Diet sodas

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I drink diet pop daily, it crushes my sugar/sweets cravings and allows me to be well within my caloric intake, so I can eat the calories and carbs I'd normally waste on a regular pop.

PS: I've lost about 20+ lbs so I'd like to say it does not hinder weight loss :)

But without diet soda, you might have lost 20.083 + pounds in the same amount of time.....
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I drink it daily.
    Like has been mentioned, it satisfies if I have an urge for something sweet, and it can fill a gap when I really don’t want to use any calories for a snack.

So, yup- a helpful tool in my weight loss toolbox, too!

Oh- and I’ve lost around 60 pounds now, and have had diet soda daily right throughout that journey!
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    While I was losing weight I’d guess I drank an average of 4-6 diet beverages per day. I did that into the first five years I was at goal. I then was overseas for a few weeks where the diet beverages tasted different (bad aspartame, I suspect B) ) and I stopped drinking it. Upon my return, I just never went back to it. I’ll have a diet soda on a rare occasion, but the decision making has nothing whatsoever to do with managing my weight.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about the hydrogen hydroxide in diet sodas. It's a powerful solvent that is used in manufacturing to cut metals, and is found as a component of rocket exhaust. Doesn't sound like something you want to be drinking!

Hmm, I just looked at my Diet Coke and the ingredients are as follows:

INGREDIENTS
    CARBONATED WATER, CARAMEL COLOR, ASPARTAME, PHOSPHORIC ACID, POTASSIUM BENZOATE (TO PROTECT TASTE), NATURAL FLAVORS, CITRIC ACID, CAFFEINE.

No hydrogen hydroxide...

Wouldn't hydrogen hydroxide be 2 hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom? What else do we know that has a chemical composition of H2O?

I googled it as I was going to make a snark about the typo, but yeah it is actually something.

It's water reacting as a base so it might actually be harmful.

http://wiki.c2.com/?HydrogenHydroxide

But I'm an accountant so I may be mis-understanding things.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I find I spend a lot more money with Coke Zero than I ever did on Diet Coke.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I find I spend a lot more money with Coke Zero than I ever did on Diet Coke.

Diet Coke was on sale, 20 cans for $1 more than 12 of Coke Zero so I bought Diet Coke.

I really have trouble telling the difference between the two.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I stay away from anything with aspartame in it. After doing research, I found enough to know that even though it is 0 calories, I wouldn't be putting it into my body. Its a personal choice and I know not everyone agrees, but I stay far away from it.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

That site though. :open_mouth:

I didn't know so much quackery could fit on one page.

"If you see someone with a diet drink, ask if they have had any of the typical aspartame side effects."

:s

I like how the "side effects" are literally everything and anything, way to cover your bases.

You mean like "itching without a rash" AND "hives"?