Thanksgiving splurge?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Pretty much my entire family went vegan this year, and my in laws only eat lasagna for thanksgiving (no they aren’t Italian, they’re Jewish) so I don’t know what I’ll end up doing. My husband isn’t big into thanksgiving because of the lasagna thing. I’m thinking maybe some slow cooker turkey thighs and some sides? And that pie, definitely that pie. Is making a full turkey worth it? I’ve never made one before:..

A full turkey is only slightly more adventurous than one of those large "oven stuffer roaster" chickens. You can get turkeys as small as 10 pounds. Might be a good way to start.

I start a turkey upside down and flip it half way through the cooking time, and use a digital meat thermometer rather than relying on the popup ones.

To make flipping easier I use silicone oven mitts:

https://smile.amazon.com/Extra-Long-Professional-Silicone-Oven/dp/B00WUDQ61W/

81SaWuHNJrL._SX425_.jpg
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Pretty much my entire family went vegan this year, and my in laws only eat lasagna for thanksgiving (no they aren’t Italian, they’re Jewish) so I don’t know what I’ll end up doing. My husband isn’t big into thanksgiving because of the lasagna thing. I’m thinking maybe some slow cooker turkey thighs and some sides? And that pie, definitely that pie. Is making a full turkey worth it? I’ve never made one before:..

Speaking of turkey thighs, my favorite way to cook them is using these spices:

http://blackgirlchefswhites.com/succulent-spiced-turkey-carnitas-recipe/

with these cooking instructions:

https://www.marthastewart.com/313681/apple-braised-turkey-thighs

and I think just one 12 oz bottle of hard cider instead of any of the other liquid mentioned, but maybe some chicken stock as well. I don't want the liquid to cover the skin.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! I am the cook/baker and shopper. Looking forward to the roasted turkey, stuffing, gravy, homemade Parker House rolls, and pumpkin pie with REAL whipped cream. I could live without the other family favorites, but, I won’t. 😊 It’s a day for family, friends and food and I intend to have at least a taste of everything.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    No no no! Homemade rolls! I have to dust off my Kitchen-aid mixer a couple of times a year or I feel sorry for it...

qw1c1j5ih00t.jpg

Recipe please. I am always in charge of the dinner rolls but have yet to find a recipe that is "just right". My Kitchenaid gets dusted off a few times per year too, mostly around Christmas but always at Thanksgiving and occasionally Easter if we have a family dinner.

I have found that bread recipes on kingarthurflour.com are fool proof. I have made their Hawaiian bread and loved it.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    No no no! Homemade rolls! I have to dust off my Kitchen-aid mixer a couple of times a year or I feel sorry for it...

qw1c1j5ih00t.jpg

Recipe please. I am always in charge of the dinner rolls but have yet to find a recipe that is "just right". My Kitchenaid gets dusted off a few times per year too, mostly around Christmas but always at Thanksgiving and occasionally Easter if we have a family dinner.

I have found that bread recipes on kingarthurflour.com are fool proof. I have made their Hawaiian bread and loved it.

Bobby Flay's parker house rolls also turn out really well. Sadly, I don't think my husband's family typically has rolls at holiday meals :'(
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

qw1c1j5ih00t.jpg

Bobby Flay's parker house rolls also turn out really well. Sadly, I don't think my husband's family typically has rolls at holiday meals :'(

Can you even call it a holiday meal if there are no rolls?!?!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »

qw1c1j5ih00t.jpg

Time to start a new tradition!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »

qw1c1j5ih00t.jpg

https://youtu.be/QRSkCIx_-Qo
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Those rolls look great! I have made some that are similar looking, but are made with pumpkin. The bad part, one roll is half my day. qy9uslejdgzb.jpg

qw1c1j5ih00t.jpg
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I'm eating everything!! Really looking forward to my mother-in-law's dressing and making myself a giant sweet potato casserole with lots of marshmallows. Also looking forward to some fresh baked bread and just... all the carbs! GIVE ME ALL THE CARBS!!!!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

Lasagna??? That's just sad :( I'm sorry for your husband lol. You could always cook an entire turkey and then freeze most of it for other meals like turkey pot pie or whatever you like. Or just do Ham. I actually prefer ham over turkey at thanksgiving, my family serves both.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

Lasagna??? That's just sad :( I'm sorry for your husband lol. You could always cook an entire turkey and then freeze most of it for other meals like turkey pot pie or whatever you like. Or just do Ham. I actually prefer ham over turkey at thanksgiving, my family serves both.

Haha yea... I love lasagna but it’s still not right. I love ham too, but our oven is TINY! I’m not sure it will even fit a turkey... most pans don’t fit in it and it’s so old if it’s not on the top wrack it doesn’t get cooked. I do love to cook though so I haven’t ruled anything out... but worried I might make a horrible small dry turkey lol. I picked up some nice looking turkey thighs today so at the very least I’ve got them for a back up, going to cook em low n slow in the crock pot. If all fails we’re going to Cracker Barrel 😃!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

Once in a while it was just my Mom and me for Thanksgiving. Instead of dealing with a turkey, I would roast up a couple of Cornish hens and we would have the traditional sides. Worked perfectly with minimal fuss.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    For anyone wondering what to do with leftover mashed potatoes: potato patties. Add some minced onion and eggs, shape into patties, and fry in butter. Absolutely the best day after Thanksgiving dish with the exception of turkey sandwiches on leftover home made dinner rolls.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    We always have pumpkin, apple, and pecan pie for Thanksgiving, but maybe I'll start adding Melissa Clark's Sticky Cranberry Gingerbread to the rotation. Made it last night, yum! Looked at the reviews and reduced the sugar in the cranberry sauce to 1/2 cup, used a full bag of cranberries. I don't have a 9x9 pan so used an 8x8 and made two muffins. The muffins took 20 minutes and the pan 30. (Many reviewers said 50 minutes was way too long for the 9x9.)

I find JOC style directions format easier to follow so redid the recipe that way and am attaching it in case anyone else prefers that as well.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017758-sticky-cranberry-gingerbread

27COOKING-CRANGINGERBREAD1-articleLarge.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I also LOVE good stuffing! But it seems to get messed up every year... :'( I don't even know what I'm doing wrong.

y977rlgbw6n6.jpg

I mess up stuffing alot too! Last year I did a crockpot stuffing. Turned out pretty good as it was very easy to adjust the liquid as time went on.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I make a pretty mean jalapeno-cranberry sauce.

That sounds amazing! Do you mind sharing your recipe?
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I love all the food but really love dessert. Pumpkin cheesecake, apple pie, and pecan pie... Yum.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Stuffing, green bean casserole, and creamed onions!!!