October Self-Care Challenge

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,129 Member
    Options
    Sunday: planted up some planters with bulbs and viola for spring. Picked the last of my outdoor tomatoes
    Monday: wrote some poetry, and did some sketching
    Tuesday: worked on a quilt I'm making. I bought myself a new sewing machine, which arrived on Monday morning, so getting the pieces ready to sew. Went to my crochet group after dinner.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @skram01 and @TerriRichardson112 I love spring bulbs!!! Such a positive thing to do, planting them. :heart:

Yay for your new sewing machine, Terri! I'm thinking of getting one. Mine is 30 years old and blew up the other day. :smiley:

What sort did you get? Is it a special one for quilting? I've seen those, but I'm looking for one for making clothes.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,129 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @Orphia I bought my old Singer Slant-o-matic secondhand in the 1980s. It did embroidery stitches and double needle stitching, but sounded like a tractor. Lol! Lately the tension has gone haywire, and it has been chewing up fabric.
    The new one is a Brother computerised machine, with a quilting extension, and extra embroidery feet, and it's soooo quiet. I'm having great fun experimenting. It even threads the needle automatically.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I really hate I missed this
  • Orphia
    Options
    beaches222 wrote: »
    I really hate I missed this

@beaches222 You didn't miss this! We continue the thread from month to month. You can start anytime!

Tagging you so you can come back and check out the first page tips, and browse the replies, and jump in.
  • Orphia
    Options
    LOL, since starting this challenge and quitting alcohol, you probably know I've rediscovered my love of drawing.

On Sunday, my marathon finish line official photos were all of me trying to take a picture of the timing clock. :smiley: (It was my mission for Inktober that day so I could get a good reference for my drawing.)

I was thinking about drawing even then! :smiley:
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I haven't done so well for self-care the last couple of days - and yesterday ended up eating too much pizza and slept badly last night! I can feel the anxiety rising about overeating and then choosing to try and sleep rather than go to the gym this morning. I even had stressful dreams about our vacation next week. Fortunately, I'm now armed with a lot of useful tool so that I can combat this rather than succumb to the black hole of anxiety and binge eating. I'm going to do a guided meditation to start the day, get some things ticked off my to-do list for work and maybe do some drawing or other design work. It's amazing the difference that taking just a small amount of time to look after yourself can make!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    This thread. I'm starring it. I've seen it before, but I haven't needed it. I think I need it now.

It seems like most people overeat when stressed. I'm the opposite. Nothing tastes good. It's hard to even swallow. I'm sick to my stomach - simultaneously hungry and sickened by the thought of food. I'm going to try some toast.

<3 to all.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I managed to accomplish several things on my list. It felt good to cross things off my list. I decided to spend time with my husband in lieu of starting to pull the old garden out.

This morning I am enjoying my cup of coffee while I work on my grocery matter list. I had listed everything out already so today I am working on organizing it so I know how to space it in my bullet journal. I am finding all these things I missed and realizing just how many things we use regularly or semi regularly. I can't believe how much I have subconsciously loved in my head and am going through every time I go shopping. Once I'm finished I'm going to eat a little something, walk the dog, and start in on the garden. I'm skipping the gym today because class was cancelled. There will be open may but I would rather save the drive time to use in the garden and just go for a longer or extra walk with the dog. I'm sure she will enjoy it as well!
  • avocadochampagne
    avocadochampagne Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So inspired by all these posts! I’m a bit bummed that I missed the start of this, but I also started my diet on a friday so I’mnjoining in & looking forward to continue in November!

Monday I went to yoga for the first time in 4 years and felt insanely relaxed and energized after it. For dinner I made pumpkin cream soup, turned out delicious.

Tuesday: got home from work early, spent the whole afternoon/evening in bed with my fave shows and drank my weight in tea. Oh and made a batch of really good falafel.

Wednesday: Turned off my phone&laptop and snuggled up with a great book for like 5 hours

Today: Waiting for my hairdye to do its thing as we speak, I’m dying it pink. Will post photos tomorrow :)
  • Orphia
    Options
    It's my goal to find something new before the end of the 60 days so I can be free of that toxic environment.

Excellent!

You can look forward to a new environment, no baggage, a fresh start.

Glad you're applying for lots of jobs.

Do some cold-calling and send a letter and your Résumé to places you think would be really nice to work for. I got my dream job in a bookshop that way.

And maybe try and look forward to leaving that crappy job. :smile:
  • Orphia
    Options
    Had a 90 min wait at Govt Bureaucracy- brought my art supplies & sketched faces!! The wait time flew by!!

Drinking hot tea & taking longer walks in this lovely October weather have also been self-care items for me!

@MadisonMolly2017 I love this!

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,005 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Had a 90 min wait at Govt Bureaucracy- brought my art supplies & sketched faces!! The wait time flew by!!

Drinking hot tea & taking longer walks in this lovely October weather have also been self-care items for me!

@MadisonMolly2017 I love this!

I knew you would @Orphia!!
    Sounds like things are going well for you!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,005 Member
    Options
    Oct 21 self-care
    A walk & then more walking 😀

Wore a “thin blouse” over a “thin” no-sleeved blouse. I couldn’t wear either of these 10-20 lbs ago! Very cool.

A cup of tea ☕️
  • cnez4
    cnez4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wanna join