WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2018

Replies

• curlycyn
    curlycyn Posts: 1 Member
    Yes! a much needed reminder and one I intend following. Thank you!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    <3<3<3Phoenix <3<3<3<3 What a smile!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Marcelyn, I have been thinking of you often the last few weeks and wondering where you were. I'm so glad you are ok now. As busy as you are with the grands you'll have those extra pounds off quickly. Congratulations on the new grandbabt. <3

Janetr OKC
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member
    Didn’t realize I was that far behind! I never left but just kinda slipped!

Allie, you do what’s right for you. No guilt on your part.

Laters Ladies!

RV Rita
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Karen in VA, Phoenix is a doll baby. You have to smile when you see his smile. <3

Janetr OKC
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Okie I was wondering- have you upgraded Your Apple Watch OS two version five? Because I did and my watch is now crediting me with a lot more exercise and activity minutes. This dismays me because I know it is incorrect and it was closer to correct before. Even in the Apple Watch 4 0S it’s estimates were too high. So I wondered if you experienced I change with an upgrade to fWatchOS 5 like I did?

ElizabethGA OMG Pippin is breaking my heart!! I wish I could come be his babysitter!! Just wanted to say, like you, I started to get some extreme wrist pain due to my strength training (when I increased dumbbells from 12 to
    15 pounds). A Pilates instructor watched me do my workout and just about screamed at me to stop. It seems I was curling my wrist (“you need to keep your wrist neutral”) inward while doing some of the exercises. She sent me back to 8 pounds (actually to 6 pounds, but that didn’t feel like a workout and I couldn’t stay that low) and we increased my reps with my focus being on wrist placement. Some wrist wraps helped here, but she warned me NOT to learn to rely on them or I’d never develop the necessary wrist strength. Also grippers - I squeeze some plastic rubber donut things (they look like dog toys, to be honest). I’m slowly building back up to a heavier weight.

Similarly Lanette like you described my back began to ache with the leg weights over 10 pounds. The coworker (fitness and rehab professionals) recommendation was to back down the weight (they suggested 4 pounds, I compromised on 8 twice a week and 6 once a week) and greatly increased reps. The back pain eased and my progress in muscles seemed to continue so I’m pleased. I’m occasionally up to 11 pounds on the leg weights today, but I mix it up- heavier weights means less reps, lighter weights more, sometimes MANY more reps.

LOST the rest of my post! Admired Snowy, did some pirate talking, talked to Michelle about deep water aerobics, noted how similar my everyday lunch is to Machka (eerily similar, no rice but a gravy or sauce and they are practically the same) sigh. My fault- I clicked done, not post reply.

Sighs

Rye
  • Catelynn324
    Catelynn324 Posts: 1 Member
    In answer to the original post by Barbie, thanks for the inspiration, I thought this morning how I always say I want to be better and make better choices and then don't, I am tired of listening to my own whining lol. I am going to be who I want to be and not keep wishing I was the person that makes better choices. My bad choices are mostly diet because I usually do at least 30 minutes of exercise on weekdays ( I get lazy with my routine and don't push myself), but fall short on the weekends, that needs to change too LOL. I have read posts in here before that inspired me to make small changes but haven't ever posted before.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    Rye - I was hoping you'd post about your workout! Thank you - you are my workout twin, lol. I've decided to reread the "Strong Women Stay Young" book today and take a peek at the website to see if they have any more advice, but lightening weight and more reps seems to be the key.

Just a bit disheartening for me to have to reduce the weight a little, but I knew I'd reach a point where I'd be maxed out.

How do you gauge how heavy of weights you can manage - you mention going up to 11 lbs some days. Are you just energetic so you get into the heavier weights?

And I'm also looking for a book or website which deals with "senior" health - like the info I read the other day in the AARP magazine about increasing protein after age 70. I happened onto an article (Dr. Mercola) this morning that said intermittent fasting isn't for someone over 70 unless they are very healthy. What? I'm a few years from there but I want to know why. And the same article said seniors shouldn't go over 13 hours between meals. Again, why?

Maybe I need to email the doc, lol.

Marcelyn - I have been thinking about you, glad you are back and hope you are on the mend!

Karen in VA
    - Loving this round of baby pix. Phoenix is surely a doll. How does his sis like having a sibling?

Elizabeth
    - Pippin is such a sweet pupster. One of my favorite dogs, that's for sure. Nothing like a photo of a sleeping puppy to reduce stress.

I can't remember the last time we had guests in the house other than the housecleaner. I normally stop everyone at the door anyhow because of the dog ruckus, lol. Now that we have 2 they go crazy and really vie for attention. Well, it's their house and they allow DH and me to live here as their servants. B):p

Still waiting to hear from Wendy in NZ.

Better close for now.

Lanette
    Chilly and foggy SW WA State

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Love the photos of the two pups and Phoenix. :):)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,507 Member
    Yyyyy
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Rye - I’m still on version 4 (I think). I do think my incidental movement gets way too many calories, but I don’t eat back those calories, so I don’t worry about it. For my planned exercise, I seem to be getting the same calorie burn.

Okie
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    Kelly - Isn't it crazy to think that a sandwich is that many more calories than a Whopper. Joaquin is a doll! Love his hair.

Meg - Condolences to you and your husband.

Allie - I have read all of the comments given to you about Tom. I seem to be more like you, I would have to forgive for my own peace and sanity too. You have to do what is best for you and if that is remaining friends with Tom I think that is great for you. As for feeding your FIL, I would do it too, I call my in-laws Mom and Dad. I have often said to everyone in my family if anything happened to my husband and I, I am keeping his parents. My husband will tell everyone they will keep me over him too. I don't believe that people cheat for just one reason, they are usually looking for something, either in themselves or in their partner, they are not getting and are trying desperately to find it.

I hate what dementia and Alzheimer's does to a person. I have witnessed it first hand too many times, my Mother is my latest.

Sue - There was a case here in Canada recently where a child was left in a car seat all day and passed away. Turns out the "caregiver" (I don't believe that is the right word for her) would leave children in the car seat in the closet and then go run errands.

NYKaren - My daughter has been keeping a bullet journal since the first of the year. She tracks weight, money, exercise and several other things on it. She really loves it.

Penny - I was saying to my husband last night I have to figure out how to keep up with my exercise with Winter coming. I hate the cold so need to come up with a plan. Maybe I'll use that gym membership that I pay for each month.

Machka - My husband and I wouldn't have a network of friends to come help either. He hasn't made many friends and my friends all work for a living. Even our daughters and spouses have jobs and commitments. I think it's unreasonable that they would expect that.

Lanette - I went to my doctor in August and when I told her I was doing a loose form of IF she told me to stop it. It was because I am predisposed to diabetes as my Mother has it and I have been pre-diabetic before. She said it was hard on my liver as it had to work harder without food. I don't remember exactly but it was to do with glucose and insulin. I just turned 50 so I'm not a senior yet, so that may not be what you are referring to at all.

Social - I am a very social creature, I crave people and don't like being alone at all. I do quite well with just my husband and I 90% of the time, but the other 10 I am out doing with friends or family. He is quite content to be at home and rarely leaves the house other than to go to work. My daughters are at both end of the spectrum, one is on the go all the time and is hard to nail down a free time, the other has one or two friends that she enjoys doing things with but suffers terribly having to do anything social otherwise, including making a phone call.

Tracey, enjoying a second day of sun calling for rain and snow the next three days, in Edmonton
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    M in OZ your seasons sound like our seasons in Minnesota. We had a blizzard in mid April this year. We did go on to having one our warmest summers.

:heart: Margaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited September 2018
    My first husband and I split up amicably and I retained a great affection for his parents. I went to see them by train regularly and continued to do so even when she went into a nursing home. It was a long and expensive journey, but she was always delighted to see me. She left me some money in her will. They were my children's beloved grandparents and my mother was useless.
    I think they were fond of me. I think I loved them. I knew them for forty five years. Since I was 18.
    It's great to have bonds of affection. Good for you Allie. <3
    We are all flawed creatures. Some more than others. As long as you don't let yourself be taken advantage of ever again, forgiveness just acknowledges our flawed humanity. It's also good for our own 'souls'.
    But we also have to forgive and appreciate ourselves. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Machka - Your weather reminds me of what the inhabitants were saying about St Petersburg weather when we got there on our cruise. "50 weeks of expectation and 2 weeks of disappointment. "
    We actually had two days of HOT sunshine. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    <3<3<3Phoenix <3<3<3Karen VA he is ADORABLE! How can you resist?!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,781 Member
    Welcome to all the new ladies. Keep coming back.

Rye--I am feeling really moody lately also. I joined a 7 week ladies Bible study at church. The name is the 7 longings of the Human Heart. I am hoping to fill some of the holes I try and fill with food. I keep telling myself One day at a time. But having problems kicking myself in gear to get anything done.

Meg--Sorry to hear of your father in law's passing. Hope Leonard can attend the service.

Heather--Looks like a good story on DDIL. Hope you are able to get copies of the story.

Tracey--I understand how excited you are about having a washer and dryer. Hope they are working well for a long time.

16 days and no soda pop and I really haven"t wanted one. But it helps to realize everytime I get in the car to go anywhere, even around town I think I need to take something to drink.

I have an interview this afternoon for my open job. It has only taken almost 3 months for it to get posted. So hard since nothing is local anymore.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Marcelynh ~ I remember you and how you have all your family over after church every Sunday. Also, all the wonderful pottery you produce. :)