Just started Qsymia

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I've used phentermine before. You feel AMAZING when you take it but the side effects are super nasty. Dry mouth, anxiety, insomnia, sweating, and when the effects wear off you want to eat everything in sight. I stopped super quick and would never recommend diet pills to anyone looking to lose weight permanently. I'm having way more success just counting calories and increasing exercise, and it has a lot of the positive mood benefits without the side effects.

Yes, that was pretty much my experience with phentermine as well, although the fenfluramine took some of the edge off.

Here's my new favorite post about Phentermine: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If you're not taking Qsymia, why the heck are you gloating about what you are doing? She asked about the pill. Not for your opinions of how bad it is. Everyone knows the way to lose weight is to eat less. And whatever helps you to do it is the right way for you.

When I quit smoking, I joined a forum where I got lectured about not going cold turkey. Some people on the forum said if you don't just quit without any crutch, you won't stay quit. Well I did. And I took Welbutrin, slapped on the patch and chewed nicotine gum. I quit for 10 years.

No need to lecture. Every doctor will tell you the way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more. Everyone knows that. That's not what the person was asking you. I don't know why you people post and criticize on these threads. Don't you have anything better to do?

People are here for support, not to be told what they are doing is wrong. I've been on other sites where people ARE there to help each other. You people are relatively tame. I've seen people here trying to lose weight that have been torn to shreds. When a question is asked, if you don't have a relevant answer, go watch tv or find something else to do.

For the most part the tone of the thread has been more about making sure that OP takes the time to evaluate her relationship with food and to do some research, not about telling to not take the drug. These drugs can be dangerous and life threatening. They are meant as a tool not a magic pill. If OP doesn't reevaluate her eating habits she is destined to repeat history. She will most likely gain the weight back and could have a heart condition to go with it. Sometimes the best way you can support someone is making sure that they have all the information and aren't just sticking their head in the sand.

I hope it works out well for OP. But I, and I'm sure others do as well, also want her to have as much health as possible which includes heart health and mental health.