August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @elise4270 - I am working on my DH so far no go... but I haven't given up. Also @HonuNui is this run up to the volcano that is erupting? That could be really scary!

Maybe you should just go... he can stay. Man the house. Can not pass on @HonuNui 's generous offer.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I am super envious hearing about the Hawaii plans! I'd love to go, but we've got some Life Changes on the horizon that are sucking up all available financial and spoon resources. I'll have to live vicariously this time.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Hey team! I need some help. My wife does not like the water bottles that yoy have to suck (with her asthma they are hard to use). Does anyone know what other options there might be?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Five treadmill miles tonight. Took me about 50 minutes and the girl on the treadmill next to me was on her cell phone for the entire time. I wandered off to foam-roll my legs and when I came back she was still yapping. I went for my shower and then as I was leaving the gym I could see her and she was still on her phone. Yes, I'm old and grouchy. Bite me.
    @BruinsGal_91 - Another reason I hate working out at the gym... I have been in to lift weights and had people take up an entire section ('no you can't use this bench/area or weights because I am using them') and then sit there and yap on the phone. It is so inconsiderate and annoying. If you want to talk go in the changing room or outside or in your car or where ever, otherwise workout already!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Hey team! I need some help. My wife does not like the water bottles that yoy have to suck (with her asthma they are hard to use). Does anyone know what other options there might be?

The collapsible soft bottles that you can squeeze instead?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    08/01/18 :::: 6.3 :::: 6.3
    08/02/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 9.9
    08/03/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 9.9
    08/04/18 :::: 14.3 :::: 24.2
    08/05/18 :::: 5.2 :::: 29.4
    08/06/18 :::: 3.8 :::: 33.2
    08/07/18 :::: 5.0 :::: 38.2
    08/08/18 :::: 6.1 :::: 44.3
    08/09/18 :::: 14.2 :::: 58.4
    08/10/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 58.4
    08/11/18 :::: 5.2 :::: 63.6
    08/12/18 :::: 4.1 :::: 67.7
    08/13/18 :::: 4.1 :::: 71.8
    08/14/18 :::: 4.0 :::: 75.9
    08/15/18 :::: 5.9 :::: 81.7
    08/16/18 :::: 15.0 :::: 96.7
    08/17/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 96.7
    08/18/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 96.7
    08/19/18 :::: 7.1 :::: 103.8
    08/20/18 :::: 3.7 :::: 107.5
    08/21/18 :::: 4.0 :::: 111.5
    08/22/18 :::: 5.5 :::: 117.0

Tonight's group speedwork was hills - I was already planning to skip and do a base run only, so I was kind of happy it was a hill workout I was missing. I was not up for it after Sunday's race and with a long race this weekend. I ran for an hour at an pretty easy pace around the track and called it a day.

8/26/18 18.12 Challenge, Sackets Harbor, NY
    10/28/18 Marine Corps Marathon, Arlington VA

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »

Every bottle I have that fits on a hydration belt can be squeezed. With the push-pull cap, sucking seems easier than squeezing to me; with the "race cap" (like a camelback valve), squeezing seems easier. The wild card is, squeezing works better in warm weather than in cold weather.

Of course, I won't get all of the water out of the bottle by squeezing; but at the bottom of the bottle I tend to unscrew the lid and just drink the remainder anyway. If the runner in question runs a back of the pack type pace, just unscrewing the cap to drink might be a viable solution even when the water isn't almost all gone. The idea is, it's just like carrying a non-runners bottle of water, except the bottle fits snugly in the hydration belt so the runner doesn't have the weight in a hand all the time.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @HonuNui which airport should we fly into?
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Either Hilo (ito)or Kona (koa)(Big Island). Hilo is 20 miles from us, Kona is 70, but fares are usually MUCH cheaper to fly into Kona, and the drive takes about 80 minutes...and you pass Costco on the way! (ok, it is a big deal for us to make a "costco trip")

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »

Every bottle I have that fits on a hydration belt can be squeezed. With the push-pull cap, sucking seems easier than squeezing to me; with the "race cap" (like a camelback valve), squeezing seems easier. The wild card is, squeezing works better in warm weather than in cold weather.

Of course, I won't get all of the water out of the bottle by squeezing; but at the bottom of the bottle I tend to unscrew the lid and just drink the remainder anyway. If the runner in question runs a back of the pack type pace, just unscrewing the cap to drink might be a viable solution even when the water isn't almost all gone. The idea is, it's just like carrying a non-runners bottle of water, except the bottle fits snugly in the hydration belt so the runner doesn't have the weight in a hand all the time.

Was just coming in to say something like this. I use a fuel belt and usually just squeeze/squirt when drinking.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Urg. Two days out from my half and I am sick!!! Annoying virus, courtesy of the smallest, which has hit the family hard. I started yesterday with yoga but kept it gentle. By the time I got home, via the supermarket, I was feeling feverish so hopped into an epsomsalts bath for and hour then bed for two more. A bit of lunch and a few drugs was followed by a massage. By then end of that I was feeling so much better. Today is definitely better but I'm headed back to bed now (at least the children are back at school/kindy today). Hoping I'll bounce tomorrow. Fingers and toes tightly crossed.

I feel like I'm fighting something too. I assume though, that it's allergies. I had a headache and felt feveriah and a bit of sinus congestion. Hope this doesn't mean an early flu season. I just wanna sleep and eat. Ohh hibernate. I want to hibernate 😊
  • Elise4270
    Options
    DH bought airline tickets to Hawaii January 4th and return the 11th. Looks like we're doing this.

Anyone else interested in the Hawaii ultra relay?

My wife would say yes in a heart beat, but my bank account would say no even faster... :(

If there's anything Dennis taught us, it's that you can't put off a marathon (ultra) in another state. What's 5K in the grand scheme of things?

Cmon. This race has 4000ft elevation gain. That's right up your alley. Spoil the misses. Go to Hawaii.

I would love to run it. Err hike it. Whatever :) But we literally just this month bought a house, remember? All of our cash was scrapped together for the downpayment. Living paycheck to paycheck for a while! :DThe American Dream! :lol:

American dream can be financed by Capitol one, Citi, Chase... I'm just kidding. I'm not advocating financial irresponsibly.
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2018
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Either Hilo (ito)or Kona (koa)(Big Island). Hilo is 20 miles from us, Kona is 70, but fares are usually MUCH cheaper to fly into Kona, and the drive takes about 80 minutes...and you pass Costco on the way! (ok, it is a big deal for us to make a "costco trip")

Haha! Thanks!

ETA We'll do Kona. Stop at Costco. And enjoy the drive.