Keto

Replies

• Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Started over two weeks ago (didnt take any starts as dont have a scale nor a tape)
    I cheat on the weekends a bit and some some opps. For the most part I stay around my 1200 calories and under 20 net carbs.

I can see the difference in my stomach, I've for sure lost weight around there,
    also I feel better and i have a really bad stomach that would give me a lot of pain (past issues) and this diet has helped get rid of most of that every day pain.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    gcooper7 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    So I'm in a Facebook group that says high fat is not right and that I should eat more protien and lower my fat if I want to lose weight. For months everything I've read states higher fat and moderate protien. Any thoughts suggestions or confirmations?

High fat is not necessary for Keto. The only thing that is necessary for keto is low carb.
    Here is a suggestion for your macros:
    Carbs < 20g -> this is a limit, do not exceed
    Protein -> this is a suggestion, I recommend that you exceed your protein goals every day
    Fat -> use fat to fill in for satiety, it is not needed (nor would I recommend) to reach your fat goals. The reason being the body will use the fat that you eat first for energy and then any extra body fat that you have.

That's what they say in this group as well. I just started giving it a shot yesterday, issue is it seems everything has fat in it meat wise.

Most meats do have fats, you just don't need to add extra fats to the meat dishes, or have fat bombs (treats made from fats) or put fat in your coffee (I thing BPC is an abomination and a total waste of calories). Go ahead and eat the fattier cuts of meat, just don't pound down extra sources of fat to simply meet your fat percentage for the day.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    So I'm in a Facebook group that says high fat is not right and that I should eat more protien and lower my fat if I want to lose weight. For months everything I've read states higher fat and moderate protien. Any thoughts suggestions or confirmations?

They don't call it LCHF for nothing. I am no expert but everything I have researched is careful to mention that Keto is not "High Protein" but does call for "adequate protein". Adequate may be somewhat difficult to define but I think someone defined it as three or four meat portions the size of your palm.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member

The only thing you need for ketosis is carb restriction so if you're deliberately adding more fat than you enjoy or are restricting your protein don't. It's not necessary and it's not a good idea for dieters to restrict protein at all - more is better.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    rsclause wrote: »

They don't call it LCHF for nothing. I am no expert but everything I have researched is careful to mention that Keto is not "High Protein" but does call for "adequate protein". Adequate may be somewhat difficult to define but I think someone defined it as three or four meat portions the size of your palm.

Adequate protein is 1.5-2.2g/kg or more. That is backed by several meta analyses... Active, lean and/or glycogen depleted tend to put it towards the higher end.
  • amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    Im doing keto as well and liking it so far. I was on a stuck mode and started keto and now went down 12 pounds and some inches.
  • jsb0726
    jsb0726 Posts: 27 Member

Several different views from what I’ve seen so far. Some think that high protein triggers gluconeogenesis and can kick you out of ketosis. Some believe that the glucose caused by too much protein is negligible. My view is that we want protein to spare muscle loss but our main fuel source should be fat.
    Excess protein can also be bad for the kidneys. Listen to your body is what I would say. I like experimenting a bit and seeing what works best for me.
  • gcooper7
    gcooper7 Posts: 146 Member
    jsb0726 wrote: »

Several different views from what I’ve seen so far. Some think that high protein triggers gluconeogenesis and can kick you out of ketosis. Some believe that the glucose caused by too much protein is negligible. My view is that we want protein to spare muscle loss but our main fuel source should be fat.
    Excess protein can also be bad for the kidneys. Listen to your body is what I would say. I like experimenting a bit and seeing what works best for me.

I agree with both views I believe. Too many people say this or that. I've decided and have tried to have protien and fat be some whatt even in a percentage aspec. I can't focus in macros and counting anything. Who lives line that? To me it's not fun. I've decided if it's meat, fish, eggs, and some healthier veggies I'm going to eat it. So far this helped me break through a stall and I can still lift heavy weights and feel great.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2018
    More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Protein & Gluconeogenesis

For those who want to under glucenogenesis. The fear of getting kicked out of ketosis is a stretch.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

I agree with both views I believe. Too many people say this or that. I've decided and have tried to have protien and fat be some whatt even in a percentage aspec. I can't focus in macros and counting anything. Who lives line that? To me it's not fun. I've decided if it's meat, fish, eggs, and some healthier veggies I'm going to eat it. So far this helped me break through a stall and I can still lift heavy weights and feel great.

As I understand it, excess protein is only bad for some kidneys if you already have a pre-existing kidney problem.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

As I understand it, excess protein is only bad for some kidneys if you already have a pre-existing kidney problem.

Not even then if what I've been reading has merit - and I don't know that it does - but on the surface it's looking like everything else we assumed had robust science supporting it but that doesn't appear to be the case.
  • gcooper7
    psuLemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Not even then if what I've been reading has merit - and I don't know that it does - but on the surface it's looking like everything else we assumed had robust science supporting it but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I'll have to find the article, but Eric Helms had data on super high diets (like 300g+) amd even after a year +, there was no signs of it impacting kidneys. I believe the key was maintaining adequate hydration.

I'd be interested to read it
  • gcooper7
    Since I've started this thread I've lost 61 lbs doing keto. Everyone has been helpful and encouraging.
  • amberdonahoe
    amberdonahoe Posts: 3 Member
    Since I've started this thread I've lost 61 lbs doing keto. Everyone has been helpful and encouraging.

what should i do if i feel sluggish while on keto? I felt great in the morning and by the afternoon I feel drained
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Generally the advice it to up your salt significantly - it’s often to do with electrolyte imbalances due to water loss. Also make sure you’re drinking enough water :-)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    False Evidence Appearing Real
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    False Evidence Appearing Real

Indeed. Indeed.