Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    {{{{*CUE happy 1950's-1960's happy-go-lucky, snappy and happy (corny?!?) children's music*}}}}}

Okay, BOOM! I asked our children (combo of teens and young adults) if they would kindly contribute to the LET IT GO bag (a big ole extra large leaf black bag) by going in their rooms and declutter their rooms by LETTING GO of everything they have, perhaps maybe love, but haven't used or worn and is just sitting around collecting dust and contributing to mess and ugh/yuck in their rooms and to please get rid of at least somethings--a lot of somethings they really don't need and/or want.

They said (without a tinge of "tude" nor anything other than instant agreement and dare I say ....JOY?!?) They filled up 2 big ole bags of stuff and their rooms look marvelous. I'm so shocked and THRILLED. No fuss, No Muss, NO asking more than once, instant compliance and they all just did it with the BEST attitude ever. The whole gang here is now officially on the LET IT GO AND DON'T LOOK BACK train and it's THRILLING, YA HEAR ME, THRILLLLLLLLLINGGGGGG....boom---Boom---BOOOOOM!

P.S. YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

That's wonderful! Not only for you, but for your kids as this hopefully becomes habit for them! What a great gift to give them!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Didn't really do anything about de-cluttering this weekend except move a couple things from the bench by my door to the car. One step closer to the thrift shop.

I moved my summer clothes to the back of the closet last night while I was putting laundry away. I'm battling with myself whether I should trust that I will continue on my downward trend this winter and these clothes will be too big next year. They were all getting loose this summer, but I don't want to get rid of them and then need them. By the time summer rolls around again we will be knee deep in wedding expenses for my daughter so I know I won't have money to spend on myself. I think that I will compromise with myself on this a little bit. If I am still losing in January I will get rid of them. I know if I can make it through to then I'll be good. I always get the need to lose hitting me in February LOL

I feel like I've let myself down in September and didn't reach my goals. I did lose, but no where near what I was hoping to. I'll take it a loss is a loss after all. Hopefully, October I can be more disciplined.

@Snowflake1968

Think of September and October as just human names for abstract divisions. Cats don't think in "months".

You lost weight. Yay for you!

If you're not losing 0.5 lb per week on average, perhaps you need to tighten up your logging. We always under-guesstimate weight of food.

Weigh calorie-dense food like chicken, salmon, avocado, rice, crisps, bread, potatoes, on a digital food scale in grams. Measure liquids such as soft drinks and milk drinks in millilitres.
  • Orphia
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    I have one pair of kahkis, two pairs of linen pants, and an abundance of leggings/yoga pants - ALL of which are too big but it's all I've got at the moment! I seriously hate shopping and usually order online - but I have no idea what size I even am right now. So I'm working up the courage to get out there and get one pair of jeans. I think I'll try dressbarn, and old navy - usually cheap enough and fit decent. Not sure why it's taking such a kick in the pants to get me to do this??! Will have lots more clothes to donate soon.

@AJB1014 Sympathy! I hate trying on clothes!

A tape measure is a good friend. :smile: Online is the way to go.

Every clothing company's measurements are slightly different.

I've become used to checking their online store Size Guides for their measurements and buying according to those.

• Orphia
    Decluttering literally helped me get myself out of depression. I was living in a studio apartment with a boyfriend I had stopped really respecting as a person. It took me a year to wrench myself out of a tv-watching, friend-avoiding, fast-food-binging, no-laundry-doing, no-cooking, couch-laying slump and finally break up with him and move out.

When I moved out and back in with my parents, I was putting my things in my small room and I just came up with a little rule out of nowhere. I told myself "if I can't find or create a place for an item, I have to throw it away." This little rule helped me donate a ton of clothes, give away a bunch of unnecessary items I was saving for no reason, and keep perfect track of all my belongings. I had always ALWAYS been a messy child and a messy adult, but this little rule (and a few others that came along) just helped me become and STAY organized. I started making my bed every day, putting things away as soon as I was done, keeping clothes in the closet or in the hamper, washing dishes immediately instead of keeping them in the sink for days. My life and home habits are totally different, and they've STAYED that way. It was amazing, and it all came of a little rule shift.

This sense of living in an organized space gives me so much less anxiety in my home, and I carried it along with me to my new apartment. Having one thing in order made it easier to get other things in my life in order, like my calendar, my emails, my work, and my nutrition.

@gallicinvasion What a beautiful post. :heart: I can't begin to say how many awesome things there are about it. Thank you.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited October 2018
    Hey gang~

I want to discuss (please do add some of thoughts too, okay) on another area of major importance in helping us not only LET GO of the mess and "weight which does so EASILY beset us), but really...take a serious look at a sneaking little "problem" that I personally had (this decluttering all things (inside and out) has truly helped me with and that's the nasty little varmint called...ANGER. I know many people will definitely poo-poo (or better yet woo) the notion that anger and weight gain and living in and with a lot of clutter, stress, sleeplessness, overeating and over-indulging in all kinds of coutner-productive YUCK and mess are sooooo connected. I personally have experienced the YUCK of anger, by "bothering" to keeping it in (going along to get along) and/or blasting someone to smithereens (verbally) because they DARED to not do what I wanted them to, I didn't get my way about something or other or even real and justified "anger" at some injustice, slight, hurt feeling and/or (fill in the blank). Have you noticed when we are angry with someone...we're usually guilty ourselves of if not the exact same thing, close to it OR if we are not guilty of this particular thing that's getting out goat...we could be and it's only by THe Grace of God we're not that particular yuck of what we're so angry at or about or with...YIKES!

Allowing the "spirit/disposition/attitude" of ANGER just jacked me up mentally, spiritually, emotionally, financially and especially physically. Once I DARED to peek behind the dreaded, deceitful/unreality and dastardly self pitying curtain of "my" anger--BAM! All kinds of truths and "revelations" and shockingly/disturbing things began to show themselves to me (hence one of the main reasons for starting this thread).

Anger is one of the root causes for so much yuck and self-imposed imprisonment and more. WE CAN'T WON'T
    CHANGE PEOPLE. No matter how much we whine, cry, fret, worry, threaten, flatter, pay-back, etc. it will NOT work. Using anger to "try" to get our way will only end up with us being on the short end of an ugly stick. Anger is not only addictive, it's comforting in some dysfunctional way. Anger is something we've GOT to reckon with and then LET IT GO, period. We tend to excuse or justify using anger as some sort of "righteousness" or motivation...it's a lie. We MUST replace anger with something productive and edifying if we want to be FREE from a whole lot of mess/stress and unnecessary YUCK. We don't have to continue to worship/serve our anger another second. That's NOT to say we'll be instantly "delivered" from anger, but if we choose to SEE it and call it out for what it is in us, that's half the battle. Much like the battle of the bulge and decluttering--it's NOT an I've arrived", but instead it's a I SEE YOU ANGER and you'll NOT have your way with and in me deal. Anger is a major cause of probably 80% of our issues...let's face it with a "perhaps I'm wrong" or I don't like this or that and will not put up with it and DO THE HARD WORK of changing things (perhaps slowly but surely) but again, no allowing anger to rule and reign in our hearts, minds, lives and homes! RECOGNIZING the super slick and subtle disguises "anger" uses in our ways of thinking and being and making choices. Handling our business if we must "permit" anger within us, that we CHOOSE to "exercise" anger ONLY as our "servant/slave" and no longer our "master/boss" (meaning we're in control...NOT the anger) AND Boom--watch what productive and wonderful things begin happening in and thru our hearts, minds, lives and homes!

What do you think of these things?
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    charlie9er wrote: »
    So this month is SERIOUS declutter month for me.

We have totes in storage from when we moved here two years ago. A) I’m paying $80 a month to store B) stuff I don’t even miss or know what’s in there!! My goal is to bring home a few totes every week so it doesn’t seem like a daunting chore at month end.

Also not really declutter, more like replace clutter but I bought a whole new work & workout wardrobe at a JCP “I’d be dumb not to buy it” sale, seriously almost $1,000 worth of clothes for $100!!

I’m wearing work clothes that could be considered retro or old school. Pants from 2005, tops from 2010 & my “newest” work purchase was 2 skirts, 2 years ago. Most of my clothes are from my Wisconsin days & don’t fit in my now Florida days.

I’ve just started to exercise so I bought a few workout tops as well.

This weekend I’m going thru ALL my clothes & shoes (even my beloved flip flop collection) & if I haven’t worn it lately, it’s not comfortable or it’s seen better days then it’s outta here!!!

Decluttering feels soooooo good!!! Even when the scale is not my friend, I feel lighter & definitely HAPPIER!!! 😁

Wow...you're doing it--you're awesome, period.
  • Orphia
    edited October 2018
    Anger?

Often when we feel crappy about ourselves, our voices have a tone that can sound like anger to others.

This tend to lead to crappy conversations.

The trick is to notice yourself doing it, and moderate your tone. This way you head off a confrontation at the pass.

ETA: one day, for example, I found myself and DH in a heated discussion, and I did a self-check and said,
    "Can we not have this discussion in an argumentative tone?".
    It helped us, and also my sister when I told her about it.
  • snoo61
    Anger is a big one for me. I was getting mad at DH when I first started this decluttering adventure, because he wasn't doing anything to help. Then NewLifestyle4me posted about just do it, and with a smile! I have tried since then to not sweat the petty things, in all areas. (I'm trying) And now DH is helping some.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited October 2018
    Orphia wrote: »
    Anger?

Often when we feel crappy about ourselves, our voices have a tone that can sound like anger to others.

The trick is to notice yourself doing it, and moderate your tone. This way you head off a confrontation at the pass.

ETA: one day, for example, I found myself and DH in a heated discussion, and I did a self-check and said,

Girllllll, THANKS so much for posting this. My tone of voice (and facial expressions) can definitely be a contributing factor for engaging in and escalating >:) ANGER/ANGRY >:) communications/feelings--for sure. NEVER even thought of that actually. Reminds me of The Word that instructs me: "a soft answer turns away wrath" I'm going to SO meditate and CHANGE (by recognizing and forsaking)a "rough/condescending/UNNECESSARY and YUCK tone of voice from now on!!!! Why? Because it doesn't work, period. Also, because quite frankly I'm better than that and I don't like and refuse to tolerate any "mess/stuff" in my heart and mind about anything anymore. Why? Cause I'm GROWN and I don't have to have a spoil-brat and/or malcontent "tude" about anything anymore. I'm too old for that mess, period.

I was "taught/trained" the old-school way of correcting my children using only giving them "THE EYE" when they were misbehaving and though using/giving the "The EYE" worked like a charm when they were children (just like it did for me from my mother giving me "the eye" when I was young). I haven't conscientiously considered that I still use "the eye" with folk when I'm "smelling myself" (as my parents used to say) and getting/being angry about "stuff". It DEFINITELY fuels "anger" in and thru me and I'll "watch it" from now on. Girl, "tone of voice" indeed. I truly am grateful for your post about this. Thank you O o:)<3o:)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited October 2018
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Anger is a big one for me. I was getting mad at DH when I first started this decluttering adventure, because he wasn't doing anything to help. Then NewLifestyle4me posted about just do it, and with a smile! I have tried since then to not sweat the petty things, in all areas. (I'm trying) And now DH is helping some.

Girl, you are so fabulous, just ALWAYS making me smile and THINK! Honey, I HAD to adopt that way of thinking and acting/reacting and guess what? IT WORKS! I love you sharing/using this example so much. Honey, that DO IT YOURSELF AND DO IT WITH A SMILE ON YOUR FACE, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO, BUT BECAUSE YOU "GET TO" AND ARE THE BOMB.COM LIKE THAT.

It's NOT our "job" to fix people, getting mad doesn't help anyone and only hurts...US and hurts us something fierce, truly crazymaking--wow, yuck. Again, what helps us "fix" stuff is quit looking for people to do stuff with or for us and simply DO IT YOURSELF AND DO IT WITH JOY AND SMILE ON YOUR FACE, PERIOD. How powerful that truly is...not merely for us, but for those around us and in our lives/homes. Girl--that business of "expectation" of/from others is truly a destructive "setting ourselves up for YUCK to spread it's foul and cantankerous anger and mess and worse, IT DOESN'T WORK. Same goes for our weight-loss adventure, we MUST be our own cheerleaders and once we do--it's ON and here comes fabulous results, slowly but surely...HERE THEY COME--BOOM! :smiley:

DO IT YOURSELF and WITH JOY AND A SMILE ON YOUR FACE AND IN YOUR HEART--that super and immediately destroys all that anger, revenge, wrath, and yuck and immediately brings about getting things done (the way YOU want to--the ole "ya want something done right, DO IT YOURSELF"), calms us down, fills us with humility and power and is just right and righteous and what happens then,,,BOOM! Here come some help, even if it's just a tad bit. Like my children utterly decluttering their rooms last week. I simply asked one time and they had the best atttudes ever. Why? Because they've been "learning" by seeing me DO IT MYSELF and that makes them respect and honor me more and helps me respect and honor myself even more. THANK YOU SNOO for posting this, you ROCK!
  • snoo61
    Anger?

This is my reality. I get witchy when I'm not happy with myself. I've been trying to moderate, successfully more often, my attitude and tone of voice.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I have one pair of kahkis, two pairs of linen pants, and an abundance of leggings/yoga pants - ALL of which are too big but it's all I've got at the moment! I seriously hate shopping and usually order online - but I have no idea what size I even am right now. So I'm working up the courage to get out there and get one pair of jeans. I think I'll try dressbarn, and old navy - usually cheap enough and fit decent. Not sure why it's taking such a kick in the pants to get me to do this??! Will have lots more clothes to donate soon.

@AJB1014 Sympathy! I hate trying on clothes!

A tape measure is a good friend. :smile: Online is the way to go.

Every clothing company's measurements are slightly different.

I've become used to checking their online store Size Guides for their measurements and buying according to those.

So insightful! Thank you for the tip, gives me some of that courage to try it out!
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member

HEY!!!! Nice to hear from ya {{{ <3 Hugs <3 }}} Are you all done and settled in with the moving? Hope all is fabulous on that front. Girl, I totally "get-it" and love the way you phrase it "working up the "courage", because that's really what it boils down to. Wow! I get it. Let me share what you already know, once you get started...it's ON. Getting started is slap in the face, a kick in the behind and a knock-out punch to/for whatever issues we're struggling with.

Thank you!!! I've got about a dozen boxes left in the spare bedroom that I havent missed living without - so I'm going to declutter those before I unpack them too! And I went to dressbarn. It was an all around great experience. A SIZE 10! I could not believe it. But those jeans gave me LIFE this weekend. You are so right - it's ON now that I'm loving myself in clothes that fit!!!
  • snoo61
    Count down to meeting my 6+ years (started Mfp 6+ LONG years ago at 219.8lbs) to meet/WELCOMING of the so-called "normal" BMI weight. GOAL=153lbs after vainly and tirelessly trying EVERYTHING in the book over the past 6+ years to permanently LET GO of the excess, unhealthy, unattractive, unnecessary fat and yuck from out of my mind/heart/spirit, and off of my body AND out of my environment/life ).

Finally after ALL this time and continuing PROCESS of, "learning&doing/applying what I'm learning DAILY" to LET IT GO AND DON'T LOOK BACK (decluttering and humbling myself to get rid of ALL of the "mess and stress" from out of my head, heart, spirit, letting GO of toxic relationships and toxic THINKING/BEHAVING myself and out of my home (inside and outside) has been a major KEY to my success (at long last)--starting in November/December of 2017
    vheco40m3s1h.jpeg

66ekq40gatco.png

As of today, I'm 157.6lbs and that's 4,6lbs away from my goal of 153lbs (aka no longer obese, no longer overweight). After that, I'll be making a new goal of 139-145lbs.

I'm posting this to let you all know that taking your time, getting rid of/LETTING GO of the stress and mess out of your lives will help you reach all kinds of goals, including weight blastification, it really will. Will you still/continue to have stress and mess in your life after meeting your weight blastification goals and totally decluttering? YEP, you will and that's part of the joy/fun of living...learning and the fabulous MAINTENANCE state of all we're doing. Getting there is one fabulous stage, MAINTAINING your wins is a whole nother wonderful kettle of fish. Why wonderful? Because maintance will keep us humble and help us to live the rest of our lives being not mere champions, but ever learning and growing-I LOVE THAT!!

Also please know that if/since I can do this, literally ANYONE CAN, for realz--BOOM o:)<3o:)

ETA: I am accomplishing this success by eating whatever I want to (NO RESTRICTIONS ON ANYTHING AT ALL--this includes a lot of eating/dining out and junk foods). The major difference is that I am eating far smaller portions of whatever I eat and less frequently than when I was obese/fat. I'm actually eating a lot like when I was stick skinny in my youth and before children. I also am NOT and have not exercised AT ALL. The only "exercise" I am doing is N.E.A.T. exercising=decluttering, household chores, (daily) and walking to and from the grocery store instead of driving (2-3 times per week--about 4-5 miles in total-back and forth). Also, I REFUSE to allow stress and mess to overcome me now. LETTING GO of toxic people. places and things is a major contributing factor in my winning these battles of the bulge and decluttering/mess/messy thinking and living

Nice job (and slippers)!! Its great to know it can happen without diet restrictions. I also eat whatever I feel like. It won't help me to lose the weight and binge on all the food I denied myself. I'm trying to be realistic. :)
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Great job!!!!!!!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited October 2018
    Anger?

This is my reality. I get witchy when I'm not happy with myself. I've been trying to moderate, successfully more often, my attitude and tone of voice.

o:)<3o:)

Count down to meeting my 6+ years (started Mfp 6+ LONG years ago at 219.8lbs) to meet/WELCOMING of the so-called "normal" BMI weight. GOAL=153lbs after vainly and tirelessly trying EVERYTHING in the book over the past 6+ years to permanently LET GO of the excess, unhealthy, unattractive, unnecessary fat and yuck from out of my mind/heart/spirit, and off of my body AND out of my environment/life ).

Finally after ALL this time and continuing PROCESS of, "learning&doing/applying what I'm learning DAILY" to LET IT GO AND DON'T LOOK BACK (decluttering and humbling myself to get rid of ALL of the "mess and stress" from out of my head, heart, spirit, letting GO of toxic relationships and toxic THINKING/BEHAVING myself and out of my home (inside and outside) has been a major KEY to my success (at long last)--starting in November/December of 2017
    vheco40m3s1h.jpeg

66ekq40gatco.png

As of today, I'm 157.6lbs and that's 4,6lbs away from my goal of 153lbs (aka no longer obese, no longer overweight). After that, I'll be making a new goal of 139-145lbs.

I'm posting this to let you all know that taking your time, getting rid of/LETTING GO of the stress and mess out of your lives will help you reach all kinds of goals, including weight blastification, it really will. Will you still/continue to have stress and mess in your life after meeting your weight blastification goals and totally decluttering? YEP, you will and that's part of the joy/fun of living...learning and the fabulous MAINTENANCE state of all we're doing. Getting there is one fabulous stage, MAINTAINING your wins is a whole nother wonderful kettle of fish. Why wonderful? Because maintance will keep us humble and help us to live the rest of our lives being not mere champions, but ever learning and growing-I LOVE THAT!!

Also please know that if/since I can do this, literally ANYONE CAN, for realz--BOOM o:)<3o:)

ETA: I am accomplishing this success by eating whatever I want to (NO RESTRICTIONS ON ANYTHING AT ALL--this includes a lot of eating/dining out and junk foods). The major difference is that I am eating far smaller portions of whatever I eat and less frequently than when I was obese/fat. I'm actually eating a lot like when I was stick skinny in my youth and before children. I also am NOT and have not exercised AT ALL. The only "exercise" I am doing is N.E.A.T. exercising=decluttering, household chores, (daily) and walking to and from the grocery store instead of driving (2-3 times per week--about 4-5 miles in total-back and forth). Also, I REFUSE to allow stress and mess to overcome me now. LETTING GO of toxic people. places and things is a major contributing factor in my winning these battles of the bulge and decluttering/mess/messy thinking and living

Nice job (and slippers)!! Its great to know it can happen without diet restrictions. I also eat whatever I feel like. It won't help me to lose the weight and binge on all the food I denied myself. I'm trying to be realistic. :)

Thanks Snoo...I love these slippers, I've had them for sometime and they are mega comfortable and cute. Being "realistic" is the only way to fly--anything other than being realistic will and is counter-productive/self-destructive, frustrating and in vain (I'm speaking from YEARS of experience from living in unreality) and yuck of that state of mind and being/doing is horrible. Unreality like being in a hurry is of the >:) and feels so right and yet is so wrong!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!