October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins That is funny! You are lucky! It seems to rain here every time I run. I am definitely not a badass. I always find that first step out the hardest. Once I am in it, my brain accepts I will be fine.

Welcome @wittybelle !

@mbaker566 He is cute ... even if a jerk.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    aaaah
    i was just thinking when we had some chilly weather i wish there were jackets or shirts that had a split for the watches
    and tadaaa and it doesn't cost and arm and a leg
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Welcome @wittybelle and @coltrane73!
    @mbaker566 good thing they're cute, right? ;)
    @RespectTheKitty I'm running in the morning with my dogs now, but used to run at lunchtime with a coworker. We are fortunate in that we have two restrooms (per gender, 4 total) with two changing areas and showers in each. The complexity involved in coordinating with other coworkers to share the space was sometimes hilarious.

W2D2 done with the dogs this morning. I left the house right about the time I'm normally returning, so pushed pretty hard and ended up having to go past the house to complete the cooldown time. In retrospect, the push was unnecessary as the workout is 31 minutes regardless. Doh!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    October goal: 95 miles

10/2: 5.5 miles
    10/3: 5 miles
    10/4: 5 miles
    10/6: 3.1miles Old Rip 5K - PR and 2nd place AG
    10/8: 5.2 miles
    10/10: 5 miles

28.5/95 miles completed

Today's run was a chilly 5 miles. I was glad I didn't run yesterday since it was raining and thundering when I got up. I had run Monday instead. It did clear up by later in the afternoon, but then it was kind of hot and not as nice as Monday afternoon had been so I was glad I ran then. Today was good. It was ~52F which is actually a bit chilly for me. But it was a nice break from the heat of the summer. It is always harder for me to run in the cold though. I never quite know how to dress. In the summer I just wear shorts and a tank top and my cap. Today I wore capris and a t-shirt. I debated about wearing the cap or a headband. The cap won't keep my ears warm, but the headband is kind of uncomfortable with my earbud. In the end I went with the cap and it was the right call. My legs were fine and my torso was too, but my arms were a little chilly and my hands were kind of cold. I thought about wearing a jacket, but I only have a black jacket and really would want to wear something more reflective early in the morning. Plus I'm sure I would have ended up running with the jacket around my waist since it wasn't that cold. I also need to get some gloves for running. I know I have some gloves somewhere, but no idea where they are. And I would really just like some lightweight gloves to block the wind, not necessarily really warm gloves. I'll probably go back to running in the afternoon or maybe at lunch time when it starts to get really cold. (Although compared to a lot of you it never gets really cold here.) But I think as long as it is in the 50's then running in the morning won't be a problem.

@RespectTheKitty I have run at lunch before, but I live really close to my office and I go home for lunch. The main thing I don't like about running at lunch is that by the time I get home and change I only have about 30 minutes to actually run if I am going to shower and change again and get back to work. When I do run at lunch I make sure to lay everything out so I can change quickly and I pack a lunch that I can take with me to eat at my desk. I would think for you the shower would be the hardest part. If you have a private restroom maybe you could just kind of use a wash cloth to rinse off.

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    10/6/18: Old Rip 5K Run - PR 29:43.5, 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    06/10 3.17 miles
    10/10 3.19 miles

It's storm after after here at the moment, a little lull until tomorrow night and its still crazy windy

exercise.png

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Don't know what happened to post earlier but here goes again:
    @RespectTheKitty I have run at lunch in the past and probably will again during this winter due to daylight issues. However it is relatively easy for me as my job is flexible enough that I can take an hour plus break as long as I am available by phone for any emergencies, I have a gym nearby that I shower in and scrubs are the ultimate in ease of getting dressed.

ETA: Nice bling @MegaMooseEsq

@wittybelle and @coltrane73 Welcome!

@shanaber hope Hobbes prognosis comes back good.

1.57 zippy miles today after upper body circuit with the PT0 which brings total to 30.77 so far this month per endomondo, then 10 minutes on the stationary bike.

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 - Saw your post about the elevated liver enzyme tests. I have had mine be high off and on but not consistently high. Last time they were high my doctor ordered a liver ultrasound and everything came back normal. She did say that they are seeing a significant rise in non-alcoholic related fatty livers even in children. One thing you might look into is Milk Thistle supplement but you would need to check with your doctor before trying it. It has been shown to have some good results for helping liver health and reducing ALT and AST.
    Also here is a study I found when mine were high that talks about the effect on long distance runners based on age and speed. Note the sample size was very small - just 14 runners, but still interesting results. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4415847/
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Awww, poor Hobbes. @shanaber I know you will make him as comfortable as you can, and hope the pathology report comes back with good news.

Welcome @wittybelle and @coltrane73!