The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @RubyRed427 No DUIs perk, perk, perk for being AF!!! I really think reflecting on my own past STUPIDITY is what kept going through my mind last night & waking me up thinking THANK GOD I did not get caught or like you said hurt someone else!! I am just SO thankful I woke up to my drinking problem before I slid to the bottom of the slippery slope!! I LOVE being sober & am really beginning to love my life as a non-drinkier...I was walking the dogs this morn & stopped as they sniff, sniff, sniffed & remember looking around thinking I love my head being CLEAR...no fogginess!! YAY!!

I SO hope we all continue to enjoy our very wise choice to be AF. Julie you are a real inspiration for me & I know you can get through the future temptations coming your way & look forward to hearing your success story <3 You GO girl!!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    @RubyRed427 No DUIs perk, perk, perk for being AF!!! I really think reflecting on my own past STUPIDITY is what kept going through my mind last night & waking me up thinking THANK GOD I did not get caught or like you said hurt someone else!! I am just SO thankful I woke up to my drinking problem before I slid to the bottom of the slippery slope!! I LOVE being sober & am really beginning to love my life as a non-drinkier...I was walking the dogs this morn & stopped as they sniff, sniff, sniffed & remember looking around thinking I love my head being CLEAR...no fogginess!! YAY!!

I SO hope we all continue to enjoy our very wise choice to be AF. Julie you are a real inspiration for me & I know you can get through the future temptations coming your way & look forward to hearing your success story <3 You GO girl!!

You inspire me as well. I love reading your posts because a lot of it mirrors what I am thinking. I agree with the fogginess. I even thought recently I see colors brighter - I guess that also relates to fogginess. My husband who does drink every night recently said that he has been dropping things lately (tipping over salt shaker things like that. ) It made me think of how alcohol in general suppresses the nervous system and probably affects every cell in our body. But I don’t say anything to him about that. To each his own. Xo
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Hi, Everyone!

Tomorrow is Day 28 for me, and I am celebrating that that is technically a month. Yay! Knock on wood, I'm really not missing drinking much at all, and I feel and look so much better. I took a "before" photo yesterday for weight-loss reasons . . . trying to lose the last of the weight. Although the photo definitely shows that I need to lose weight, I was shocked at how nice my face looked--not bloated or puffy or round, but pretty. Yay! Catch up, body!!

On the DUI discussion . . . I shared with the Less Alcohol thread some months ago that it was one of my high school students who drove drunk and killed a group of college kids--all except one in the group who was so badly burned and disfigured that she became a national symbol of the dangers of drinking and driving (Jacqueline Saburido). This kid (the student) had probably never driven drunk in his life before that; he was a real straight arrow. But he went to one party, was driving a massive SUV, and that was that. He spent some years in prison and I know he spent some time afterwards speaking to student groups. Anyway, it just drove home to me how even one episode of this risky behavior can ruin so many lives.

Kate from The Sober School has a nice entry in her Monday blog today--blogging from her Paris vacation and talking about how she is enjoying it so much alcohol free. That has been a concern of mine. I can't even imagine subtracting the vino from the Italian vacation I had in March. We didn't over-drink (no hangovers) but enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine each day. But I don't think I'd risk that again because it would be too easy to come home to my old bad patterns (like I did in March). Her post was encouraging. She also links to a really good article written by the Times of London food critic about the myth that wine is necessary, or even helpful, for appreciating food. I'd link it but I think I'd screw it up. But check out "The Sober School" if you're interested.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @donimfp Yes, I remember that chilling story. So tragic, so life altering in a million ways. My heart breaks for all involved. Just terrible.

Congrats on 28 days. I am happy you are seeing the benefits when you look in the mirror. Can you imagine how happy your liver and pancreas are as well:)

Thanks for the update on Kate’s blog. I’ll check it out now.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to see you all here, sharing your thoughts. I too have had many a morning after, grateful that I didn't have a car accident or worse. STUPID! Now I am so happy to be the designated driver whenever we go out. I'm now trying the Keto diet and though certain types of alcohol are allowed, it will be none for me. Watching Craig Beck and reading the latest news about how NO level of alcohol is safe for you, keeps me determined. I am so looking forward to Autumn walks, watching the leaves changes and feeling energetic and happy.
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    Hi Everyone <3@donimfp YAY~~28 days, technically a month...@Shortyskye 54+ days, someone at 15 days & another stat I can't remember who, & anyone I may have missed!! It's ALL wonderful. Hoping everyone has a wonderful sober day focusing on any positive changes noticed & celebrating the little sober victories :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    say something to your mom. say something to your friends

going out does not equal drinking. actually, in my area, mocktails are becoming a trend.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    joha5603 wrote: »
    Please, can anyone relate? Why do I find it so incredibly annoying that my mom starts every email with, "Hi Honey, good to hear from you. I hope the drinking thing is going okay..." Honestly, I often FORGET that I'm off the sauce, but it's obvious to me that this is as much (if not more) an issue for other people than for me. (To be fair, my mom has a few other "issues" and pigeon-holing people is part of a thing she's developed. Everything and everyone is very black/white, right/wrong with her.)

On another note, I just asked 2 girlfriends out to see a band tonight. "Oh, no way! It's Tuesday! I can't be hungover tomorrow!!" I said I was planning on not drinking and they just kinda cocked their heads at me... and silence. "Oh right... you're not drinking. And you want to go out?!!?" Well, I don't know, I still like live music.... thought I'd give it a shot. These 2 situations give me a kind of FML feeling. :(

It gets better! My mother does the same thing to me sometimes, as do other (mostly) well meaning friends. They'll say, "Will it bother you if I drink?" And I'm all like, "I changed my life for me - you do you." That got exhausting so now I just say, "nope" and carry on. Also a big live music fan here - people scoff that we would go to a show sober. I like music, not screaming over it and drinking my paycheck (a generalization that I know is not true of everyone at a concert but...) We see a lot less shows these days, but the ones we do catch are that much more special. Hope you find some sober show buddies perhaps!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    @joha5603 I think like everything else time will heal all wounds and people will come to realize that you are AF and if they drink or not or if they ask or not it just doesn't matter to you. Since I am AF over 10 years and also over 70 my memory can be a little sketchy about the early days :o We were out to dinner Saturday night and each couple brings a bottle and since I don't drink that's two bottles for the three of them. It was later in the meal and my friend spilled some of his wine on his shirt and the waitress grabbed a napkin and seltzer to help clean it up and said jokingly I hope you are not driving and almost in unison all three just pointed at me as the driver. Everyone just knows that I am AF and the driver all the time. No discussion or questions it just is.
    Your friends will come to accept or understand you aren't drinking and they can do whatever they want without it affecting you. Mothers well that's a whole other story///
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    I am on a TED talk binge. Gray area drinking is a good short video https://youtu.be/wvCMZBA7RiA
    About when you stop drinking for a few months and then go back to drinking....
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    https://youtu.be/xiK7ONxHErY

When you’re duped by alcohol...
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    @RubyRed427 Thank you for those videos especially the one by Jolene Park...I could SO relate to Gray Area drinking & I love her acronym NOURISH for things to do to rebuild your gaba, seratonin & dopamine...I need to watch it again, it is full of really helpful info.

@donimfp You're singing my tune by relating your various lapses in your drinking only to return full force after the initial brief moderation period. I'm really happy that you realize the joy that awaits you in your new AF lifestyle. You GO girl!!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @donimfp Congrats on 30 days! I’m so proud of you and your commitment to your goals. Yes, it is exciting that we dont have to depend on alcohol for anything. I’m finally in a place where I dont mourn the loss, I celebrate the gains. Too many to list. It is joyous like you said.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @lorrainequiche59 I can relate to to the grey area drinking. I lived it over and over again but especially this past January... remember I was AF from Jan. 1-St. Pat’s Day. Then, the evil monster started to creep into my life. It took a few months for me to get back to where I was before Jan. 1st.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Today, i went to my therapist. I have armed myself with lots of tools to quit this addictive drug. I go to AA weekly; I go to a therapist monthly for a tune up (not necessarily always about alcohol). I write on this thread and see that I am not alone in this journey. I read lots of books and blogs, etc.
    And lately, I have started journaling on my ipad. Every time I write an entry , I reflect on a time when I really blew it, because I was drinking. (Drinking on Easter Sunday til drunk, missing great music because I got intoxicated at concerts, etc.) You all know my story in a way.

Anyway one of my purposes for writing about the past is to remember it was not sunshine and roses - in fact most of my memories of my drinking days started of quite normal but quickly turned sour. Journaling is a great release.