October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• bubblegum2fitness
    bubblegum2fitness Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You could find a very short strength training program for race season and a more in-depth strength training program for off season. Maybe focus on more injury prevention type exercises. I like to do strength training after my run but before my stretching.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    So there is a big, popular 10k Halloween race coming up. A woman in my neighborhood posted in our group Facebook page that she (her husband and kids) can’t go and can’t transfer the bibs or delay entry. She’s giving away her bibs to anyone who wants them.

From what I’ve heard and read this is a big no no? I’m thinking maybe not since it’s a 10k and not a qualifier race. I wouldn’t say anything because I hate confrontation, but I’m curious. I remember in last months thread someone missing out on a prize because of something similar.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Morning all. Rest day for me. I have my calves a good massage last night, and that really released a lot of the underlying pain I've had since the long run on the weekend. So have just given them both another good rub down. Left calf is getting much better, but righty is still a bit sore. I'll try for a lunchtime walk to stretch out the legs and have another rub down after.

i'm struggling to fit in strength training with my 5 day a week running schedule. how many of you actually do strength training? i'm tempted to just leave it for the next 6 weeks, until after my half. What do you do when "off season" as it were? My next half isn't likely to be until June next year.

I think regular strength training is always worth it, even if it's not a long or heavy workout. I was doing a full-body strength training workout three times a week in early spring, lifting heavy for me. When I started regularly running three days a week in late April I switched to two days heavy lifting/four days running. Around July or August I dialed back again, so now I'm doing about a half hour of moderate lifting twice a week with a twenty minute run afterwards. Six weeks isn't that long and you have to take care of yourself and prioritize your time, but I would definitely look to see if you can cut it down rather than cut it out - it's just such a great thing for health and running and appearance.

zdyb23456 wrote: »
    So there is a big, popular 10k Halloween race coming up. A woman in my neighborhood posted in our group Facebook page that she (her husband and kids) can’t go and can’t transfer the bibs or delay entry. She’s giving away her bibs to anyone who wants them.

From what I’ve heard and read this is a big no no? I’m thinking maybe not since it’s a 10k and not a qualifier race. I wouldn’t say anything because I hate confrontation, but I’m curious. I remember in last months thread someone missing out on a prize because of something similar.

Yeahhhhhhhh I wouldn't say anything (or maybe something privately if I thought she'd take it in the right spirit) but I definitely wouldn't take the bibs either. I'm going to assume she's well intentioned and just wants someone to have a good time since she can't make it, but there are lots of good reasons why races require you to either transfer via their system or not transfer at all - safety, supplies, raising more money for the charity of choice, and accurately awarding age group prices are what come to mind immediately. Maybe this isn't a big deal race, but all of those factors would still apply as much or even more.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

To me it's a big no-no. I would be well pissed off if I missed out on a age-group prize because a 20-something guy was running with a bib which had originally been allocated to a 50-something woman.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    You could find a very short strength training program for race season and a more in-depth strength training program for off season. Maybe focus on more injury prevention type exercises. I like to do strength training after my run but before my stretching.
    I think regular strength training is always worth it, even if it's not a long or heavy workout. I was doing a full-body strength training workout three times a week in early spring, lifting heavy for me. When I started regularly running three days a week in late April I switched to two days heavy lifting/four days running. Around July or August I dialed back again, so now I'm doing about a half hour of moderate lifting twice a week with a twenty minute run afterwards. Six weeks isn't that long and you have to take care of yourself and prioritize your time, but I would definitely look to see if you can cut it down rather than cut it out - it's just such a great thing for health and running and appearance.

Yep so true. Currently I'm struggling to get any in at all. I'm managing once a week lol. I currently run 4 days a week in the morning before getting ready for work so strength after is not possible then, then my long run on Saturday. I'm trying to motivate myself to do it after work. and thats the key word, "motivation" lol. Easy to get up to run. I'm struggling to bother with strength after work. But I agree its necessary, to avoid injury and to keep muscle tone. I think I just need to suck it up. I plan on working out 3 days a week. Lower body Tuesday, upper body Thursday and total body Sundays (long run on saturday).
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Today I got to run 1.94 miles after lifting. It was a good run, but you know that expression about not fighting last years’ war? Well, today I dressed for yesterday’s run. Oops. I wasn’t cold though! My plan was to run fartleks, but the dew point was higher than it’s been in a while (mid-60s) and the humidity was near 100%, so I lol-noped out of that one and just did an out-and-back at the fastest pace I thought I could sustain. Deads kicked my butt a little today after I did a form review and corrected a couple of things, so I was feeling it a bit more than usual. Rest day tomorrow.

My first ever 10K race is this weekend! I’m getting excited, even though I’m not really sure what my strategy is going to be. For the two 5Ks first it was to finish without walking (check!) and then to finish faster than the first one (check!). For the half it was to finish period, ideally around 2:30 (check and check!). I’m not really sure what to shoot for with the 10K, though. I’m confidant I can finish, as I run that distance at least once a week these days. I’m confidant I can’t finish in less than an hour, seeing as my 5K isn’t to 30 yet. I guess we will see?

@Avidkeo: Once a week is better than nothing! I've struggled with timing, too. Mornings are best for me but I really do need a little more in my stomach for lifting and I don't love getting up even earlier to eat and digest. Recently I've started getting up at my usual time, working for a couple of hours over a heavier-than-usual breakfast, and then doing a mid-morning session, which seems to be working. That's one of the perks of working from home and setting my own hours, though. You'll figure something out - just don't give up!

OCTOBER MILES:
    10/1 Mo - rest
    10/2 Tu - 1:11:20 - 6.54 meandering and cold
    10/3 We - 0:20:06 - 1.94 zippy after lifting

October Total: 8.48/85 miles
    Lakes circumnavigated (lifetime): 7

Races!
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K Chip time: 0:32:20
    August 25: Glo Run Night Race 5K Chip time: 0:30:40
    September 8: Helen Gold 10K DNS - trip postponed
    September 9: City of Lakes Half Marathon Net time: 2:28:25
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 10K
    October 21: Mankato Half Marathon
    November 4: Kowalski's Strive 10 Miler
    November 24: Moustache Run 10K or Half (leaning 10K)
    December 8: Reindeer Run 10k or 15k (leaning 15K)
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    Oh @garygse I've seen that torture device used in several different videos. Let us know what you think about it.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Today I got to run 1.94 miles after lifting. It was a good run, but you know that expression about not fighting last years’ war? Well, today I dressed for yesterday’s run. Oops. I wasn’t cold though! My plan was to run fartleks, but the dew point was higher than it’s been in a while (mid-60s) and the humidity was near 100%, so I lol-noped out of that one and just did an out-and-back at the fastest pace I thought I could sustain. Deads kicked my butt a little today after I did a form review and corrected a couple of things, so I was feeling it a bit more than usual. Rest day tomorrow.

My first ever 10K race is this weekend! I’m getting excited, even though I’m not really sure what my strategy is going to be. For the two 5Ks first it was to finish without walking (check!) and then to finish faster than the first one (check!). For the half it was to finish period, ideally around 2:30 (check and check!). I’m not really sure what to shoot for with the 10K, though. I’m confidant I can finish, as I run that distance at least once a week these days. I’m confidant I can’t finish in less than an hour, seeing as my 5K isn’t to 30 yet. I guess we will see?

@Avidkeo: Once a week is better than nothing! I've struggled with timing, too. Mornings are best for me but I really do need a little more in my stomach for lifting and I don't love getting up even earlier to eat and digest. Recently I've started getting up at my usual time, working for a couple of hours over a heavier-than-usual breakfast, and then doing a mid-morning session, which seems to be working. That's one of the perks of working from home and setting my own hours, though. You'll figure something out - just don't give up!

Good luck for the weekend! What I should do is bring my weights to work and do a strength session during my lunch breaks instead of going for walks... but I feel self conscious bringing them to work. And before anyone says gym, I live in a really rural area without a gym.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 The torture device is certainly strong, that's for sure...better, in my opinion, than using a regular roller. It found areas on my legs that needed work that I didn't even know needed work, and it felt so good in that oh-my-god-this-hurts-so-much kind of way.

Downside would obviously be that it's good for legs and little else...wanna work out those knots in your back? You're going to have to use something else.

For the pressure it applies, it does a great number on sore legs, which as a runner makes it a worthwhile tool to have around. Again, just my opinion after using it for one night...I'll give another update after I've used it several more times, but so far I like it.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @garygse Oh, I want one of those or a stick because I hate foam rolling my calves. It's hard and uncomfortable to move myself. Not sure how to explain that LOL
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    @garygse thanks for the review :D
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hey again! Thanks for the recommendations on running in the rain. I do like the rain, I’m just scared of slipping and falling. Did c210k week 10 day 2 today and got in about 4.4 painfully slow miles with a couple of walking breaks because I can’t run up hills. Any recommendations on building up my endurance to be able to run up hills successfully?
    10/1: 4 miles
    10/3: 4.4 miles
    8.4/60 miles completed

I have found that weight lifting has been the greatest help to me in running hills. That and actually practicing running hills! If you're new to lifting, I recommend this thread for a list of beginner programs and helpful feedback. I used to haunt that part of the forums before this thread running took over my life, and found the regular there to be mostly very helpful.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Morning all. Rest day for me. I have my calves a good massage last night, and that really released a lot of the underlying pain I've had since the long run on the weekend. So have just given them both another good rub down. Left calf is getting much better, but righty is still a bit sore. I'll try for a lunchtime walk to stretch out the legs and have another rub down after.

i'm struggling to fit in strength training with my 5 day a week running schedule. how many of you actually do strength training? i'm tempted to just leave it for the next 6 weeks, until after my half. What do you do when "off season" as it were? My next half isn't likely to be until June next year.

Yeahhhhhhhh I wouldn't say anything (or maybe something privately if I thought she'd take it in the right spirit) but I definitely wouldn't take the bibs either. I'm going to assume she's well intentioned and just wants someone to have a good time since she can't make it, but there are lots of good reasons why races require you to either transfer via their system or not transfer at all - safety, supplies, raising more money for the charity of choice, and accurately awarding age group prices are what come to mind immediately. Maybe this isn't a big deal race, but all of those factors would still apply as much or even more.

Also would cause a legal nightmare with insurance and all that since when you buy the bib you agree to certain legal terms (that no one reads).
    To me it's a big no-no. I would be well pissed off if I missed out on a age-group prize because a 20-something guy was running with a bib which had originally been allocated to a 50-something woman.

This too :)

Definitly would not take part in this :)

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    10/01 - 10 miles
    10/02 - 0 miles
    10/03 - 11 miles

Upcoming Races:

Harvest 10 Miler - November 2018

Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

--More as I find them - need to find a nice trail race

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.