The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi I'm 39 and will be 40 in two weeks. I've got well over 100 pounds to lose. As possibly the very last member of Generation X (my two minute younger twin considers herself the first Millennial) I'm also really cynical so motivational phrases like "journey" and "lifestyle change" don't sit well with me, and I don't fit in many places where people are trying to improve themselves. But I am making an earnest effort to eat better and move more so add me if you want. I'll be encouraging but not fake about it

I lost 97 pounds and, although a bit of a curmudgeon myself and the only journeys I do are international backpacking/adventure trips, I will say it was a total and complete "lifestyle change." My food and fitness had to change completely, and the way I lived my life had to change. Eating out went from nearly daily to maybe twice a month--if that ain't a lifestyle change, don't know what is. But welcome here to the land of cynics and pollyannas. You'll find folks you fit in with.
  • DeshotelK
    DeshotelK Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    do you stretch it? I do the laying on the floor knees to chest ones. I had a back flare up in March it was the worst in years I could barely walk trying to prevent that again

Sounds like what I was going through. I do that stretch - each knee individually, then both, then supine twists (I think this helps me the most). It seems like stretching is getting just as long as the workouts!

That's what was happening to me. It was getting to be that a lower back stretch session was the length of a workout. I've recently given up on my normal workouts and switched to alternating days of yoga and running and must say my back is thanking me. I feel great for the first time in quite a while. Working for me so I think I'll stick to it.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    ... But welcome here to the land of cynics and pollyannas. You'll find folks you fit in with.

That made me laugh out loud, Jackie! And it's so true. I am both of those things, depending on the day.

• sdudley08
    sdudley08 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sounds like what I was going through. I do that stretch - each knee individually, then both, then supine twists (I think this helps me the most). It seems like stretching is getting just as long as the workouts![/quote]

LOL, I try to stretch 30 - 60 minutes a day. My stretching is often longer than the work outs, but necessary for me to do what I love (dance).

• Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday peeps. ☺
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday let's get today done. Welcome to the weekend
  • dkjk1105
    dkjk1105 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Good morning group. Happy FRIDAY!
  • TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Good morning peeps! Lets all have a fantastic Friday! Anyone doing anything fun this weekend?
  • runnergirl089
    runnergirl089 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    TomFit18 wrote: »
    Good morning peeps! Lets all have a fantastic Friday! Anyone doing anything fun this weekend?

Dropping my son off at college!
  • steeler736
    steeler736 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just turned 55 and can not keep the weight off like when I was younger, so trying this app again.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Sending hugs to all you parents that are dropping your kids off at college. I know that feeling! My husband and I sat in the car after dropping our youngest off and both cried like babies. That was a few years ago. It did get easier. :heart:
  • BEASTFIELD314
    BEASTFIELD314 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!
  • runnergirl089
    runnergirl089 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    steeler736 wrote: »
    Just turned 55 and can not keep the weight off like when I was younger, so trying this app again.

Welcome back! I understand what you're saying. I have to eat less and work out harder but my body doesn't want me to.
  • steeler736
    steeler736 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks, thats why i decided to come back, if i record everything it may help.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!!!!
    I have a boy home with a sore throat today. Hoping it’s not the two week sore throat I had earlier this month
    We have friends coming for dinner tomorrow so he’ll be helping me get groceries for that. Have a great day!!!!
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Yay for Friday. Beautiful weather in NJ so a late afternoon run followed by evening Yoga. Headed out mushroom foraging tomorrow early morning and excited to find a new patch less than 3 hours away. (Yes, I know what I'm doing, lol.) I've got the weekend to myself and am looking forward to it. Carpe diem!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Had to share this! TGIF - and all the other days, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br-sq_Sb3uk
  • Cardioguy81
    Cardioguy81 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    5.5 miles this morning, core workout and chest/shoulders, cool off in the pool with the kids for 3 hours.
  • dragonghost
    dragonghost Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday i hope every one has a awesome an safe weekend
  • Cardioguy81
    Cardioguy81 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When I'm calorie counting but my prego wife polishes off a qdoba burrito, chips and queso then wants IHOP pancakes... :(:(