The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,479 Member
    @iRun_Butterfly Welcome to our group! You will find support here. A lot of us have done Annie Grace's free 30 day AF challenge, Look under the Alcohol Experiment online if you are interested.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2018
    joha5603 wrote: »
    I am a self-proclaimed "beer girl"

This prompted the following thoughts on myself:

Since going AF, I can't help noticing a number of my friends who seem to define themselves by their drinking, and are always posting pictures of themselves with a drink.

I also realised something else the other day.

I define myself by not being cliché.

I think that's a big part of what's helped me change to being so healthy and loving creativity again.

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @Orphia Never mind, I looked up the word cliche!! But you can still expand on it.

I want to express my sympathies to you on the death of your "Tomorrow You" friend <3 The last time I was on the Less Alcohol thread I had seen your comment about her death, but I was too busy getting my stick out of the hornet's nest & got a little bit self asbsorbed.

It sounds like you are taking care of yourself through this, yet, I know how difficult losing a good friend can be. My BFF died after a year long battle with ovarian cancer a few months ago. So, my heart goes out to you :'(
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Happy Friday all!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    salleewins wrote: »
    JenT304 wrote: »
    I read this on the Alcohol Experiment Website this morning. The words are not mine but I love the message:

I have been AF for 140 days give or take a few. One of the most eye opening and freeing realizations has been that, the "I need a drink" feeling that would hit me every. single. day, at different times and in various circumstances, was really just life or my body trying to communicate something to me like: You need more water, You need to eat a big healthy green salad, Kid # 4 needs a hug, Kid # 2 needs you to have a conversation with her, You need to take a nap, You need to exercise, You need to address that 'to do' list, You and hubby need a night out, you need to stop thinking about yourself and do something kind for someone else. You need to call your mother!

I certainly did not need a shot of poison! That 'I need a drink' feeling is a lie that I had allowed to overshadow every other real need in my life. It was an excuse to not deal with life. Now when 'that' feeling hits, I take a moment and analyze exactly what is going on around me and within me and figure out what I really need. It is definitely NOT "I need a drink!"

Hi! Great to read this! I so can relate. Last day of work was yesterday for 3 weeks. For the newcomers, btw, welcome, glad you are here. I am almost 7 months without a drink!! Anyways after work, which has been horrid most of the time, for about 10 months now, I thought I would like a drink. The clients that I have now have driven me fricken out of my mind, Dad died in May, his would have been birthday this week etc. So I reasoned it out again. No drink. Do I really want to sleep my vacation away and have nothing to show for it?? Do I want to gain weight as with drinking the diet pretty much goes out the window as with exercise. Do I want to give up how happy and overall calmer that I have been? Do I want to look sickly again. Even throwing up in the morning, rooting around where I left the last bottle? Fo I want to spend time getting rid of all the evidence etc etc. I wasn't always like that either. As the problems kept coming, so the drinking increased. Then I drank for every reason there was. I told myself that I am beyond exhaustion, I will look for new work, I need to drink water, feel free to do what I want, drink my water when I want, too, get a lunch break, process Dad leaving and do nothing for a change. That is more like it. Thanks for listening. Maybe it can help you in some way.

Great post! You are inspiring. And I love how you share your thoughts- sorry about Dad’s passing. Xo
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @JenT304 Have a GREAT vacation with your Fam & tons of fun with your grandbabies...I love being a Granny!! I get to be with my youngest (10 yr old) grandson this weekend for a folk festival in a neighboring city. So much more enjoyment being sober to actually engage in stuff instead of being preoccupied with drinking.

@joha5603 I really like your way of dealing with socializing by focusing on healthy activities. I need to get more active. My job is relatively physical, but apparently your body gets used to the movement so it's important to change it up. That is really where I need to progress. Just even walking. Anyway, sounds like you have a good grip.

@RubyRed427 Have fun making good memories on your night out!!

@whitpauly Happy Friday (almost over LOL)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!! <3