Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If you drink Diet Coke obsessively....You might be a runner. What's that all about?

Options

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    Not saying coke or diet coke is bad and it may not be however I challenge someone to show that it is good for you. Me I am a water drinker and a runner. I am also a keto person now so I guess I will skip the bagels with cheese and just hit the fruit. I know it is still carbs but the fruit carbs seem better for me....we'll see.

Why does Diet Coke have to be “good for you”? Why can’t it be neutral? Since it’s ~98% water anyway, and the ingredients are not shown to be harmful, if a person enjoys the taste of it why do they have to prove some health benefits in order to get your seal of approval?

Neutral is not good or bad. I only stated that I prefer not to have diet soda and never implied that soda drinkers need my approval. I guess I should not use good or bad as what I was getting at is benefit. I don't see me spending money on something that has zero calories and zero nutrition but thats just me.
  • rsclause
    Options
    Not saying coke or diet coke is bad and it may not be however I challenge someone to show that it is good for you. Me I am a water drinker and a runner. I am also a keto person now so I guess I will skip the bagels with cheese and just hit the fruit. I know it is still carbs but the fruit carbs seem better for me....we'll see.

Why does Diet Coke have to be “good for you”? Why can’t it be neutral? Since it’s ~98% water anyway, and the ingredients are not shown to be harmful, if a person enjoys the taste of it why do they have to prove some health benefits in order to get your seal of approval?

Neutral is not good or bad. I only stated that I prefer not to have diet soda and never implied that soda drinkers need my approval. I guess I should not use good or bad as what I was getting at is benefit. I don't see me spending money on something that has zero calories and zero nutrition but thats just me.

Enjoyment?

Water has zero calories and zero nutrition but people spend all kinds of money on bottled waters, filters, etc.

Not me. I use a Hydro-flask and fill it several times a day, I highly recommend it. It can sit in a hot car and still keep water cold. I am cheap so this works better than bottled water for me. I am also fortunate that I have great water in my region that is fine without filtering. When I used bottled water in the past I would end up with many half empty bottles to dispose of. I think we can all agree the are bodies need water but there are other ways to get it like diet coke if you enjoy that more. Once again we are dealing with personal preference here so nobody is wrong here.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Saying that diet soda hydrates as well as water may be true but it also includes CARBONATED WATER, CARAMEL COLOR, ASPARTAME, PHOSPHORIC ACID, POTASSIUM BENZOATE (TO PROTECT TASTE), NATURAL FLAVORS, CITRIC ACID, CAFFEINE.

Only 1 of those causes me concern. And that's caffeine if I drink too much too late at night.

But that's not really a negative in the morning.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It seems we moved past the original observation that all runners drink diet Coke, but just wanted to say that must be a regional thing? I'm a runner, and I just see water and/or sports drinks around here. And coffee seems to be the pre-workout of choice, and the post-workout social drinks of choice are coffee or beer.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Diet Coke is 99% water and actually hydrates you better than water. cbq1lnhrxndm.jpeg

Where did you get this chart from?

It’s an illustration of the results found from this study:
    https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/103/3/717/4564598

There’s another illustration of the same results found in the link but it isn’t as pretty.

I am just stuck on how you got some many oreo's in your mouth.. I strive to be you!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    kdbulger wrote: »
    It seems we moved past the original observation that all runners drink diet Coke, but just wanted to say that must be a regional thing? I'm a runner, and I just see water and/or sports drinks around here. And coffee seems to be the pre-workout of choice, and the post-workout social drinks of choice are coffee or beer.

Yeah, pretty much. I don't think there is any actual evidence for the runner/diet coke thing.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I read in the past that people would shake up cocacola so that it becomes flat and drink it. It served the same purpose as a energy drink/energy shot. Dunno how much of it's true since i have never tried it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I read in the past that people would shake up cocacola so that it becomes flat and drink it. It served the same purpose as a energy drink/energy shot. Dunno how much of it's true since i have never tried it.

I don't like the taste of full fat (sugar!) coke, that's why I drink diet. So that's not something I'd want to try!
  • rsclause
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »

Enjoyment?

Water has zero calories and zero nutrition but people spend all kinds of money on bottled waters, filters, etc.

Not me. I use a Hydro-flask and fill it several times a day, I highly recommend it. It can sit in a hot car and still keep water cold. I am cheap so this works better than bottled water for me. I am also fortunate that I have great water in my region that is fine without filtering. When I used bottled water in the past I would end up with many half empty bottles to dispose of. I think we can all agree the are bodies need water but there are other ways to get it like diet coke if you enjoy that more. Once again we are dealing with personal preference here so nobody is wrong here.

I find the bolded funny because this is the point that everyone else was trying to make that you challenged by saying "prove to me that diet coke is good for you." You are fantastic at switching up your statements when you can no longer defend your position.

It was a round about way to say if I don't get any nutrition or calories I don't see why I would want to drink it. I asked for others to list any benefit to drinking it and the best I got was it hydrates as well as water. The obvious miss is that it tastes good to some but not me.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    boehle wrote: »
    Diet Coke is 99% water and actually hydrates you better than water. cbq1lnhrxndm.jpeg

There’s another illustration of the same results found in the link but it isn’t as pretty.

I am just stuck on how you got some many oreo's in your mouth.. I strive to be you!

I have another pic where I fit five. The four was a better pose for the avatar, though. lol
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Challenge accepted.
    As shown earlier in the thread, soda (regular or diet) hydrates at least as well as water, thus it is very good for you (seeing as how hydration is critical for life).
    From there, there are no known negative affects to offset the health benefits of proper hydration gained by drinking soda.
    Regular soda can be calorie dense and not very filling so may make it more difficult to maintain a proper intake of energy but otherwise has no ingredients which are harmful to your health.
    Diet soda is essentially calorie free and also has no ingredients which are harmful to your health and thus the choice between hydrating with water vs diet coke boils down to preference.

Diet Coke is as good for you as water.
    I challenge you to show that water is not good for you.

Challenge accepted!
    Water is good for you, done. I know what you meant but you asked me "to show water is not good for you" (for the humor impaired this is meant to be funny but not hilarious)

Saying that diet soda hydrates as well as water may be true but it also includes CARBONATED WATER, CARAMEL COLOR, ASPARTAME, PHOSPHORIC ACID, POTASSIUM BENZOATE (TO PROTECT TASTE), NATURAL FLAVORS, CITRIC ACID, CAFFEINE.

While all of these may not have a dangerous or harmful effect that does not mean they have no effect. Take regular cola for example it has high fructose sweeteners which are not necessarily bad however in some people it causes insulin resistance issues. Anyway I just prefer water and can do without diet soda as a personal preference. If further down the road any of these ingredients are found to be a negative I will be unaffected. If water is found to be bad for me I am doomed.

HFCS doesn't cause insulin resistance. And I'm sure there's some logical fallacy for what you just did, other than the ongoing natural fallacy you have going on.

For a novel proposition, I'm an odd case study. I drink water AND diet soda. A lot of both, actually. I like both equally. They serve different functions as beverages for me.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    boehle wrote: »

I have another pic where I fit five. The four was a better pose for the avatar, though. lol

But you ate all 9, didn't you?

(It's page 5 - I'm allowed to jump in with a totally unrelated comment now, right?)