The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Wishing everyone a super,sober Saturday! B)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I dont see any problem with it. Im sure it doesnt make you drunk/buzzed so it cant be the same thing when it is boiled. Like you my friend in AA avoids all foods with alcohol in it even a small ingredient in a dessert. I dont think we need to be that puritanical like you said. I’m sure others would disagree with us.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    @ donimfp do not worry about the Marsala!! The alcohol cooks out. I am still using wine etc for cooking.
  • SunnyDays930
    Options
    @MissMay Great to see you here! I'm so glad you found our thread!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Hands up for me on getting sicker as the day progressed! I'd often hafta drink a little (or a lot) more alcohol just to get food to stay down,get the dizziness to stop,etc those were NOT the days! So happy to not be feeling like that,cripes what a sad state,ANY crappy sober day is still better than those gross drinkin days <3
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    @lorrainequiche59 I am sorry to hear of your friends problems, especially the health concerns that make it so difficult for anybody to focus on much else. I have been with friends who are fighting health problems and tried to be there for them and they reacted according to how they were feeling. It wasn’t always easy to understand the harsh words they threw at me at first but the realization that I was just a safety valve for them when they were nervous and scared allowed me to stick with them and be supportive.
    Right now your friend is pushing you away and all you can do is try to understand and be there if they choose to reach out. At least you are AF during this time, I went thru a situation with a friend while I was still drinking and my emotional control was less than desired.
    I hope they have the opportunity to enjoy improving health
  • SunnyDays930
    Options
    @lorrainequiche59 I have a friend who has had 3 DUI's and went to jail for a month on the last one. That was 5 years ago and it basically took all that time to get her life back. Random alcohol tests,absolutely no drinking etc. The judge even told her she could not be in anyplace that sold alcohol after 9 pm. Can you imagine how disruptive that would be to your life? Thankfully she is younger and got her act together but that was a real nightmare for her. She is grateful she never hurt anyone else.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I had a fitful sleep last night. I was thinking how fortunate I am that I never got caught drinking while driving. I can manage to turn anything around to be about ME!! LOL

I need to be clear about my relationship with this "friend." This was a "drinking buddy." This was not a lengthy relationship & I say was because there is no relationship with this person any longer. I am good friends (long time friend) with the person who confided her current issue to me & there were many times my former "friend," aka drinking buddy, tried to undermine that relationship, which was a huge red flag to me.

I was in the process of developing a friendship with her, but our common bond was wine. Not a good basis for a friendship especially when I was questioning my relationship with alcohol...There was a combination of factors besides my stopping my drinking that led to the demise of any further relationship with this person. As we all know it isn't only the actual act of drinking, but the thinking behind the drinking & the negative, critical spirit that takes over when alcohol becomes the actual "friend." This person, apparently, has a long history of being a downer, allowing jealousy to poison her relationships etc etc. At one point in my life I would have jumped in with both feet to be the hero in her rescue but I'm passing on that one. I am beyond spending way too much energy trying to fix someone else & beginning to spend that energy on fixing myself.

@Kelly2yB I appreciate your kind words. Yes, I'm very thankful I am AF right now cause it's a slippery slope that I was also on, so this is NO judgement of her, it just really has rocked my world for some reason & I'm still in the process of figuring that out.

I absolutely feel some compassion for her, but she made a really stupid choice...bottom line. If I was in her spot I would be feeling that same way about myself. She had a lot of help after her first DUI & the close friend of mine driving her to all her doc appts, treatment appts etc etc & wherever else she needed to go and NOW this same person who bent over backwards to help is reeling from this latest STUPID decision!! Yes, there are some sad issues underlying her drinking, but her behavior is totally selfish!!!! I am feeling some anger here....tired of dealing with selfish, stupid people. So, I choose not to. That's my bottom line.

I truly hope she gets the help she needs, but I'm not holding my breath on that one & i need to take care of myself here. Is that selfish?? I prefer to think of it as self-FULL because if I don't take care of myself, I will be no good to anyone else! I'm not getting involved in anyone else's drama & I'm certainly not interested in being there for her & that is OK!! I will definitely be there for my actual friend who is left to pick up the pieces once again, but still have to set up some boundaries around that too.

@JenT304 this person is same age as me, 59 years old. She was just beginning to get on her feet from the last one & knocked her feet out from under herself. This was HER choice! I do feel bad for this person on a certain level, BUT it has given me pause to reflect on my own past STUPID actions & I think it is helping me to realize how dangerous & poisonous alcohol is aside from the physical aspect...This situation is VERY SOBERING for me. I don't know how else to express it!!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Day 27. That’s always been my lucky number. I have high hopes for today.

Wishing all a good week.