WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited October 2018
    Happy Saturday morning, afternoon, evening, all...

Second night in the mountain house last night, and the new occupants are all settling in. It was Egg's first night out of the bedroom we're using for storage. She's doing SOOO much better than she did on the last move, but a) she's older, and b) there's no German shepherd here, or grandkids, to freak her completely out, as they did in North Carolina. It did, however, remind me why we don't let her in our bedroom at night. I'm a light sleeper, at best, and every time she walks over me, I wake up. And if I have a hand outside the cover, it is actively head-butted and solicited for some petting, which definitely wakes me up. And when I wake up, Corey wakes, although the cat's activities don't wake him at all. NOT a good night's sleep for any of us, in the end.

But, on the good side, she did come out of the storage room voluntarily last evening, if slowly and tentatively, and she and our son's cat, Mrr, didn't actively tie up during the evening. There were high-pitched kitty growls here and there, but overall, pretty peaceful. Mrr stays in our son's room and goes in and out a window all night long, so Egg had the run of the house last night. It's a start.

Also good news, because the grass slowed down enough that the mowing crews didn't have any work scheduled, Cor's off today, yay! Which means he and Johnny can head down and pick up the large furniture once they're both up and around. I'll take my little truck down too, and pack up the remaining bits and pieces that need to come this way, but will leave the heavy lifting to the guys.

Heather, only ten days for you! AND you can finally start making plans for your heavenly Hove. I know I've mentioned that I lived in England for nearly six years all told, the first three near Lakenheath, in Suffolk, and the second three years, between Reading and Newbury. The first three years, explored the east coast, Great Yarmouth and the like, and up into Yorkshire and Scotland. The second three years, London, Brighton, Dover, Cornwall and Wales. Even stayed in a B&B on the Isle of Ipswich once, and water-skied the Solent once. Well, I absorbed a LOT of seawater, and stayed up on the skis for a few moments anyway. I absolutely loved Brighton, such warm energy there. You bring back some amazing memories... perhaps someday I can bring my second and final husband back with me. I left for the last time in 1992, more than 26 years ago now.

And, lastly, because this is, after all, a health and fitness site, my weight is back down within a half-pound of my lowest this year, which makes me happy. There hasn't been much time to eat, honestly.

But, since no one respects vacation any more, swapped e-mails with the event committee last night, and because life is never simple, they want to physically sign all the letters that are going out for nominations for awardees, and that must be out by November 1. That means I need to get the letters created, then print them and put them together so they can sign, stuff and mail them, and then Fed-ex them to Midland from El Paso while I'm there next Wednesday and Thursday. Sure... no problem!

It's a weird life, but someone has to live it, I guess.

Onward and upward, swapping my second cup of coffee for a cup of tea, in Heather's honor, this morning. Try not to think about the fact that I use powdered creamer in my tea as well as my coffee. :smiley: Living in Britain taught me to put milk in tea, but I never have it around anymore, so powdered creamer it is...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR, home at last
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    edited October 2018
    Bit distracted. In the middle of my exercises I decided I wanted to put the laundry on.
    Once in the utility room I decided to add stuff to my "cleaning box" that I shall take in the car on moving day. Looking under the sink I found boxes of redundant stuff, all mixed up. Threw away leaking oven cleaner etc. My cleaner is not the tidiest, or most organised, person. She doesn't have much of a system. Of course, I don't go round checking after her all the time, so it had got out of hand. So then I cleared out the broom cupboard and found the iron DH brought with him when we married. I'm sure it's better than my old one, which has lost its steam function, so that's a bonus. Plus a whole packet of floor cloths. :D Progress!
    Now to get on with my weights!!!!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

PS Lisa - just read your post. <3 Exciting times for you and me. I used to live in Horsham, West Sussex, as a teenager. Brighton is just in East Sussex, which is, of course, a rival! But I do feel very at home there. The wonderful Sussex Downs (a National Park) was part of the landscape of my young life. Brighton was the place you went to have a good time! Hove used to consider itself much more sedate, but I think now it does have quite a young vibe. Lots of families. The city is called Brighton and Hove. People who live there do seem to love it. My son and his wife certainly do.
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited October 2018
    735teatnk1n5.png

The relationship between Brighton and Hove. The South Downs is just behind the city.
    My grandparents moved to Saltdean for a while after they retired, so we visited often. :D
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2018
    Heather
    735teatnk1n5.png

The relationship between Brighton and Hove. The South Downs is just behind the city.
    My grandparents moved to Saltdean for a while after they retired, so we visited often. :D
    All Roads Lead to Brighton! B)

++++++++

Lisa Once upon a time we had 4 kitties. They were our heartbeats. BUT they disrupted our sleep. So we had to put a scat mat at the door to the bedroom. At first I was heartbroken over our decision. Then I got a couple of nights of really restful sleep and decided the kitties were OK all curled up together in a giant pile elsewhere in the house.
    ++++++++

Karen in Virginia
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    :)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Happy Saturday! DH and I will exercise together and try to get some yard work if the weather agrees. Also on the to do list, meal prep and cleaning, I live such an exciting life!!! <3<3

NYKAREN
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,334 Member
    Did the Rebounder with David DVD. It’s actually 3 Caribbean Workouts together. The plan for tomorrow is to do a 10MS Carb Burner DVD.

Lenora – I’m so sorry to hear that you’re dizzy. Please take care of yourself and no more falls!!! No water – I take it you’re not on a septic. We bought a generator when we were in PA because there was one time when we were 3 days without electricity. We moved it down here and in the almost-11 years we’ve been here we haven’t had to use it once (thank goodness).

Kim – when I get bananas on sale for 22 cents, I buy them, peel them, then they can be frozen. They can be frozen in the peel, but it’s just that much more that has to thaw. Then you can have banana bread etc. whenever you want it

Allie – my doctor’s patient portal now has your picture on it. I DO NOT like the way I look. When they took the picture, I had no idea they were planning to do it, much less putting it on the patient portal

Lisa – how very exciting you spent you first night in the new house. Feels wonderful, eh?

Rye – prayers for a safe drive for your husband

Saturday here: did a 10 Minute Solution Carb Burner DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do the BeFit Yoga Fix. For some reason, I’m thinking that I did that one recently. Oh well…

Went to go see “7 Angry Jurors” last night. It’s held in the courthouse. I think that makes it a much more powerful show. Quite good.

Allie – when we used to drive to FL from PA, Statesville was almost ½ way so we usually spent the night there. Now we can do the drive in one long day. The cats aren’t thrilled about it, but once they get there they love it.

M – I can’t begin to express to you how impressed I am with how you’ve come out stronger since your husband’s accident. And I’m really impressed at all the great strides he’s made in such a short amount of time.

I had to go out but Jess told Vince that she’s looking to transfer to the US, in TN or VA. Evidently, NC doesn’t take transfers. In a way, I hope she doesn’t. I would just be afraid that she’d have distractions. I’m sure Colby would be a distraction. I know her friend, Penn, lives in TN. Not sure if it’s near the college or not. Well, I don’t know what part of VA (I’m thinking VA Tech). I guess I really want to see her succeed. On the other hand, she is much more motivated to do well since she’s paying. Even if Colby were a distraction, she might very well not engage in the distraction. I guess I can’t help wanting the best.

Lisa – Yea for you!!!!! Being in the home and I’m not surprised you’ve lost weight with all the work you’ve been doing

Better post this before I forget (again!)

Michele in NC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Michele How was that movie?
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,728 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka - Great news about your husband. I started on this post shortly after he was injured it looked so dire at the time.

Yes, in the early days, the doctors thought he would end up in a full-care nursing home. They didn't quite tell me that at the time, but did tell me that later. He was in Post Traumatic Amnesia so long, his brain injury was classified as "extremely severe".

I had even started looking for full-care nursing homes for him and a small apartment in the city for me.

But he has amazed everyone.

There were a lot of people praying for him from all over the world ... and here too.

He also had health and fitness in his favour.

Also I'm not sure if it helped or not, but I kind of pushed the limits with him from time to time. For example, they told me to play him only really quiet instrumental or classical music. I did play some of that, but also played some of his favourites from the 70s. :grin: And he wasn't to watch TV when he was coming out of PTA, but I put it on for a little while each day anyway. I watched him and if it seemed to bother him, I'd turn it off, but there were times when he seemed interested and other times when he would laugh at things in the shows.

And I had him out walking up to about 2 km (with breaks, of course) when one of the OTs told me I could start taking him for 300-500 metre walks.

So ... it's good. Much better than anticipated.

He's still got to go for a neuropsychological assessment to be cleared for driving and managing finances etc. And he's got to see a neurosurgeon about his back - he had injured a couple discs. And he still struggles with fatigue and a few other things. But we'll get there ... one step at a time.

Machka in Oz

It’s amazing how far he has come! I bet pushing a little did help a lot.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,334 Member
    Karen – it was a play at our local theater. I think having it in the courthouse really made it that much more powerful. The actors were really good. Thanks for asking. I ushered for it last week but this time we sat further in the front which gives you a different perspective.

Michele in NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    Went on my run with DH walking beside me. We meant to go on his birthday, but it rained all day. Today was perfect autumn weather. B) I love our lanes - one thing I will miss a lot.
    When we came back we tackled the flower pots. Emptied out a few and decided which ones we were taking with us. Planted one of the small shrubs in the garden. Then I sprayed a bit of weedkiller on the patio.
    Told one lot of neighbours we were going at last.
    DH washed the plastic boxes with the cleaning stuff in them. <3

Getting there slowly.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Rye- you are a fantastic artist! What a beautiful kittie!

<3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited October 2018
    Rye
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Rye- you are a fantastic artist! What a beautiful kittie!

<3

Rye
    - absolutely! You are SO talented! What a great idea sending it to your sis ;-)

Ladies, regarding Wendy - I started a search for her yesterday. For some reason - maybe she mentioned at one time - I thought she was on the north big Island of New Zealand, MAYBE. I think she was from the SW side around Wanganui - and I could be wrong! Know she and her DH had a travel biz they sold. Is his name John? And she hauls her horses to the beach. And has hives of bees producing Manuka honey. I'm considering sending inquiries to agencies with contacts down in that region - but I don't want them, or her, to think we are stalking. LOL. Hopefully she'll respond in a few days if she knows she's on our wavelength.

I wanted to comment that I found she signed up with us in September of last year.... it was interesting reading our posts from a year ago and seeing what all we were up to. <3B)

Also, I picked up a couple little pizzas at the grocery store today with "alternative" crusts. One brand is called "Realgood Pizza- Three Cheese" with 4 gms of carbs, 25 gms of protein per serving-it's a small personal size pie, 1/2 is a serving. The crust is made with chicken breast and parmesan cheese which should be interesting. They are spendy but Safeway had buy one, get one free so I hope it's edible.

The other one is called "Cauliflower Pizza-Your Favorite Vegetable" I picked up at Wally World. 37 gm carbs, 12 gm protein, 3 gm fiber per serving which is 1/2 pizza - and it's what I would call a medium size store pizza.

I know several of you have made cauliflower crusts, so I'm anxious to see what they are like before I try it myself. I normally have a huge salad for dinner and was running out of ideas what protein to have with it. I'm getting filled up on chicken breast and canned salmon.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Lsnette - I seem to remember or think I remember that Wendy said that she would be gone for a while??

<3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Read everyones post, cheers for Heather, Lisa on the moving and hugs for everyone else.

Karen - tears in my eyes, saying good bye to our furry pals is so so hard. <3