The psychology of needing to eat until stuffed - a discussion

Options

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Maybe you are eating hyperpalatable foods?

They literally figured out that really sweet foods will taste too sweet after a few bites, and really salty items taste too salty after a short while.

So they found a point where the fat, salt and sugar ratio was just so that you keep eating them past your satiation point (think potato chips and cookies), what food scientists call the "bliss point." That's why you have sugar and salt in things you wouldn't think would be needed in either (salt in candy, sugar in tomato sauce).

If you notice you only gorge on certain TYPES of foods, that might be the issue.

For me, an example is potatoes. I can eat one baked potato and not want any more. I don't need to use portion control on baked potatoes. But I've had to intentionally portion control chips and fries, until I naturally eat less of these than before.

Worse is if I homecook scallopped potatoes (no cream, just thin sliced stewed potatoes and seasonings), it's like a bottomless appetite for it. I can go three potatoes and still want more. My scallopped potatoes recipe has a bliss point that allows me to eat far larger quanties than I would otherwise. Portion control doesn't "work." I just end up eating as much as is available.

Best wishes on figuring out the source of your eating past fullness and overcoming it!

Is that from "Salt, Sugar, Fat"? Fascinating book!

When I eat 400-500 calories of chicken, broccoli, and potato, or Thai Beef salad, I am full, but not overstuffed, and have no urge to eat more.

When I have hyper-palatable foods like pizza, I want to eat and eat and eat. It's a real challenge to not. Having a large salad with pizza helps.
    I'm using the term hyper-palatable foods less and less, but I do have the idea in the back of my head that food should taste good, but not too good - it helps. I have found that I need to work for my food, I want to be hungry enough to bother with preparation and chewing. My appetite is actually a good guide - I know that when I'm ready for just about any food, I'm hungry, whereas not really in mood for anything but candy or chips, but strongly so, I'm not hungry, I just want "something"; and as I am well nourished and warm and safe, figuring out what that "something" is, is hard. Most days I eat normal, ordinary foods for most or all meals. I deliberately reserve treat foods for special occasions, which doesn't have to be more special than "Saturday" - finding the balance here is so important and quite difficult; when I grew up, treats were "bad", according to my mother, who never said so explicitly, but implied that treats would ruin my health, and absolute abstaining was commendable.

That's really interesting... not something I hear much on these boards. But then again, maybe it just gets drowned out by the usual chanting.
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have struggle with overeating to the point that I can't move. It doesn't happen often because for most of my life I've been "dieting". My diets have always consisted of low fat, until recently. I've been doing KETO for almost three weeks and I gotta tell you it's a big difference on how satisfy I feel. Half way through my meals I feel I'm satisfy, not full but I don't feel like i need to keep eating either. I always wonder if maybe I don't have a "i feel satisfy" hormone, because no matter how much I ate I always had that want to keep eating. I'm not saying go and do KETO, it is very strict but it has been working for me. But maybe increasing healthy fats might help overeating.
  • Thebajan
    Thebajan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I find that I am less tempted to overeat when I am cutting back on calories than when I am in maintenance or over, thats when I am more likely to eat just for comfort, or to stop emotions and feelings of anxiety or stress.

Thanks for sharing this... it hit home to me and is a point to make note of.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Maybe you are eating hyperpalatable foods?

They literally figured out that really sweet foods will taste too sweet after a few bites, and really salty items taste too salty after a short while.

So they found a point where the fat, salt and sugar ratio was just so that you keep eating them past your satiation point (think potato chips and cookies), what food scientists call the "bliss point." That's why you have sugar and salt in things you wouldn't think would be needed in either (salt in candy, sugar in tomato sauce).

If you notice you only gorge on certain TYPES of foods, that might be the issue.

For me, an example is potatoes. I can eat one baked potato and not want any more. I don't need to use portion control on baked potatoes. But I've had to intentionally portion control chips and fries, until I naturally eat less of these than before.

Worse is if I homecook scallopped potatoes (no cream, just thin sliced stewed potatoes and seasonings), it's like a bottomless appetite for it. I can go three potatoes and still want more. My scallopped potatoes recipe has a bliss point that allows me to eat far larger quanties than I would otherwise. Portion control doesn't "work." I just end up eating as much as is available.

Best wishes on figuring out the source of your eating past fullness and overcoming it!

Is that from "Salt, Sugar, Fat"? Fascinating book!

When I eat 400-500 calories of chicken, broccoli, and potato, or Thai Beef salad, I am full, but not overstuffed, and have no urge to eat more.

When I have hyper-palatable foods like pizza, I want to eat and eat and eat. It's a real challenge to not. Having a large salad with pizza helps.
    I'm using the term hyper-palatable foods less and less, but I do have the idea in the back of my head that food should taste good, but not too good - it helps. I have found that I need to work for my food, I want to be hungry enough to bother with preparation and chewing. My appetite is actually a good guide - I know that when I'm ready for just about any food, I'm hungry, whereas not really in mood for anything but candy or chips, but strongly so, I'm not hungry, I just want "something"; and as I am well nourished and warm and safe, figuring out what that "something" is, is hard. Most days I eat normal, ordinary foods for most or all meals. I deliberately reserve treat foods for special occasions, which doesn't have to be more special than "Saturday" - finding the balance here is so important and quite difficult; when I grew up, treats were "bad", according to my mother, who never said so explicitly, but implied that treats would ruin my health, and absolute abstaining was commendable.

ITA. I think this is the toughest thing we try to explain to newbies, and sometimes the real message gets lost in the hyperbole. It's not about cutting out all of the yummy foods, viewing them as the enemy. It's not about being able to eat nothing but twinkies if you hit your calories. It's about finding the balance. And the balance is hard to find when you are surrounded by food you don't NEED, but certainly want, and you're not weak for wanting them. And part of the balance is accepting that some days you will overeat. You just have to keep those to a minimum and limit your exposure to situations where it's likely. Perhaps for some, the balance is too painful to find, but IMHO muddling through to find it is really important, and probably a lifelong effort.

I do tend to eat the same things for meals with slight variations day to day and week to week. Less decisions - less temptations. My treat foods are foods I can't wait to eat, but through repetition I have gotten used to eating a reasonable portion, at a scheduled time. Then the occasional holiday, restaurant meal, hormonal splurge on a pint of ice cream is less dangerous. I still go off the rails on occasion, because I'm human and that's real life, but it helps. I think scheduled treats and indulgences generally make me feel more comfortable and secure, subconsciously.

Interestingly, I'm way more likely to stuff myself with "comfort foods" than I am treat foods. My mom's pasta and sausages, a roasted chicken, the saltines and butter I used to eat when I was sick as a child.

I think looking at it analytically like in this thread is super important - the more emotion you can take out of the equation, the better, though that is sometimes easier said than done! Taking the time to figure out the reasons we seem compelled to do things that ultimately aren't good for us and really understanding them. As another poster said - we're not nuts! This is like evolutionary growing pains. Hopefully we come out the other side with a different relationship with food more attuned to the swing from scarcity to abundance.

Thank you for posting this... there is some very valuable/important context and nuance here that I don't see spelled out very often.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    kds10 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The majority of these habits are developed in early childhood, so this feels "normal" later in life. At early adulthood your genetics begin to have greater influence as opposed to environment.

The habits you develop follow a pattern. Hormones also follow this pattern. Any shifts from this pattern end up in temporary chaos while your body attempts to restore order. As hormones are free cycling if you are overweight this further compounds the issue and tends toward chaos.

It is very much rooted in psychology, but we are biological, so everything is connected. Your chances of restoring order increase if you initiate positive changes on multiple root causes.

I agree...I have always eaten fast and I think it is because growing up you ate fast so you could have seconds, etc. before the food ran out so I continue this today. Plus eating fast I would typically eat way more than I should because time I start feeling full I have eaten way more than I should have....

Yep. Here too. I am a card-carrying member of the clean your plate club. I ate quickly as a kid in order to get second before the food was all gone. For as long as I can remember, I could always eat. It takes a lot of food to feel really, really full. I love feeling full, even to this day. Every now and again I will eat to fullness (sometimes it's uncomfortable). It's rare, but it happens and I definitely like the feel-good-feels that happens because of it.

Of all the things my weight loss has taught me, it's to get used to feeling hungry most of the time, because that's simply the reality for me.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Bad thing about OA is that it's about abstinence, food lists, "never", etc. I see a lot of value in the 12 Steps in general; they are a good common-sense way to live life but the never part and the food abstinence for life is just not a great strategy IMO. I'm not giving up sugary treats, flour, etc. Not happening. I tried the abstinence from added sugars thing and it's not a sustainable way for me to live. Plus it seems like people just live on dates, figs and dried fruits instead, which isn't really a solution. It's still sugar. OA has a whole list of abstinence foods. It works for some people, but it's not a one-size-fits-all solution.

Sorry, I know better than to take this down the "sugar" trail. It is page five though. I guess it's inevitable.

Sorry as well, but OA isn't about food lists, its about taking the 12 steps of recovery.

• kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options

[/quote] Yep. Here too. I am a card-carrying member of the clean your plate club. I ate quickly as a kid in order to get second before the food was all gone. For as long as I can remember, I could always eat. It takes a lot of food to feel really, really full. I love feeling full, even to this day. Every now and again I will eat to fullness (sometimes it's uncomfortable). It's rare, but it happens and I definitely like the feel-good-feels that happens because of it.

Of all the things my weight loss has taught me, it's to get used to feeling hungry most of the time, because that's simply the reality for me. [/quote]

What is hard when you tell yourself to stop eating and still feel like you can eat way more...that is hard to get used to. But I figure I am a work in progress and IF has taught me some semblance of control, I am not 100% perfect but way better than pre IF. I also have learned that being hungry is okay, I will not die from starvation.

• Running_and_Coffee
    Options
    The discomfort I have over the feeling of a bloated stomach (and I mean emotional discomfort) usually wins out against the comfort of fullness. I wonder if I have a problem on the other end of the spectrum...I hate that day-after-Thanksgiving morning when you wake up and your stomach is sticking out like you've already eaten for the day. Not sure if this is "good"--because I don't overeat--or "bad"--because maybe it's just as disordered but for the reverse reasons.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    kds10 wrote: »
    What is hard when you tell yourself to stop eating and still feel like you can eat way more...that is hard to get used to. But I figure I am a work in progress and IF has taught me some semblance of control, I am not 100% perfect but way better than pre IF. I also have learned that being hungry is okay, I will not die from starvation.

I tried IF, but I wake up too hungry and my attempts at keeping the hunger at bay just gives me headaches and a caffeine/coffee tummy. Hubby will eat a small-ish breakfast (250 calories) and then he can go all the way to dinner without eating anything. Nope. Not me. Too hangry.

I still clean my plate and meal plan, so that I get to eat all of whatever it is I've planned for the day. I have to eat ALL the food. Knowing that about myself made the process so much easier.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Bad thing about OA is that it's about abstinence, food lists, "never", etc. I see a lot of value in the 12 Steps in general; they are a good common-sense way to live life but the never part and the food abstinence for life is just not a great strategy IMO. I'm not giving up sugary treats, flour, etc. Not happening. I tried the abstinence from added sugars thing and it's not a sustainable way for me to live. Plus it seems like people just live on dates, figs and dried fruits instead, which isn't really a solution. It's still sugar. OA has a whole list of abstinence foods. It works for some people, but it's not a one-size-fits-all solution.

Sorry, I know better than to take this down the "sugar" trail. It is page five though. I guess it's inevitable.

Sorry as well, but OA isn't about food lists, its about taking the 12 steps of recovery.

"A Plan of Eating
    A Plan of Eating is a tool to help the OA member maintain abstinence.

RelapsePrevention_Tools_Plan_Women

“As a tool, a plan of eating helps us abstain from compulsive eating, guides us in our dietary decisions, and defines what, when, how, where and why we eat.There are no specific requirements for a plan of eating; OA does not endorse or recommend any specific plan of eating, nor does it exclude the personal use of one. (See the pamphlets Dignity of Choice and A Plan of Eating for more information.) For specific dietary or nutritional guidance, OA suggests consulting a qualified health care professional, such as a physician or dietitian. Each of us develops a personal plan of eating based on an honest appraisal of his or her past experience. Many of us find it essential to take guidance from our sponsors to develop a plan of eating that reflects an honest desire to achieve and maintain abstinence."

https://oa.org/members/relapse-prevention/tools-of-recovery/a-plan-of-eating/

So...where was I wrong in my post? I'm willing to learn, but there is an element of restriction/abstinence and this is directly from the OA site...
    As a tool, a plan of eating helps us abstain from compulsive eating, guides us in our dietary decisions, and defines what, when, how, where and why we eat.