Options

Replies

• kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I think its a happy/comfort feeling.
    "I'm stuffed. All is right with the world"

That's part of the reason I like IF. Two big meals make me happy.

I am doing IF too, it has really clicked with me...I have lost 26 lbs since end of March. For the last 4 or 5 years I struggled with the all or nothing aspect of my eating and had no success in losing weight. Don't get me wrong I have had a few days since I started IF where I ate outside of my eating window however I always go back to IF. I think the good part is IF is becoming more ingrained in my life and even when I have a day or two where my eating is out of control and I am eating from sun up to sundown I know I will always go back to IF.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The majority of these habits are developed in early childhood, so this feels "normal" later in life. At early adulthood your genetics begin to have greater influence as opposed to environment.

The habits you develop follow a pattern. Hormones also follow this pattern. Any shifts from this pattern end up in temporary chaos while your body attempts to restore order. As hormones are free cycling if you are overweight this further compounds the issue and tends toward chaos.

It is very much rooted in psychology, but we are biological, so everything is connected. Your chances of restoring order increase if you initiate positive changes on multiple root causes.

I agree...I have always eaten fast and I think it is because growing up you ate fast so you could have seconds, etc. before the food ran out so I continue this today. Plus eating fast I would typically eat way more than I should because time I start feeling full I have eaten way more than I should have....
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

This is ringing loudly for me... let me mull this over a bit, but I think you might be on to something...

I've struggled to understand this largely because it happens both when I'm feeling a bit down AND when I'm riding a high. Your comment would potentially address both situations - looking for a high and riding an existing high.

I can relate to this too. I was used to overeating when sad or anxious, the first time it happened when I was having a really good day was a very unwelcome surprise. But food is used culturally both for comfort and for celebration so it's not too outlandish an idea.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Could it be perhaps a nutrient deficiency? I noticed on a few occasions that days where I ate low protein, I had that feeling. I had a protein bar and the feeling faded away. Your body/mind may be telling you to eat more to make up for something you are missing. Just a thought.

I don't think so, but I don't really know enough about how the body responds to deficiency, aside from hydration needs.

From my experience, I'd be more inclined to say the opposite - that increased intake of fats/salts/sugars yield increased "cravings" for fats/salts/sugars. But that could totally be correlation and not causation.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The majority of these habits are developed in early childhood, so this feels "normal" later in life. At early adulthood your genetics begin to have greater influence as opposed to environment.

The habits you develop follow a pattern. Hormones also follow this pattern. Any shifts from this pattern end up in temporary chaos while your body attempts to restore order. As hormones are free cycling if you are overweight this further compounds the issue and tends toward chaos.

It is very much rooted in psychology, but we are biological, so everything is connected. Your chances of restoring order increase if you initiate positive changes on multiple root causes.

I don't disagree. I was hoping that this thread might give me some insight on what angles from which ot attack the problems.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    For me I'm hoping that if I stay mindful of my eating and telling myself to not eat until I'm stuffed that eventually it will become my new habit. For now it's a conscious behavior that I have to be really aware of. I think maybe it's a combination of natural instinct (since "in the wild" a lot of animals will do the same thing, stuff themselves because they don't know when their next meal will be... my dog does this) and learned habits from childhood (being told to clean your plate, etc.) for me I didn't have my mom telling me to clean my plate so I can't blame it on my parents. lol.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    Could it be perhaps a nutrient deficiency? I noticed on a few occasions that days where I ate low protein, I had that feeling. I had a protein bar and the feeling faded away. Your body/mind may be telling you to eat more to make up for something you are missing. Just a thought.

I don't think so, but I don't really know enough about how the body responds to deficiency, aside from hydration needs.

From my experience, I'd be more inclined to say the opposite - that increased intake of fats/salts/sugars yield increased "cravings" for fats/salts/sugars. But that could totally be correlation and not causation.

That I could see. I know there have been studies done of the effects of sugar on the brain. I recall hearing at one point that the brain responds somewhat similar to sugar as it does to cocaine and that a study with rats showed they actually preferred sugar over cocaine. However, such comparisons have been considered controversial.

Is that because people don't like the idea of comparing food/sugar addiction to drug addiction? Or is there more to the controversy than that? If you remember... not terribly important to me.
  • p21usa
    p21usa Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    elelja945 wrote: »
    I think it may be a way to both mentally and physically feel numb or escape. When I eat to uncomfortable fullness, everything stops. My brain is on cruise control. I am eating but have gone way past tasting the food. Brain numb. Next my body is so full I can not comfortably move. Body immobile. There are no past regrets, no future consequences, and presently I am incapacitated.

Yes, I believe this is right on target. When you are PHYSICALLY uncomfortable, it takes away from the MENTAL/EMOTIONAL pain. The brain cannot process both at the same time. It gives your brain a respite from your emotional issues. I have read that, for many, getting a tattoo is a similar mechanism. The temporary physical pain temporarily minimizes the emotional pain.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    Maybe you are eating hyperpalatable foods?

They literally figured out that really sweet foods will taste too sweet after a few bites, and really salty items taste too salty after a short while.

So they found a point where the fat, salt and sugar ratio was just so that you keep eating them past your satiation point (think potato chips and cookies), what food scientists call the "bliss point." That's why you have sugar and salt in things you wouldn't think would be needed in either (salt in candy, sugar in tomato sauce).

If you notice you only gorge on certain TYPES of foods, that might be the issue.

Yes, that's definitely a factor, but there is more too it than that as some of the foods I eat I don't especially want - I want the feeling of being full rather than the enjoyment of eating said food.

So a common scenario would be something like this -
    1. I'm going to have something to eat, something "on plan" based on my calorie/macro/exercise needs for the day.
    2. That was good, I'm glad I had that. But if that was good, 97 more would probably be uh-maze-ing. Oh, I only have 1 more? OK, I'll eat that 1 more, plus whatever else I can get my hands on quickly.

It almost becomes a race to consume as much as I can in as short a period of time as possible.

Is this happening post exercise? Right before bed?
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with the "Reaction to Deprivation" concept and I will use myself to explain why I think that:

I, too, struggle with eating to the point of being uncomfortable. I think the reason why I do it is because during the work week, I eat very "strict" (you can look at my food diary to see what I'm talking about). I build up enough of a deficit to where, on weekends, I eat pretty much what I want but knowing that on Monday, I have to go back to eating "strict." I believe this (for me) is what's causing me to overeat because I know that my time to eat what I want is limited. So as you mentioned, it becomes a race to consume as much as I can in as short a period of time as possible.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    Maybe you are eating hyperpalatable foods?

They literally figured out that really sweet foods will taste too sweet after a few bites, and really salty items taste too salty after a short while.

So they found a point where the fat, salt and sugar ratio was just so that you keep eating them past your satiation point (think potato chips and cookies), what food scientists call the "bliss point." That's why you have sugar and salt in things you wouldn't think would be needed in either (salt in candy, sugar in tomato sauce).

If you notice you only gorge on certain TYPES of foods, that might be the issue.

Yes, that's definitely a factor, but there is more too it than that as some of the foods I eat I don't especially want - I want the feeling of being full rather than the enjoyment of eating said food.

So a common scenario would be something like this -
    1. I'm going to have something to eat, something "on plan" based on my calorie/macro/exercise needs for the day.
    2. That was good, I'm glad I had that. But if that was good, 97 more would probably be uh-maze-ing. Oh, I only have 1 more? OK, I'll eat that 1 more, plus whatever else I can get my hands on quickly.

It almost becomes a race to consume as much as I can in as short a period of time as possible.

Is this happening post exercise? Right before bed?

It varies. Sometimes post-exercise, sometimes as soon as I get home from work (this is largely environmental/habitual), sometimes first thing in the morning.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Eating prompts the brain to release "feel good" hormones. The brain can't tell if you're eating or having sex. they both touch our deepest pleasure senses. The more dopamine (et al) you release the more you want. This is why I ate emotionally for decades. Trying to fill the void.