• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq YAY!!!!! PARTY OVERTIME!

And frankly, the same to @ddmom0811!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I’m considering not running with headphones when there might be ice - even with the shoes, it really does take a lot of concentration and I think not having music would help me focus and remember to slow down on turns and such. I've also really been feeling the effect of not strength training for several weeks, but I honestly don't think I'll be able to rebuild that practice until after we move (see below!) so I'm just trying to accept that.

Quoted and highlighted for emphasis. I've only slipped and fell on the ice twice during a run and both times were because I didn't slow down on a turn.

BTW @MegaMooseEsq , I love seeing the ESTRS races on your list! Congrats on the house! Exciting stuff!

@Avidkeo and @RunRachelleRun I'll try to remember to post the photos tonight.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    06/11 3.15 miles
    07/11 3.13 miles
    08/11 3.20 miles

exercise.png

@ddmom0811 - Congratulations on the birth your granddaughter. New borns are so special!!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I got to run 3.7 miles. I believe it was my first run below freezing (maybe not counting a couple of runs last winter) and my first run in my new Peregrines. I’d originally left the house in my Ghosts because it looked like the snow was melted on the sidewalks, but then I turned the corner and saw the fallen leaves coated in ice and changed my mind.

Like the Ghosts, the Peregrines felt really lightweight and comfortable, just a lot grippier.

I’m considering not running with headphones when there might be ice -

I think crew or knee socks will be my best bet, but ug so spendy, and I need to watch the cash flow because…

@MegaMooseEsq Congrats on the House.
    I live wayyyyy north of everybody in this fine group and just switched over to my Peregrine 8's ( not the ice version ) for the winter. The traction on the snow/ice is fantastic so the 8-ice will be even better.
    Headphones : never in winter - with the extra clothing/headgear I want to hear the world around me - ATV's racing down a trail, snowmobiles, offroad 4x4, etc. Also want to hear the sound of my foot touching down in the snow - crunchy :) No sound :|:/:o>:) = potential ice = danger

For winter crew - knee running socks consider Darn Tough or Smart Wool. I actually buy most of my winter kit at the local ski-snowboard shop since keeping people warm and comfortable s their specialty.

I have only been knocked down by ice twice, on the same run less than 1km into a 20k planned day.
    About 200m apart at road/trail intersections where the vehicles had polished the road to a beautiful hard white ice. The trails were fine it was the transition from trail to crosswalk - Called it a day - walked back to the coffee shop and pre-paid for the group.

On the topic of office views - since I am in the tech department our office is located in the center of the building to protect from " exterior damage " ( ie car accidentally driving through a wall, vandalism, fire etc ) putting the building out of commission. Zero windows, Entry doors offset by 20 feet around a corner, double layer of cinder block walls - exterior ones filled with concrete - interior with sand. Should have seen the fun electricians had trying to get new conduit and cables through the walls.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq so when's the housewarming party? We'll assume if you will be the proud owner of FOUR bathrooms you'll also have enough spare bedrooms for about a million virtual runner friends, right?
    Re weights: you say you can't strength train, then you say you need to move the weights. Sounds like the perfect (if kind of time consuming) excuse to pick up and carry a lot of weights to me ;-) Sorry, no helpful suggestions here.

Yes, we will definitely have lots of room for guests, virtual and otherwise! I hadn't thought about how moving weights does in fact require lifting - that made me laugh. Mostly it's about packing, though, as my husband has vetoed even a partial self-move. I don't blame him, though my budget-oriented brain cringes a little at the expense. As he pointed out, however, him not taking time off of work will go pretty far to recouping the extra cost.

@ddmom0811: Congratulations!
  • joannedrummond5
    joannedrummond5 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    November 1 - 11 km run
    November 2 - 18 km run
    November 3 - 14 km run
    November 5 - 5 km club run
    November 7 - 21 km run
    November 8 - 22 km run
    November 9 - 14 km run

Total distance 105 km - goal 300 km

• PastorVincent
    Options

7lenny7 wrote: »
    Something to share with your non-running friends or family members

http://www.therightfits.com/2017/05/talk-runners-advice-non-runner/

HA! Now we know why @MobyCarp is a pacer! :lol:

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    11/1/18 5 miles
    11/3 3 miles
    11/6 3 miles
    11/7 2 miles

Total 13 /60-90 miles

The dreaded taper! 2 miles? Who runs just 2 miles? And soooooo slow!

Me today, but not so slow.

@ddmom0811 Congrats on the new granddaughter, lovey name!

@MegaMooseEsq YAY on the new house, 4 bathrooms and a demand water heater?(just a little jealous)

@7lenny7 Pics please, no squeamishness here.

exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    My right knee was hurting going up stairs a couple of times today.
    That's not supposed to happen, I've got a HM on Sunday!
    @Orphia I believe that's called Taper Twinge's we are so in tune/nervous that every little thing gets amplified. Hang in there.

@juliet3455 and @Scott6255 Thanks, I hope so! Hard to tell! It feels worse today when walking, but the race is also getting closer!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    We’re closing on the house next Wednesday!!!!!!! Soon I will be a first-time homeowner with not one but FOUR bathrooms (three showers!), a walk-in closet completely dedicated to exercise gear, and still only two blocks away from dedicated trails. Unrelated to running, the house also has a four-season heated sun-porch, air conditioning, original hardwood from the early 1900s, an on-demand water heater (no more worrying about using the faucet when one of us is in the shower!), and, as previously mentioned, more than one bathroom. I’ve never lived anywhere with more than one bathroom (other than dorms) so I’m very excited about that part.

Oh my green-faced envy!!! :smiley:
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Yesterday I got to run 3.7 miles. I believe it was my first run below freezing (maybe not counting a couple of runs last winter) and my first run in my new Peregrines. I’d originally left the house in my Ghosts because it looked like the snow was melted on the sidewalks, but then I turned the corner and saw the fallen leaves coated in ice and changed my mind.

Like the Ghosts, the Peregrines felt really lightweight and comfortable, just a lot grippier.

I think crew or knee socks will be my best bet, but ug so spendy, and I need to watch the cash flow because…

I live wayyyyy north of everybody in this fine group and just switched over to my Peregrine 8's ( not the ice version ) for the winter. The traction on the snow/ice is fantastic so the 8-ice will be even better.
    Headphones : never in winter - with the extra clothing/headgear I want to hear the world around me - ATV's racing down a trail, snowmobiles, offroad 4x4, etc. Also want to hear the sound of my foot touching down in the snow - crunchy :) No sound :|:/:o>:) = potential ice = danger

For winter crew - knee running socks consider Darn Tough or Smart Wool. I actually buy most of my winter kit at the local ski-snowboard shop since keeping people warm and comfortable s their specialty.

I have only been knocked down by ice twice, on the same run less than 1km into a 20k planned day.
    About 200m apart at road/trail intersections where the vehicles had polished the road to a beautiful hard white ice. The trails were fine it was the transition from trail to crosswalk - Called it a day - walked back to the coffee shop and pre-paid for the group.

On the topic of office views - since I am in the tech department our office is located in the center of the building to protect from " exterior damage " ( ie car accidentally driving through a wall, vandalism, fire etc ) putting the building out of commission. Zero windows, Entry doors offset by 20 feet around a corner, double layer of cinder block walls - exterior ones filled with concrete - interior with sand. Should have seen the fun electricians had trying to get new conduit and cables through the walls.

Thank you - I'm very excited. Exhausted, but excited. That is a really good point about being able to hear your footsteps. I don't have to worry about motor vehicles where I run, but between focus and footsteps, I'm happy to hang up the headphones until clearer weather.

Thanks for the suggestion on Smartwool, too - REI has PHD run light elite crew (word salad!) at 50% off, so it's looks like a little more of my cash is being put into this "cheap" hobby. :) ETA: Oh fart, the Smartwool insulated skirt is 30% off. There goes my spending money for the month!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    We’re closing on the house next Wednesday!!!!!!! Soon I will be a first-time homeowner with not one but FOUR bathrooms (three showers!), a walk-in closet completely dedicated to exercise gear, and still only two blocks away from dedicated trails. Unrelated to running, the house also has a four-season heated sun-porch, air conditioning, original hardwood from the early 1900s, an on-demand water heater (no more worrying about using the faucet when one of us is in the shower!), and, as previously mentioned, more than one bathroom. I’ve never lived anywhere with more than one bathroom (other than dorms) so I’m very excited about that part.

Oh my green-faced envy!!! :smiley:

I know, right!? The basement is partially finished as a guest suite with a 3/4 bath and walk-in closet but we have plenty of other space for a guest room so we're making it into a gym, complete with "locker room". One of the things I'm going to miss about our current house is having two closets in the master bedroom, but moving all my running stuff downstairs will definitely help clear up some space.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    11/1 - 0 km
    11/2 - 12 miles
    11/3 - 0 km
    11/4 - 13.1 km
    11/5 - 0km
    11/6 - 8.5 miles
    11/7 - 12 miles
    11/8 - 10 miles

Upcoming Races:

Harvest 10 Miler - November 2018

Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

--More as I find them - need to find a nice trail race

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    *grumble* deliberately cut my run a bit short so I could... get suck in traffic and get home even later than normal. #grrr
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Thank you - I'm very excited. Exhausted, but excited. That is a really good point about being able to hear your footsteps. I don't have to worry about motor vehicles where I run, but between focus and footsteps, I'm happy to hang up the headphones until clearer weather.

Thanks for the suggestion on Smartwool, too - REI has PHD run light elite crew (word salad!) at 50% off, so it's looks like a little more of my cash is being put into this "cheap" hobby. :) ETA: Oh fart, the Smartwool insulated skirt is 30% off. There goes my spending money for the month!

Darn Tough and Smart Wool are both great. I have a couple pair of Darn Tough I run in durring the witner, and a big fluffy pair of Smart Wool that I wear walking around cold houses in the winter. :)