Thanksgiving splurge?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    We always have pumpkin, apple, and pecan pie for Thanksgiving, but maybe I'll start adding Melissa Clark's Sticky Cranberry Gingerbread to the rotation. Made it last night, yum! Looked at the reviews and reduced the sugar in the cranberry sauce to 1/2 cup, used a full bag of cranberries. I don't have a 9x9 pan so used an 8x8 and made two muffins. The muffins took 20 minutes and the pan 30. (Many reviewers said 50 minutes was way too long for the 9x9.)

I find JOC style directions format easier to follow so redid the recipe that way and am attaching it in case anyone else prefers that as well.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017758-sticky-cranberry-gingerbread

27COOKING-CRANGINGERBREAD1-articleLarge.jpg

Wow this looks amazing!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Oh, and Quik, are we doing the 5000 calorie Thanksgiving Day food challenge this year?! I'm totally in if we are!

thats a challenge? lol. thats my daily intake :D ill be disappointed in myself if I don't exceed 10k on thanksgiving....
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Oh, and Quik, are we doing the 5000 calorie Thanksgiving Day food challenge this year?! I'm totally in if we are!

thats a challenge? lol. thats my daily intake :D ill be disappointed in myself if I don't exceed 10k on thanksgiving....

Well, I'm a 5'7" woman that weighs 145 lbs. so, yeah, that's a challenge for me!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of scaling back Thanksgiving this year; I really want to spend it with just my son and, maybe, his grandfather. I'm going to do roast sweet potato coins topped with celery-pecan salad as an appetizer, an anchovy-rubbed turkey, sundried tomato-stuffed mushrooms, parsley leaf potatoes, a pickled cabbage salad, stuffing (StoveTop all the way), and some kind of simple crumble for dessert. I'll also have stuffed bacon-wrapped jalapenos if my FIL celebrates with us, because he loves them, and I'll buy a pumpkin pie. It still sounds like A LOT but this is actually a biiiig step down from what I usually do, and most of the recipes are simple and easy.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    I'm thinking of scaling back Thanksgiving this year; I really want to spend it with just my son and, maybe, his grandfather. I'm going to do roast sweet potato coins topped with celery-pecan salad as an appetizer, an anchovy-rubbed turkey, sundried tomato-stuffed mushrooms, parsley leaf potatoes, a pickled cabbage salad, stuffing (StoveTop all the way), and some kind of simple crumble for dessert. I'll also have stuffed bacon-wrapped jalapenos if my FIL celebrates with us, because he loves them, and I'll buy a pumpkin pie. It still sounds like A LOT but this is actually a biiiig step down from what I usually do, and most of the recipes are simple and easy.

What would ever posses someone to rub a turkey with anchovies? Those are both things I would eat; I just don't get why you would rub the turkey with anchovies and what that would do. I prefer thigh meat with no skin, so it probably wouldn't matter much to me what the turkey was rubbed with.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

What would ever posses someone to rub a turkey with anchovies? Those are both things I would eat; I just don't get why you would rub the turkey with anchovies and what that would do. I prefer thigh meat with no skin, so it probably wouldn't matter much to me what the turkey was rubbed with.

I am guessing it is to flavor with both fish and salt in one rub.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Just make small portions of things. My dad doesn't usually have a big celebration so he'll make small dishes to feed 4.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hah! I know it sounds weird. I'm doing a riff on this recipe -- not exactly the same in its details, but the same basic process -- and I expect it'll turn out delicious. (Poultry rubs go under the skin, by the way, as flavoring only the easily removable skin is kind of pointless.) Thanksgiving is my day each year to really play with new and/or involved recipes. :)
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    My dad's loaded mashed potatoes. I do not want to know the amount of butter, cheese, and bacon that goes into those. But if I had to pick one item to nosh on that would be it.

Otherwise one day of spending time with family and stuffing myself silly is what I look forward to the most. The turkey and gravy, the green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole... *Drool*. You stuffing lovers can keep your soggy bread though. I try stuffing or dressing every year, and confirm year after year that I am not a fan.

Oh then one sliver of each pie available (Probably old fashioned southern pecan, and pumpkin, and razzle berry) each with a giant dollop of whipped cream. And a cup of black coffee to wash it down. Oh and being thankful or something because Thanksgiving is totally not about Gluttony...(Spending time with my family is really more important though) Then it's back to moderation the next day... and Leftovers! *More drool*
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options

It's something I've never thought of before. But maybe it adds a umami flavor to the turkey? Much like adding fish sauce or Worcestershire sauce to a recipe. The fish flavor never comes through, but it might add a savory note that butter wouldn't add? I'm, not going to run out an buy anchovies for my turkey, but I would try it if someone else prepared it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options

Well, last Thanksgiving Christopher Kimball, founder of America's Test Kitchen, was complaining about having to come up with a new recipe for turkey every year, so...

A few years back the ATK podcast shared the tip of adding a little soy sauce to gravy to add some umami. My mom's been doing that for forever.

Actually, my favorite pasta e fagioli recipe calls for a few anchovies. In such small amounts, adding anchovies kicks it up a notch without anchovy flavor.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I still like the classic roast turkey with sage and onion stuffing. My Mom made it the same every year and it was always wonderful. I inherited the family roasting pan so some day I will do one in her honor. I do make the stuffing the same way she always did for things like veal birds. Fresh bakery bread allowed to get a tiny bit stale then shredded by hand, minced onion, eggs, butter, sage, salt, and pepper.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Well, last Thanksgiving Christopher Kimball, founder of America's Test Kitchen, was complaining about having to come up with a new recipe for turkey every year, so...

A few years back the ATK podcast shared the tip of adding a little soy sauce to gravy to add some umami. My mom's been doing that for forever.

Actually, my favorite pasta e fagioli recipe calls for a few anchovies. In such small amounts, adding anchovies kicks it up a notch without anchovy flavor.

Yeah, the soy in gravy is an old one that got me thinking - another old one I have run into and I think tastes good is a little Worcestershire sauce in the gravy and the one of the primary ingredients in it is anchovies, so I guess I should retract my question. I have spooned gravy made with a little Worcestershire sauce over turkey before, which means I have subtly flavored turkey with anchovies before and enjoyed it.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,423 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I still like the classic roast turkey with sage and onion stuffing. My Mom made it the same every year and it was always wonderful. I inherited the family roasting pan so some day I will do one in her honor. I do make the stuffing the same way she always did for things like veal birds. Fresh bakery bread allowed to get a tiny bit stale then shredded by hand, minced onion, eggs, butter, sage, salt, and pepper.

This is our stuffing! Not that mushy, gloopy "dressing" but the above (minus eggs). Makes a delightful stuffing and it holds up to gravy, I like to cook it so the edges and bottom are just a little crisp.

Reheated (if there are leftovers) in the oven until an almost crouton texture develops, is the the best thing I have ever added to tomato soup.