Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Intermittent fasting - Dr Jason Fung

Options
amberellen12
amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
I have watch a few of his YouTube videos and read one of his books. The Diabetic Code.

I’m interested in his claim that you have to fast to get your insulin down and after 36 hours you start using your stored body fat.

Anyone else read his work and claims? what do you think about it?

Replies

• johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    johnwelk wrote: »
    Fasting is an may possibly be an effective way to reverse insulin resistance along with a LCHF diet. Fung just published something in the BMJ on it.
    Fixed it for ya.
    An article on it:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/09/health/diabetes-fasting-study/index.html?fbclid=IwAR16JDXhm3d5u8Y2E6ycjbPmFh18ZNhM0pRJwkJbauXqQJ5bJ0uO3XayTPo

The study:
    http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2018/bcr-2017-221854.full 9

Therapeutic use of intermittent fasting for people with type 2 diabetes as an alternative to insulin

Summary
    This case series documents three patients referred to the Intensive Dietary Management clinic in Toronto, Canada, for insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes. It demonstrates the effectiveness of therapeutic fasting to reverse their insulin resistance, resulting in cessation of insulin therapy while maintaining control of their blood sugars. In addition, these patients were also able to lose significant amounts of body weight, reduce their waist circumference and also reduce their glycated haemoglobin level.

This n of 3 case series can also be appropriately titled:

Therapeutic use of weight loss with type 2 diabetes as an alternative to insulin.

To the OP, yeah Fung is a quack

And the next study?

Huh?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    rorytait wrote: »
    I also started with his videos, followed up by reading all 3 of his books. I lost 10 kg in 3 months, following his fasting and diet protocols. BF from 15 % down to 10. He radically altered my perception of diet and nutrition. His isn't the only game in town regarding IF and LCHF but I think he's brilliant. Just my two cents

Well, first insulin is the single cause of weight gain. People forget fat gets stored directly as fat. It does not even need to be converted. People lose and maintain weight gain on any macro level. There is research that a moderate carb diet high in fiber helps with maintenance. I believe that the big difference in high carb vs low carb is protein. Lchf tends to be higher in protein and fiber. Both have high tef and satiety. Does IF do anything? Maybe. We need more research on it. I IF for hunger and satiety issues. I don't get hungry until after I eat. Lchf, higher carbs meals, it does not matter. As far as IDM, I actually contacted them. I was interested in their style for maintenance. When they found out I lost my weight already, they wanted nothing to do with me. Kind of raises red flags to me. Jmho.

Insulin is also the thing that keeps you from starving to death even if you eat massive amounts of food. Doesn't matter how much food goes into your stomach and how much glucose gets into your bloodstream if none of your cells can use it.

Uh yeah. I know this, i was responding to why I think fung is misguided. I deal with type 1 diabetics. When they have really high blood sugars they lose weight. No insulin to provide energy.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Actually, hflc for type 1 diabetics might not be a bad thing. Type 2 diabetics usually have plenty of insulin. The muscle just can't use it properly.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

He’s very popular lately!

9qb5ccpu8757.jpg

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Fasting is an may possibly be an effective way to reverse insulin resistance along with a LCHF diet. Fung just published something in the BMJ on it.
    Fixed it for ya.
    An article on it:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/09/health/diabetes-fasting-study/index.html?fbclid=IwAR16JDXhm3d5u8Y2E6ycjbPmFh18ZNhM0pRJwkJbauXqQJ5bJ0uO3XayTPo

The study:
    http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2018/bcr-2017-221854.full 9

Therapeutic use of intermittent fasting for people with type 2 diabetes as an alternative to insulin

Summary
    This case series documents three patients referred to the Intensive Dietary Management clinic in Toronto, Canada, for insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes. It demonstrates the effectiveness of therapeutic fasting to reverse their insulin resistance, resulting in cessation of insulin therapy while maintaining control of their blood sugars. In addition, these patients were also able to lose significant amounts of body weight, reduce their waist circumference and also reduce their glycated haemoglobin level.

This n of 3 case series can also be appropriately titled:

Therapeutic use of weight loss with type 2 diabetes as an alternative to insulin.

To the OP, yeah Fung is a quack

And the next study?

Huh?

From up thread:

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(18)30253-5