Interesting Studies: Probably low carb related in one way or another

Options

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    First controlled feeding trial of the typical diet recommended for good health...

A randomized controlled-feeding trial based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans on cardiometabolic health indexes

The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGA) recommend nutrient needs be met by increasing fruit, vegetable, and whole-grain intake with the use of low-fat or fat-free dairy products and by reducing sodium, solid fats, and added sugars. However, the DGA, as a dietary pattern, have not been tested in an intervention trial.

Conclusions
    The consumption of a DGA dietary pattern for 8 wk without weight loss reduced systolic blood pressure. There were no differences between the DGA and typical American diet (TAD) diets in fasting insulin, glucose, indexes of insulin resistance, or fasting lipids. This trial was registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as NCT02298725.

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Efficacy of ketogenic diet on body composition during resistance training in trained men: a randomized controlled trial

Our results suggest that a KD might be an alternative dietary approach to decrease fat mass and visceral adipose tissue without decreasing lean body mass; however, it might not be useful to increase muscle mass during positive energy balance in men undergoing RT for 8 weeks.

Source

Critique (Blog): The Ketogenic Diet & Your Gains: Study Shows Body Comp. Benefits (Fat ↓), but Decreased Muscle Gains, However...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Efficacy of ketogenic diet on body composition during resistance training in trained men: a randomized controlled trial

Our results suggest that a KD might be an alternative dietary approach to decrease fat mass and visceral adipose tissue without decreasing lean body mass; however, it might not be useful to increase muscle mass during positive energy balance in men undergoing RT for 8 weeks.

Source

Critique (Blog): The Ketogenic Diet & Your Gains: Study Shows Body Comp. Benefits (Fat ↓), but Decreased Muscle Gains, However...

Really interesting. Thanks for posting this.

Once again I wish researchers had used fat adapted athletes who had been eating ketogenic for at least 2-3 months already so the DXA scans would not have been potentially affected by lowered glycogen stores. Maybe then we could truly see if lean mass was negatively affected by a KD. As it is, we can't really tell.

It would have been nice if caloric intake was more guaranteed. Did they actually eat their 39 kcal/kg body weight or did the ketogenic dieters eat less? If they did eat their hyper caloric amounts, then there was some magic in both groups - just more in the KD group.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Source

Once again I wish researchers had used fat adapted athletes who had been eating ketogenic for at least 2-3 months already so the DXA scans would not have been potentially affected by lowered glycogen stores. Maybe then we could truly see if lean mass was negatively affected by a KD. As it is, we can't really tell.

It would have been nice if caloric intake was more guaranteed. Did they actually eat their 39 kcal/kg body weight or did the ketogenic dieters eat less? If they did eat their hyper caloric amounts, then there was some magic in both groups - just more in the KD group.

Even so, performance is hindered with keto, which is why CKD is beneficial. If performance is hindered, than volume wont go up as much.

But i do agree that it would be interesting to see if there is a difference with fat adapted individuals.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Source

Even so, performance is hindered with keto, which is why CKD is beneficial. If performance is hindered, than volume wont go up as much.

But i do agree that it would be interesting to see if there is a difference with fat adapted individuals.

Before fat adaptation I would agree that performance is hindered, as to afterwards, I find it doubtful since lack of glycogen seems to be the cause behind poor performance and fat adapted individuals don't appear to lack glycogen in the muscles.

Do you gave anything proving that? At this point I think it is still just theoretical. I don't doubt that CKD works, but I'd like to see the evidence that it is needed. KWIM?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Source

Before fat adaptation I would agree that performance is hindered, as to afterwards, I find it doubtful since lack of glycogen seems to be the cause behind poor performance and fat adapted individuals don't appear to lack glycogen in the muscles.

Do you gave anything proving that? At this point I think it is still just theoretical. I don't doubt that CKD works, but I'd like to see the evidence that it is needed. KWIM?

Most of it is experience in the gym, so largely anecdotal. But if you take any keto lifter, and carb load them, they will see huge increases in their lifts; several of the keto lifters in my gym have noticed this as well. The is a pretty known phenomenon with post competition body builders. I haven't been fat adapted but my best workouts are post carb loading/glycogen replenishment days.

Unfortunately, in the absence of evidence, we do have to rely on experience and anecdotal evidence until someone is willing to fund such an experiment.

I believe in that article there is an experiment (wilson et al, IIRC) that carb loaded their ketogenic lifters before dexa scans, which is a trick to show increases in lean body mass.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    It will be interesting to see what comes out in the next few years on the topic!
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    It will be interesting to see what comes out in the next few years on the topic!

I agree. It'll also be nice if we rediscover what we already knew and stop with the low fat dairy, lean meat, 10+ servings of vegetables, healthy whole grains & fiber nonsense. Or if we insist that's what we should be eating at least produce some RCT's to back it up.

1932 paper: Lack of cereals (cereal grains) and abundance of Vitamin D and calcium appeared responsible for absence of tooth decay:
  • psuLemon
    Options

I agree. It'll also be nice if we rediscover what we already knew and stop with the low fat dairy, lean meat, 10+ servings of vegetables, healthy whole grains & fiber nonsense. Or if we insist that's what we should be eating at least produce some RCT's to back it up.

1932 paper: Lack of cereals (cereal grains) and abundance of Vitamin D and calcium appeared responsible for absence of tooth decay:

The biggest issues isn't that its low fat, lean protein, etc... The problem actually is they have a standard recommendation which doesn't account for individual difference in eating styles.

While it was unintentional, i somewhat follow the recommendation. I lost and kept off 50 lbs for 6 years. But it aligned to my natural eating habits which is why i was successful.

If anything, i think it would be more productive if they added a bit more protein and a bit less carbs. Since protein has the highest satiety factor, along with fiber, the two combined should provide for the highest chance of weight loss and weight stability.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Re: Brain fogginess, gas and bloating: a link between SIBO, probiotics and metabolic acidosis

Source

Probiotic use is a link between brain fogginess, severe bloating

D-lactic acid is known to be temporarily toxic to brain cells, interfering with cognition, thinking and sense of time. They found some patients had two to three times the normal amount of D-lactic acid in their blood. Some said their brain fogginess -- which lasted from a half hour to many hours after eating -- was so severe that they had to quit their jobs.

The report in the journal Clinical and Translational Gastroenterology appears to be the first time the connection has been made between brain fogginess, bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, high levels of D-lactic acid in the gut and probiotic use, Rao says.

"What we now know is that probiotic bacteria have the unique capacity to break down sugar and produce D-lactic acid. So if you inadvertently colonize your small bowel with probiotic bacteria, then you have set the stage for potentially developing lactic acidosis and brain fogginess," Rao says.

Media
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    The Carnivore Diet Is the Latest Fad to Ignore That Food Does More Than Just Feed Us by Alan Levinovitz

"One valuable lesson of the diet is that human bodies are remarkably resilient: You can *kitten* without fiber and avoid scurvy without vegetables!"

Article making the rounds that weirdly I rather liked. It also seems to have moved people beyond their concerns over scurvy and constipation and they're now worried about eating disorders, brain damage and colon cancer. It was all rather funny because I think they might be serious - hard to tell. lol
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Nutritional Ketosis for Weight Management and Reversal of Metabolic Syndrome

Nutritional ketosis has been found to improve metabolic and inflammatory markers, including lipids, HbA1c, high-sensitivity CRP, fasting insulin and glucose levels, and aid in weight management. We discuss these findings and elaborate on potential mechanisms of ketones for promoting weight loss, decreasing hunger, and increasing satiety.

Humans have evolved with the capacity for metabolic flexibility and the ability to use ketones for fuel. During states of low dietary carbohydrate intake, insulin levels remain low and ketogenesis takes place. These conditions promote breakdown of excess fat stores, sparing of lean muscle, and improvement in insulin sensitivity.

Source via Bikman
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    The Challenge of Reforming Nutritional Epidemiologic Research

The emerging picture of nutritional epidemiology is difficult to reconcile with good scientific principles. The field needs radical reform.

Article

• AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Study on the levels of glycosylated lipoprotein in patients with coronary artery atherosclerosis.

CONCLUSION:

Hyperlipidemia is not an important cause of coronary atherosclerosis. High glucose levels and glycosylated lipoprotein are of high importance in the development and progression of coronary atherosclerosis.

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Eating a diet that is low in carbohydrates could mean you die younger, a 25-year study has suggested

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/food-plans-that-replace-carbohydrates-with-protein-and-fat-are-giving-wrong-advice-says-new-study

Food plans which replace carbs with protein and fat, such as the Ketogenic or Atkins diets, have gained popularity, and endorsed by celebrities such as Gwyneth Paltrow and Kim Kardashian.

But research found those with low carb diets died an average of four years earlier than those with moderate intakes. Even people with high intakes fared better than those who cut out carbohydrates.

“Low-carb diets that replace carbohydrates with protein or fat are gaining widespread popularity as a health and weight loss strategy,” said study leader Dr Sara Seidelmann, from Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston. “However, our data suggests that animal-based low carbohydrate diets might be associated with shorter overall lifespan and should be discouraged.

“If one chooses to follow a low carbohydrate diet, then exchanging carbohydrates for more plant-based fats and proteins might actually promote healthy ageing in the long term.”

For the study, which was published in Lancet Public Health, researchers followed 15,428 adults aged 45-64 over two decades from 1987. The researchers found that, from age 50, average life expectancy was 83 years for those with moderate carbohydrate intake (50-55 per cent of daily calories), which was four years longer than those with very low carbohydrate consumption (less than 40 per cent of calories) who lived an average of 79 years. Those with a high carb intake (greater than 70 per cent of daily calories), lived until an average age of 82.

Researchers also found that replacing carbohydrates with protein and fat from animal sources was associated with a higher risk of mortality than moderate carbohydrate intake whereas replacing with plant-based foods was linked to a lower risk of mortality.

The authors speculated that Western-type diets that heavily restrict carbohydrates often lead to greater consumption of animal proteins and fats, which may drive inflammation, biological ageing and oxidative stress.

Catherine Collins, an NHS dietitian, said: “No aspect of nutrition is so hotly contended on social media than the carb versus fat debate, despite the long-term evidence on health benefits supporting the higher carb argument.

“Yet supporters of the cult of Low Carb High Fat eating will no doubt disagree with this newest research. Such a stance is at odds with advice from WHO and government health bodies that recommend a carb intake to provide half our daily calorie needs.”

Prof Nita Forouhi, from the MRC Epidemiology Unit, University of Cambridge, added: “This finding is spot on in line with the Public Health England dietary guidelines in the UK.”