A marathon for little ol me?

Options

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Gosh i'm sorry lol your answer reminded me of another question I had...
    I normally don't eat breakfast because I have to take my thyroid meds on an empty stomach, but for race day should I eat breakfast? I feel like I might need some fuel for marathon distances? My meds have a long term effect, so skipping one day wouldn't hurt me.. Or is it better to just do what you are used to doing on race day?
    Thanks again for all your great advice everyone!!! So grateful :)

i take thyroid meds - what i do on race days or even long run days is set my alarm to take them at 3am and then go back to sleep for a couple of hours - then i can have something before i head out on my run

That's a really good idea!! Thank you :)
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    So i'm looking at fuel options.. someone mentioned stingers honey chews which sounded really good, but then I looked up the ingredients and nutrition and they look exactly like mini stroopwafels which are way cheaper. Is it just a marketing gimmick towards fitness? Or am I missing something? both around 150 cal, 10 g sugar, 20 g carbs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F1LNDI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    vs
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015JT37J2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A148ID22TT2IPE&psc=1

Would it do me more harm than good to just eat the cookies labeled cookies? Lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So i'm looking at fuel options.. someone mentioned stingers honey chews which sounded really good, but then I looked up the ingredients and nutrition and they look exactly like mini stroopwafels which are way cheaper. Is it just a marketing gimmick towards fitness? Or am I missing something? both around 150 cal, 10 g sugar, 20 g carbs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F1LNDI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    vs
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015JT37J2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A148ID22TT2IPE&psc=1

I have a pal on here who eats roast potatoes... whatever works! :laugh:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

vs

I have a pal on here who eats roast potatoes... whatever works! :laugh:

Definitely whatever works. I don’t do as well with the waffles-they are a bit like gels for me (too much at once and they don’t store well half-eaten).

I use these (in assorted flavors):

Honey Stinger Organic Energy Chews, Cherry Blossom, 1.8 Ounce (Pack of 12) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002138O4I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qWhEBbZ82HXMQ

They are like gummies so they transport well and are a very small dose of sugar at a time (which is what works for me).

But-people eat all kinds of things. Whatever works for you is what works.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    That's what the long runs in training are for - you get to try various options and see what works and what doesn't. I tried Honey Stingers and felt like I had grit stuck in my throat. Some people love them.

FWIW - I take my thyroid meds at night. I also don't think it would hurt to take your meds when you get up on race day and then eat. They may be less effective with food (especially if you eat food with minerals that interfere with the medicine) but it won't make you sick.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    My favorites are the Gu gels in the espresso, chocolate, caramel, and vanilla flavors... I see that they have a chai flavor I haven’t tried yet and I’m sure I’ll love that one too 😂 then if I want something fruity I like the gummies/blocks (I like both the Gus and the cliff blocks equally). The gels are easier to eat on the go than the blocks in my opinion.

I prefer a little caffeine with my energy so I love the options with the fancy gels/blocks and I also get heartburn easily with solid foods, but if you find something cheaper that works for you do it! Some people like to eat dates or bananas etc. Try stuff out and choose based on what you want/need/can afford/what doesn’t upset your tummy!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    That's what the long runs in training are for - you get to try various options and see what works and what doesn't. I tried Honey Stingers and felt like I had grit stuck in my throat. Some people love them.

FWIW - I take my thyroid meds at night. I also don't think it would hurt to take your meds when you get up on race day and then eat. They may be less effective with food (especially if you eat food with minerals that interfere with the medicine) but it won't make you sick.

I only space my Synthroid out 30 minutes from eating so tomorrow morning before my half I will get up between 5-5:30 and eat around 6 AM - 1 or 2 slices of toast with peanut butter and a cup of coffee. I'll be bringing some Clif Blocks with me on the run. I tried using honey stinger gel on a run once and it made me gag.

I should probably go to sleep now...
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Such great advice, will use many of ideas too!!!!
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

I only space my Synthroid out 30 minutes from eating so tomorrow morning before my half I will get up between 5-5:30 and eat around 6 AM - 1 or 2 slices of toast with peanut butter and a cup of coffee. I'll be bringing some Clif Blocks with me on the run. I tried using honey stinger gel on a run once and it made me gag.

I should probably go to sleep now...

Good luck!!! Althought you're probably running right now lol 😁
  • FL_Hiker
    Options
    As far as electrolytes go would it be okay if I just took some salt packets (like you get at fast food places)? I love salt, so no problem eating it straight up. How many of those would be necessary ? Or is it better to carry some sort of electrolyte gels or something?
  • WickAndArtoo
    edited August 2018
    Options
    As far as electrolytes go would it be okay if I just took some salt packets (like you get at fast food places)? I love salt, so no problem eating it straight up. How many of those would be necessary ? Or is it better to carry some sort of electrolyte gels or something?

You lose other electrolytes than salt, you can make your own for cheaper options if you feel that you need an electrolyte supplement. When I was running in FL heat I used ultima, I now use Nuun if I need it (although that’s super rare since I am in a much cooler climate and have gotten more experienced-ie runnign is easier).

But basically if you DO need a supp, salt isn’t going to be all you need to keep balanced.
  • FL_Hiker
    Options

You lose other electrolytes than salt, you can make your own for cheaper options if you feel that you need an electrolyte supplement. When I was running in FL heat I used ultima, I now use Nuun if I need it (although that’s super rare since I am in a much cooler climate and have gotten more experienced-ie runnign is easier).

But basically if you DO need a supp, salt isn’t going to be all you need to keep balanced.

Ah that makes sense. I'm looking a the Nuun... do you mix them in a drink? If the race provides gatoraide or similar would that be sufficient instead? This is so much more complicated than I thought lol.
  • WickAndArtoo
    edited August 2018
    Options

Ah that makes sense. I'm looking a the Nuun... do you mix them in a drink? If the race provides gatoraide or similar would that be sufficient instead? This is so much more complicated than I thought lol.

Nuun is mixed into a drink, I drink mine before the run so I don't have to mess with it or put it into my water I carry. I’m not sure how Gatorade works since I have never drank that. But also depending on your fuel/body/temp of race day you my not need to worry about the electrolytes as much as you are. Do you already know the specific race you will be running? Sometimes they will say what they use at the hydration stations on the websites.

Edit: for a marathon I would be using my hydration vest with plain water then bring smaller flasks with the Nuun premixed in if my other fuel didn’t satisfy my electrolyte needs. Sorry I forgot you were doing a full not half. In my opinion it is NOT smart to rely on the hydration stations for this situation because you should be prepared to fill your body’s needs when you body needs it, otherwise you could risk heat exhaustion etc. IMO find something that works for you and a way to carry it. Ultima is nice bc it’s a powder and can be mixed on the go, Nuun tablets take a long time to dissolve.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I think you're overthinking it at the moment. Just go and train, all the nutrition questions are eight weeks away from needing to be thought about.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

Its okay to use what the race provides, but trybitbout and train with it ahead of time. Race day is a terrible time to find out that tropical punch Gatorade gives you runner's trots. Also, as a previous poster says, you will want to carry your own regardless so you can drink on your own schedule.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i prefer chews over gu-s but i'm learning to deal with them.
    i use honeystingers most often now. the waffles are a good prerace thing. rather than futz with it during the race.
    how i do for a half, and i plan on just expanding for the full. ymmv

prerace waffle or peanut buttery bar 15 min before.
    i have a water bottle of water
    i drink gatorade at every station.
    i eat a fuel item at mile 4 and then every three miles which is about 36 min give or take.

you need to fuel before you think you need it. hydration is important.

it's not super complicated. if you have a running store nearby (preferably local people) they will help you out
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options

I think you're overthinking it at the moment. Just go and train, all the nutrition questions are eight weeks away from needing to be thought about.

This. You only need to worry about building your conditioning for now. You have months of long runs ahead of you to figure everything else out.

Electrolytes - most people are fine with the liquid provided by the organizers. Really elite racers use custom blends, but that's probably overkill for the 99.9% of us that don't run 150 minute marathons. That said, if you already have experience with a different product in the Florida heat then go for it.

Nutrition - this one you'll have to play with since everybody is different. I just started using GUs and seem to be doing OK with them but I'm lucky in that I don't usually have a sensitive stomach. I know many people who prefer to carry bananas or dried fruit instead though over long distances I prefer the convenience of a pre-packaged gel/chew.

Yes, it might sound silly to some to learn how to 'not drink' during a run but this preference is more a matter of convenience than anything else. Not having to worry about carrying water on anything but your weekly long runs is really nice and it also means that you'll generally be fine to use only with the water provided by the organizers on race day. Basically, it's one less thing to worry about (if you want proof that some people do find this to be a complication, do a quick search on threads that ask about the best strategies to manage water during a run).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    If your race has water every mile, you won't need to carry any. If it's every 2-3, you might want to bring your own, especially if it's hot. When I've carried water, I didn't need it. The only race where I needed it was in Arizona in February and it was hotter than usual that year. Nuun tabs are just dropped into the water bottle and they dissolve. I take Gatorade at every other water stop if the water is every two miles.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i do like brooks