Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I recently started to count calories again after a friend passed, because it’s a sort of meditation for me. Or it just keeps my thoughts occupied, so I don’t get wrapped up in any self destructive thoughts.
    However, before when I was doing the whole “recovery” thing from my ED, I was told to focus on volume and not calories. It was really hard for me, but it helped my relationship with food. I also earned back my hunger signals after abusing them for so long. I’m weight restored, but still struggling with relapsing back into old habits.
    For those who want to quit counting calories and lose weight (or gain weight), listening to your body and going by volume is the best you can do for yourself. Quality and quantity are both important.

Op.... I can agree with what you are saying if you are recovering from ED, but some of us are INTENTIONALLY weight reduced. Some of us have completely wacked out hunger and satiety issues. If some of us listened to our bodies, we would rebound quite quickly. You are just a different animal than we are. Without knowing your specific ED, I will not comment on how you live. I hope you the best with your path.

Very true. @Utravegathlete, i can see how counting calories might be triggering for someone with ED history, how one can get too obsessive about it and fall back into old habits. But it's not the case for most of us here, i believe.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I feel like I probably shouldn’t even had said anything.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I feel like I probably shouldn’t even had said anything.

No, not at all.... we all have our own ways!😊
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    What are everyone’s favourite ways to add volume to oatmeal? (Besides Zucchini or something). So far I’ve used fruits, chia seeds, cottage cheese & Greek yogurt but always looking for more ways 😊
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    admaarie wrote: »
    What are everyone’s favourite ways to add volume to oatmeal? (Besides Zucchini or something). So far I’ve used fruits, chia seeds, cottage cheese & Greek yogurt but always looking for more ways 😊

Have u tried pumpkin? Cauliflower

Edit: also wheat bran
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    moogie_fit wrote: »

Have u tried pumpkin? Cauliflower

Edit: also wheat bran

Pumpkin purée? I haven’t tried wheat bran either. I will!
  • brittany_sander
    brittany_sander Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If anyone that has an open diary would like to add me that would be great! I’d love to see some of your meal ideas. Thanks!
  • Ingekp1
    Ingekp1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Can you be my friend? I have an open diary. 😊
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options

Egg whites!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Greek yogurt and fruit for me. I usually use steel cut oats for my oatmeal, make it the night before and it becomes a pretty decent size bowl ready for breakfast. Now that i bought an instant pot (oh wow, what took me so long, absolutely love it!), it's even better and easier to make. I double it for two servings and eat the second one couple of days later.
  • hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    hcdo wrote: »
    Has anyone tried making protein fluff with plant-based protein powders? Does it work?

I think it works better actually. Dependent upon the protein but mine makes it thicker than whey/ casein!

Wow really?! Thanks for letting us know because I've always heard people saying it wouldn't work because non-whey won't "fluff" well, but never seen someone try. If you try it @hcdo please share how it turns out and I will do the same!

Fluffing is done by introduction of Xantham gum. This is what adds the volume.

Okay, so I use...

- 1 serving powder
    - 0.5cup silk cashew vanilla
    - 0.25cup walden farms pancake syrup
    - 0.5tsp xantham gum

First with a tray of ice I blend until like snow and then add all of the add ins and blend? How long do I blend for to get it to whip? How long do you guys usually blend each step for? Is there a post with a detailed recipe in this thread somewhere? I am afraid to try and fail, lol. Is it better to use a food processor or vitamix blender or hand mixer?

Sorry to ask you guys to repeat your recipes if you posted, but you guys have it perfected so I want to follow it exactly.

I use the same exact ingredients.
    I use food processor (Kitchenaid)
    Dumb tray of ice cubes in and pulse few times to break them down.
    Scrape the sides and let her rip until I dont hear any more large chunks in there. (its ok if its not snow)
    Scrape again and add milk + pancake syrup + protein powder.
    Let it go until its all very well blended (no large chunks remain).
    Add the xantham gum and let it go again. This time let it go for as long as it takes for the volume to go double or more. It will take few minutes, but it will. For me its usually like 5 for the fluff. The whole process takes like 10 minutes.
    I then place the mix into the freezer while I wash the food processor for couple minutes.

What are you afraid of? These takes ppl place less thought into making babies lol you are just crushing ice :)

Okay, I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I used these exact same ingredients/measurements (except with almond rather than cashew milk), and mine just ended up kind of soupy. I used a food processor, blended the ice til it was shaved ice consistency, and added the other ingredients. The volume never increased that much, and I blended for close to 15 minutes.

ac6h54ks19ki.jpg
  • VirginiasMom
    VirginiasMom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @hcdo I wonder if you blended too much? I usually only have to blend for a total of 5 minutes (1 minute to shave the ice, 2-3 minutes to blend in milk, protein powder, vanilla & sweetener, then 1 more minute to blend in the Xanthum gum).

If it's helpful, I use a small ninja and Quest protein powder.
  • hcdo
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @hcdo I wonder if you blended too much? I usually only have to blend for a total of 5 minutes (1 minute to shave the ice, 2-3 minutes to blend in milk, protein powder, vanilla & sweetener, then 1 more minute to blend in the Xanthum gum).

Good to know, thanks! Mine never got very fluffy, even after just a few minutes, but maybe it's just a trial and error process that I have to play around with.
  • hcdo
    Options
    hcdo wrote: »

Good to know, thanks! Mine never got very fluffy, even after just a few minutes, but maybe it's just a trial and error process that I have to play around with.

What do you make yours in??

A food processor, looks really similar to the one in the pics that has the fluff blowing the top off with its crazy volume.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    What kind of PP did you use? Was it whey or whey/casein blend? Plant based powders really don’t work well. And does your milk have fat (or did you add anything with fat, like peanut butter, nuts, etc)? Any fat will make it not fluff.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @crazyravr it’s just a regular old food processor, maybe 6 cup-ish. And for the record, I don’t use any xanthan. Just ice, unsweet almond milk, Splenda drops and quest pp.
  • hcdo
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    What kind of PP did you use? Was it whey or whey/casein blend? Plant based powders really don’t work well. And does your milk have fat (or did you add anything with fat, like peanut butter, nuts, etc)? Any fat will make it not fluff.

I used plant-based PP, and while I didn't add any peanut butter, the PP is chocolate peanut butter flavored. I'll have to check the ingredients. The almond milk has 2.5g of fat. Don't know if that would make a difference.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Someone said a few pages back that certain milks didn't work
  • Sallyw2004
    Sallyw2004 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

nowine4me wrote: »
    @crazyravr it’s just a regular old food processor, maybe 6 cup-ish. And for the record, I don’t use any xanthan. Just ice, unsweet almond milk, Splenda drops and quest pp.

Thats crazy volume without the gum. I will never get the fluff without gum. I will only get soft serve and only as much as ice I put in.

I always get a super fluffy blender pitcher filled to the top of my ninja. Quest gives the biggest volume the fastest for me. With some other protein powders I use a little xanthan gum. I put the liquid ingredients (cashew milk and Walden farms pancake syrup) in first, then the powder, then toss a full tray of ice cubes on top. I hit the 60 second smoothie button 3 or 4 times and it always comes out great.
  • hcdo
    Options
    Someone said a few pages back that certain milks didn't work

Good to know, thanks! It seems like people have a lot of success with cashew milk, maybe I'll try that next.