do i go vegan?

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Gawd, and it's only Monday.

There must be some new woo "study" making the rounds - I've seen this "cheese = opioids" in a couple of places recently. Next thing you know, we'll all find out bananas have an effect like heroin on the human brain!!!

Aw, nobody better be swatting at bananas with the woo stick. I love to nibble on mine between sets. I usually have a couple a day.
    :)

If I were you I'd lay off them a few days and see if you get withdrawals. You never know...
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member

There must be some new woo "study" making the rounds - I've seen this "cheese = opioids" in a couple of places recently. Next thing you know, we'll all find out bananas have an effect like heroin on the human brain!!!

Aw, nobody better be swatting at bananas with the woo stick. I love to nibble on mine between sets. I usually have a couple a day.
    :)

If I were you I'd lay off them a few days and see if you get withdrawals. You never know...

Can't...guess I'm already addicted.

I'm doomed!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

If you love bananas like you love petting puppies, then yes.

I love bananas and I work with a lot of puppies.

I'm skeered :p
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

If you love bananas like you love petting puppies, then yes.

I love bananas and I work with a lot of puppies.

I'm skeered :p

You might need to join Donkey Kong:
    P6TqTqCZD6-10.png
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    An aside, addressed to newer vegetarians: If the idea that cheese uses animal rennet is new and distressing to you, be aware that vegetable rennet is a thing. Sometimes labels even designate. :drinker:

We're actually to the point in NZ now that most cheese is made with non-animal rennet. It's awesome!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    An aside, addressed to newer vegetarians: If the idea that cheese uses animal rennet is new and distressing to you, be aware that vegetable rennet is a thing. Sometimes labels even designate. :drinker:

We're actually to the point in NZ now that most cheese is made with non-animal rennet. It's awesome!

The thrill is gone.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Bananas contain serotonin. That's why they affect your brain like heroin. That's a fact, so you're not too far off.

P.S: it's actually true as a factoid, but the myths around it aren't. That serotonin does not cross into the brain.
  • YourJuneInJan
    YourJuneInJan Posts: 61 Member
    edited October 2018
    hnic76 wrote: »
    right now i’m already “vegetarian” (i wouldn’t say i’m full vegetarian bc maybe once a month i’ll have maybe a hamburger or chicken, but i eat completely vegetarian about 98% of the time) , last week i tested out a week going vegan and i was 50/50 - i liked that i had a little bit more restrictions and i managed to go a week without binging which is huge for me bc i’m i am a BIG binge eater, bc all the snacks i would binge on aren’t vegan, i felt better and i liked overall the idea of being vegan- there were a few cons i found- i was a bit more hungry and didn’t have as many options bc i couldn’t find any vegan meals i enjoyed bc i’m very picky so i ate a lot of the same stuff like vegan chicken nuggets and smoothies and the “diet” / “lifestyle” became a bit boring, i also really missed my cheese lol .. i just have seen a lot of different opinions on being vegan vs vegetarian- i’m just super torn and i just need some advice, i know in the end it is all up to me and how i feel but i would love to hear some opinions, do i go full vegan? and would going vegan truly improve my health as much as i hear people talk about it doing or is it just about the same as being vegetarian.. thanks in advance *edit: by benefits i’ve just heard a lot of people talk ab how being vegan improved their overall health and then there’s things like lower risk of heart disease and stuff like that*

I do what I want. Was vegan for 6+ years. Now I eat fish, eggs, cottage cheese. Veganism opened me up to alternatives-- any meal you can substitute. Welcomed more fruits and veggies in my life.I found cool foods (dragonfruit, jackfruit, lychee, chia seeds, veganaise, tofu, fieldroast, nutritional yeast, spaghetti squash, zoodles, sesame oil, sunbutter).

It is important to eat what makes you feel good. Ultimately depends on your reason. You can always test it by eating less dairy/byproducts and expanding your vegan options. Since you are already vegetarian, you can adapt into it quickly.

Ethics, exposure to documentaries and literature, ayurveda, yoga meditation, dairy allergy, and disgusted by animal body parts in my food drove me to veganism. I still shop in ethnic aisles, but opened my diet again. Initial vegan weeks were so light, but I got tired of feeling like I was restricting myself about where/what to eat, paying $15 for a salad without protein, B12 deficiency risk, protein and carb intake, long cooking time. Who knows if I will ever go back to carnivoring or veganism? :smile:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Here in Wisconsin the majority use traditional rennet but there are enough dairies that use vegetable rennet and enough stores that import from other states and countries that people who are looking for it can find it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    What is it that you like about cheese? Flavor, texture, other foods it pairs with

I like the versatility, wide variety of flavors and textures, nutrition, and the fact that I am supporting local farmers and cheesemakers.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Icrizz wrote: »
    You miss cheese because they line it with a chemical that's addicting. You won't miss it after awhile. Trust me.

It can seem like a vegan lifestyle is really restricting at first, but it's really not. It's new. It's drastically different. It can take awhile of experimenting before you find foods that you like. I'm always pro vegan. There isn't a need for us to eat meat or animal products. Especially dairy. There isn't anything healthy about putting another mammals hormones into your body that was made for baby calves. That's why some people see an improvement in their acne when they stop eating dairy - it's their hormones balancing out.
    It's really easy to harm yourself with veganism if you don't know what you're doing. It's important for the diet to be varied. I would encourage you to experiment with the foods that you don't like and to see if there's a way to make them more appealing.

I don't want to make this comment too long. If you have any questions then feel free to ask me

I know how you line a skirt or a dress, but how do you line cheese?!

Yes, there are more vegan options everyday. Good points. According to my dermatologist, skim milk is related to hormonal acne (which I am currently treating). However, I did not eat dairy when I started getting acne 2 years ago so cannot say it is a for sure thing. I think skin clears up with more fruits, veggies, and water, so that could be another reason people experience better skin. Remember that there is pus in milk --eww! Dairy cravings do go away, much like sugar. Try Go VEGAN cheese (read carefully Go VEGGIE is not vegan), hummus, nutritional yeast (makes great alfredo sauce). What is it that you like about cheese? Flavor, texture, other foods it pairs with

i don't think you meant to quote me? :huh: