October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

As a side note, do all runners in the US call leggings tights, or is it mainly male runners who don’t want to call them leggings? And is “tights” really better than “leggings”? Tight running pants are totally leggings, come on! It’s not like it wasn’t confusing enough keeping tights, nylons, and leggings straight, and I’m not even going to touch the international differences.

Every male runner I know calls what we wear in cold weather "tights." So do most of the female runners, except they also have "capris" and various other things with specialty names that connote distinctions of which I remain blissfully unaware.

FWIW, every female runner I know uses the term "tights" for the same garment I do, and every running store I've visited also uses this term. Of course, I'm quite parochial; I live in the US, have never visited a running store catering to a culture that doesn't look like mine, and know mostly US runners in real life.

I had always thought "leggings" was a term for some female garment that I didn't need to know about. Your post leads me to believe it might be a British/Canadian/other non-US English term for what I know as "tights." Kind of like the distinction between "sweater" and "jumper," which I know only because of discussion on the translation of J K Rowling's writing for American audiences.

Capri is a length, just in case your calves get warm but you want to cover your knees. :) Leggings is definitely a US term for a type of fabric pant basically indistinguishable from running tights. Often they're made of cotton but even the tech fabric ones are called leggings in plenty of places outside of running stores. What I always thought of as tights until I started running are mostly-opaque, usually have built-in feet, slightly thicker than nylons (but thinner than leggings) such as ballet dancers might wear. Popular under dresses for small girls.
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    As a side note, do all runners in the US call leggings tights, or is it mainly male runners who don’t want to call them leggings? And is “tights” really better than “leggings”? Tight running pants are totally leggings, come on! It’s not like it wasn’t confusing enough keeping tights, nylons, and leggings straight, and I’m not even going to touch the international differences.

looz4cf5azdz.gif
    had to!!! Long live Mel Brooks

TIGHTS! Love that movie.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Monthly question.

1) With holiday's coming up and the return of cooler or warmer weather. What's your stragedy mitigating the particular challenges you face these last few months of the year?

Okay, a more serious answer to this...

Temps in the 50's F and up:
    • I do fine. T-shirt, shorts and normal socks

Temps in below 50's F depend highly on wind, moisture and etc.
    • I will need handwamers for sure. Fingers and toes are always an issue for me long before any other body part
    • Same for toe warmers
    • Probably wearing my Darn Tough wool socks
    • Depending on how low I switch form tshirt to UA Cold Gear compression mock turtle top
    • Same with the bottoms, I swap to UA Cold Gear fitted Storm pants
    • If wind is an issue, my North Face Wind Barrier jacket goes on. It was WAY WAY expensive, but it stops the wind dead in its tracks
    • If temps are really cold I add a..whats it called.. the hood that covers your face too. Makes you look like a ninja
    • Wool hat for my ears if it is not cold enough for the hood thingy

If that cannot keep me warm, I just do not run. It will be my fingers and toes that defeat me first. At 40 degrees I already need the warmers. I have run in 0F, but only short runs as my toes get painfully cold.

Weirdly my fingers and toes don't really seem to get cold - the backs of my hands were kind of cold today but my fingers were fine until the very end of the run, at which point my left thumb specifically decided it was cold. I wore the UA socks you recommended a few weeks ago and my feet felt fine.

I did some googling and this looks like a good option for a windbreaker, and less expensive than I'd expected. My Brooks jacket from last year still fits but is too warm for now - I'll give it a go when we're into the thirties. Side note: what does it mean for a jacket to be "media compatible"?

That is less than a third what I paid, so yours is a much better price :) Mine is a "Wind Wall" (had to look up their name, lets no wind through - at all. Have run in storms, can confirm.) and heavier than that one.

Ah, thanks for looking that up. It looks like the Wind Walls are out of stock, but I did at least find a product description for one version and it says that it's fleece (or fleece-lined), which is definitely heavier than I want right now (I already have this, which sounds more along the lines of the Windwall). I suspect you might be more prone to the cold than I am. I've still got a decent layer of padding to lose, in any case.

AH! Finally found it. It is this one:

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-apex-bionic-2-hoodie-nf0a2tbb#hero=0

That plus a long sleeve top is all I have needed even when running down to single digits.

Haha, the hunt is finally over! That does look very similar to the Brooks jacket I already have, which I have definitely worn comfortably down to single digits, but would be too warm for me in weather like today. I was looking for more of a "shell" and after I found that North Face one I linked at REI for 25% off, I am not looking anymore.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Monthly question.

1) With holiday's coming up and the return of cooler or warmer weather. What's your stragedy mitigating the particular challenges you face these last few months of the year?

Okay, a more serious answer to this...

Temps in the 50's F and up:
    • I do fine. T-shirt, shorts and normal socks

Temps in below 50's F depend highly on wind, moisture and etc.
    • I will need handwamers for sure. Fingers and toes are always an issue for me long before any other body part
    • Same for toe warmers
    • Probably wearing my Darn Tough wool socks
    • Depending on how low I switch form tshirt to UA Cold Gear compression mock turtle top
    • Same with the bottoms, I swap to UA Cold Gear fitted Storm pants
    • If wind is an issue, my North Face Wind Barrier jacket goes on. It was WAY WAY expensive, but it stops the wind dead in its tracks
    • If temps are really cold I add a..whats it called.. the hood that covers your face too. Makes you look like a ninja
    • Wool hat for my ears if it is not cold enough for the hood thingy

If that cannot keep me warm, I just do not run. It will be my fingers and toes that defeat me first. At 40 degrees I already need the warmers. I have run in 0F, but only short runs as my toes get painfully cold.

Weirdly my fingers and toes don't really seem to get cold - the backs of my hands were kind of cold today but my fingers were fine until the very end of the run, at which point my left thumb specifically decided it was cold. I wore the UA socks you recommended a few weeks ago and my feet felt fine.

I did some googling and this looks like a good option for a windbreaker, and less expensive than I'd expected. My Brooks jacket from last year still fits but is too warm for now - I'll give it a go when we're into the thirties. Side note: what does it mean for a jacket to be "media compatible"?

That is less than a third what I paid, so yours is a much better price :) Mine is a "Wind Wall" (had to look up their name, lets no wind through - at all. Have run in storms, can confirm.) and heavier than that one.

Ah, thanks for looking that up. It looks like the Wind Walls are out of stock, but I did at least find a product description for one version and it says that it's fleece (or fleece-lined), which is definitely heavier than I want right now (I already have this, which sounds more along the lines of the Windwall). I suspect you might be more prone to the cold than I am. I've still got a decent layer of padding to lose, in any case.

AH! Finally found it. It is this one:

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-apex-bionic-2-hoodie-nf0a2tbb#hero=0

That plus a long sleeve top is all I have needed even when running down to single digits.

Haha, the hunt is finally over! That does look very similar to the Brooks jacket I already have, which I have definitely worn comfortably down to single digits, but would be too warm for me in weather like today. I was looking for more of a "shell" and after I found that North Face one I linked at REI for 25% off, I am not looking anymore.

It has been in the mid/upper 70's here, so definitly too warm for today! :lol:
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I refer to any “pants” that are really tight as leggings. Leggings that look like jeans are jeggings :smile:

I agree with @MegaMooseEsq about tights. Thicker nylons/pantyhose.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,398 Member
    Options
    I always think of leggings as a non activity type of clothing. Tight pants to wear out and about but not to run or workout in. Tights can be what little girls wear with dresses or for adults unisex active wear for running or working out in... although I have never seen a a man wear them to the gym... Clear as mud right?

So just to throw out another gear question I have always wondered about... I had never heard the term singlet until I started running. Is a singlet only for men and the women's version is a tank top or are women's tank tops for running also called singlets?
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Here too leggings are ladies garments & but running or cycling tights is a unisex word
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    So just to throw out another gear question I have always wondered about... I had never heard the term singlet until I started running. Is a singlet only for men and the women's version is a tank top or are women's tank tops for running also called singlets?

I never heard the term singlet till I started running. I learned it is a men's running top with no sleeves. I know the white cotton underwear shaped the same way as a "muscle shirt," but my daughter calls those "wife beaters." (A millennials' term, I think.)

While it would certainly be possible for female runners to wear a singlet, when it's hot enough to go without sleeves most female runners I've seen just wear a sports bra unless they need a team-logo singlet for a team race event. It appears to me that, in addition to needing to be functional for use running/playing soccer/etc., it is a requirement that a sports bra be designed to look like a presentable top to wear in public while being active. But I'm a not very fashion-conscious male, so I could be mistaken.

If I see a garment that looks like singlet, is tailored for women, and does not have a team logo, I expect to hear women call that a "tank top." "Singlet" seems very running-specific for men, and even running team-specific for women.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    singlet is new to me too but i have noticed it is for both men and women. they don't seem to be much different than a sleeveless shirt or tank. it usually is for a team or running group in our area
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq

From last winter :D
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I have never before seen such an in depth discussion about tights. :D

I remember getting into an extended conversation about leggings/tights/nylons on a job hunting website once. I think it's just one of those topics that lots of people have opinions on. The linguistic differences are interesting, at least.
    The language thing is quite funny. @sarahthes said part of her husbands Halloween costume was suspenders, & I thought humm ok whatever ur into. Then some else said they wanted to dress as an accountant with headband & suspenders. I thought hold on something is off here & it clicked with me. On this side of Atlantic we call them them braces & suspenders are most definitely ladies lingerie 🙈😂

Haha, in the US those are called garter belts and yeah, are mostly a fetish thing at this point.

I never heard the term singlet till I started running. I learned it is a men's running top with no sleeves. I know the white cotton underwear shaped the same way as a "muscle shirt," but my daughter calls those "wife beaters." (A millennials' term, I think.)

While it would certainly be possible for female runners to wear a singlet, when it's hot enough to go without sleeves most female runners I've seen just wear a sports bra unless they need a team-logo singlet for a team race event. It appears to me that, in addition to needing to be functional for use running/playing soccer/etc., it is a requirement that a sports bra be designed to look like a presentable top to wear in public while being active. But I'm a not very fashion-conscious male, so I could be mistaken.

If I see a garment that looks like singlet, is tailored for women, and does not have a team logo, I expect to hear women call that a "tank top." "Singlet" seems very running-specific for men, and even running team-specific for women.

Singlet was a new term for me, too. The main google results I got were for the one-piece garment one wears in weight-lifting competitions, but I assumed that wasn't what was meant in the running context. Might be practical, though! The racer-back tank seems to be the female equivalent - I suspect that how common they are depends on how acceptable it is for women to run in just a bra, which seems to vary a lot across the US. It's very common in Minneapolis to see women running in sports bras, but much less common in Sioux Falls or Kansas City. As a chubbier individual who favors high-waisted shorts, I prefer racer-backs. After this morning, however, I think I'll be retiring them until the weather gets back into the 60s.

I'd always associated the "wife beater" slang with the 1950s "Streetcar Named Desire" film, which predates Millennials by a generation or two, although I certainly heard it used commonly when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s. I'd guess it's in less frequent use now for obvious reasons. I'd just call the men's cotton undergarment a tank top or sleeveless tee.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

This is what I always thought of as a singlet:

81F2NVObrgL._SL300_.jpg

BUT I KNOW NOTHING :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I mean, I know I run faster than some of y'all, but 60mph is a bit much!

#grumble

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Hahahahaha :smile:

Well, my plan was that I was going to anyways, and just turn back if the weather actually happened. Its been 2 hours and no weather yet... BUT I still could not get out cause I am waiting on the tree guy that was supposed to be here a long time ago (still waiting). I guess I will just eat this Milkyway Midnight bar and get fat and send my sugars out of control instead.