Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Replies

• admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Grunting (completely unnecessary). Trying to spark a conversation with me when I’m in my zone with my headphones on & starring (especially when doing hip thrusts. It’s an unspoken rule that you don’t stare when someone does hip thrusts lol)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    admaarie wrote: »
    Grunting (completely unnecessary). Trying to spark a conversation with me when I’m in my zone with my headphones on & starring (especially when doing hip thrusts. It’s an unspoken rule that you don’t stare when someone does hip thrusts lol)

I need spoken rules; I can't hear the unspoken ones.

The unspoken ones are more like.... I dunno, suggestions.

This is especially true on the subject of Hip Thrusters.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    The biggest thing that annoys me at the gym is waiting a long time for equipment.

Which is not really their fault.

But let's say I want to use 3 machines. Machine 1 is taken, so I go to machine 2, it's taken, so I go to machine 3, it's taken, so I go back to wait for machine 1, and someone new is on the machine. So I wait for machine 1, and that person wants to hog the machine and spend all day on it. So I go to machine 2 and someone new is on machine 2.

That is very annoying. I like to spend my workout working out and not standing around waiting. And also annoying is having to do scavenger hunts for weight clips and the other matching weight of the dumbbell, while simultaneously trying to protect your bench space.

@IHaveMyActTogether

why not ask: "May I Work In?"

most folks have no problem with this.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    The biggest thing that annoys me at the gym is waiting a long time for equipment.

But let's say I want to use 3 machines. Machine 1 is taken, so I go to machine 2, it's taken, so I go to machine 3, it's taken, so I go back to wait for machine 1, and someone new is on the machine. So I wait for machine 1, and that person wants to hog the machine and spend all day on it. So I go to machine 2 and someone new is on machine 2.

That is very annoying. I like to spend my workout working out and not standing around waiting. And also annoying is having to do scavenger hunts for weight clips and the other matching weight of the dumbbell, while simultaneously trying to protect your bench space.

@IHaveMyActTogether

I don't want to work in on some things. Having to strip and load plates between each set is a hassle.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member

@IHaveMyActTogether

I don't want to work in on some things. Having to strip and load plates between each set is a hassle.

Some are kind enough to help in loading and unloading your weights. May even help you push weight which you don't normally do.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    kaizaku wrote: »

@IHaveMyActTogether

Some are kind enough to help in loading and unloading your weights. May even help you push weight which you don't normally do.

Thanks for the tip.
  • kaizaku
    jenilla1 wrote: »

@IHaveMyActTogether

I'm not really a jerk. I'm just an introvert. I'd rather go to the dentist than "work in" with strangers at the gym. I just want to be left alone to do my thing. :/

I've let people join in, my workout. Its no big deal. I didn't necessarily talk and I don't see the point in talking. Even if you an introvert.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member

@IHaveMyActTogether

I'm not really a jerk. I'm just an introvert. I'd rather go to the dentist than "work in" with strangers at the gym. I just want to be left alone to do my thing. :/

You realize that this is your issue and not the general management of the gym's. Gyms are public places. If someone really values their privacy, a home gym is the solution. At my gym here in Oaxaca Mexico, we all work in just fine and working in doesn't mean some big social interaction. They do a set, I do a set. Maybe a "how many sets do you have left?" or a "this is my last one". All in Spanish of course.
  • Nikki4069
    Nikki4069 Posts: 11 Member
    Unconventional use of the equipment, like doing a dance routine on the treadmill!!
  • r0ck3rgirl
    r0ck3rgirl Posts: 67 Member
    edited October 2018
    Staring. 100% If you see someone with mobility issues for Goodness sake don't stare at them. Even if you're thinking good for them it can feel very uncomfortable. Also I hate the gym "expert" I really do. I know they're trying tp be helpful but my physical therapist has already taught me correct form.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    People using machine/equipment RIGHT NEXT TO ME when there are literally 20 some odd empty ones. Anyone trying to talk to me. Overly perky/friendly front desk people (or any people).
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Nikki4069 wrote: »
    Unconventional use of the equipment, like doing a dance routine on the treadmill!!

Some people like to actually enjoy their workout.

• landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    This doesn’t really happen at my gym, but getting all judgey with out of shape people.
  • IHaveMyActTogether

@IHaveMyActTogether

I've let people join in, my workout. Its no big deal. I didn't necessarily talk and I don't see the point in talking. Even if you an introvert.

I don't mind working in on say, triceps press, where all you have to do is move the pin. But if I'm leg pressing 600+ pounds and the person working on leg press is doing 90, that' a hassle for both of us to work in. I'd rather wait.

I don't want to work in with some dude benching three plates, because every minute you're stripping plates. If we're both working at a similar weight, then I don't mind working in on bench.

Also don't like working in on the pullup machine/dip station. Because it speeds up the workout to where both of you are not taking the proper rest periods and end up not doing as many dips because you're gassed.

• kaizaku

@IHaveMyActTogether

I don't mind working in on say, triceps press, where all you have to do is move the pin. But if I'm leg pressing 600+ pounds and the person working on leg press is doing 90, that' a hassle for both of us to work in. I'd rather wait.

I don't want to work in with some dude benching three plates, because every minute you're stripping plates. If we're both working at a similar weight, then I don't mind working in on bench.

Also don't like working in on the pullup machine/dip station. Because it speeds up the workout to where both of you are not taking the proper rest periods and end up not doing as many dips because you're gassed.

I Totally understand what you mean. But, if its busy, and want a gym session for an hour then you got to do, what needs to be done. But if you don't mind being in the gym 2+ hours. Wait all day by all means. Also one can't assume the person who will join do 90kg leg press, perhaps he will push more weight. If you go gym after work, do you seriously want to stay that long?
  • IHaveMyActTogether

@IHaveMyActTogether

I Totally understand what you mean. But, if its busy, and want a gym session for an hour then you got to do, what needs to be done. But if you don't mind being in the gym 2+ hours. Wait all day by all means. Also one can't assume the person who will join do 90kg leg press, perhaps he will push more weight. If you go gym after work, do you seriously want to stay that long?

To each his own is how I look at it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Nikki4069 wrote: »

I don't really mind something like that. That sounds entertaining, actually. How about those ladies who use the assisted pullup-dip machine to do their 30-45 minute cardio leg and butt workout... :s
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    edited October 2018