November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Race Report, Big River Crossing Half Marathon, Nov 3
    I would like to watch out for this next year. I would certainly be interested in meeting up with you and run this half!

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls Thanks for sharing your story. Congratulations on such a wonderful accomplishment! It makes your running volume even more impressive, if possible!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    I would like to watch out for this next year. I would certainly be interested in meeting up with you and run this half!

This sounds like an excellent half for sure: I'm going to put it on my wishlist too! Great job, @rheddmobile!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    I had a slight hiccup in my training today. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital. I have a kidney stone and infection. I’ll be taking a few days off.

ACK!!!! Hope it passes fast!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    If our team captain had been there and run a typical race, we would have won the team title. Oh, well. The team award is beer, I don't do alcohol, and our missing team captain is probably our biggest connoiseur of craft beer anyway.

Sounds like you really won then. :D I would much rather have the peanut butter cups than the beer any day! Great race!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Butterchop wrote: »
    5.8 miles today. It was my first really crappy run. The first one that didn't make me feel better. I actually felt terrible at the end. It was cool and super windy. My clothes were too hot and I developed some odd ankle pain about half way. Also had to walk a bit which just ruined my mentality. I finished it but just didn't enjoy it.

These will come. Just know that they come and pass. All runners face them, so it is not you, it is just life. Good on you for pushing through and finishing. Pushing through runs like this build the mental toughness that this sport requires.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    11/1 - 0 km
    11/2 - 12 miles
    11/3 - 0 km
    11/4 - 13.1 miles

Upcoming Races:

Harvest 10 Miler - November 2018

Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

--More as I find them - need to find a nice trail race

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Congratulations on finishing your first HM!!!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

My husband and I survived our first half marathon!
    Some things I learned from this race: 1) my calves were so crampy until I started eating that I feel pretty sure I needed electrolytes. I ran my training runs on Nuun, then didn't carry my water bottle during the race because I figured I could get water at the stops. They had Gatorade and water, but I can't handle Gatorade with my blood sugar. So just plain water wasn't enough to cut it for me. I know the rule - never test anything new at a race - but ignored it. I also think I needed to drink more, but I didn't want to have to pee during the race. 2) My fueling worked out well. I had my usual big breakfast followed by an orange, plus five Clif Bloks during the run. 3) It's probably better to take a break before you feel like crying, not after. I never really recovered, and I think if I had walked earlier I could have avoided some of my hip pain.

Great report! I would not give up on the half-distance just yet. I mean you did great despite not being ready for it. Think how different it would have been had you been ready, and drank/fueled better? If you use Cliff Bloks they are 3 per hour. Should have eaten 3 in the starting area, three more by end of the first hour, and 3 more by end of the second hour. So that is 9 almost double what you ate. That might have helped with your electrolyte issue. Something to experiment with as fueling is a very personal thing.
    Your calculations are right, but I ate an orange in the starting area, which has about the same carbs as 3 Clif Blocks. So an orange for the first hour, three for the second, and two for the 36 minutes, works out just about perfectly.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    4.2M treadmill. Was not going very fast and still had to pause for low BG. Ugh... can there be a cure for T1D yet?!

exercise.png
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »

I would love to meet you! It was a beautifully organized race in a lovely setting, at usually the best running time of the year in this area.
  • fgsn
    fgsn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    11/1: 1.5 miles
    11/2: rest
    11/3: rest
    11/4: 2 miles
    Total: 3.5/34 miles
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Oh yes, and a pinch and a punch!
    @ContraryMaryMary So is that NZ for Physio, massage ?? or a special refreshing beverage ??.

Ha. No. It's what we say on the morning of the first of the month: "A pinch and a punch for the first of the month, and no returns." Although, the cheeky return is, "A pinch and a kick for being so quick."