For the people who work out like crazy and are not losing

Options

Replies

• blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this, I've been working out like crazy for the last month and the scale hasn't moved at all. I'm going to start eating more now so let's see what happens!
  • lennykat
    lennykat Posts: 89
    Options
    Just sayin-- I've read this post every single day since changing my eating to a cleaner version two weeks ago.

Thanks--
  • mosprott
    mosprott Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Christinamosher
    Options
    Thank you, I'm so glad you posted this. I've been struggling with being the same weight for over a year and still working out heavily and only eating 1200 calories a day. I was suffering from really bad mood swings and lethargy all the time.

I ended up reading this book about Jay Robb and got myself a thermometer to check my resting and post exercise body temp. I was 96 degrees at waking each morning!! In the last week I upped my calories to 1600-1800 and my body temp is now in the 97's. I have way more energy and I feel like my clothes are a lot looser. My workouts are much more powerful and I feel so much better. I was sad to gain 2 lbs, this week, but now that I read your article, I think I might invest in a fat measurer.

I had no idea I was starving myself. It makes so much sense how weak I was.

Thank you for reminding me I'm not crazy! LOL!
  • inhisgrace
    Options
    Awesome, Post. Thank-you.
  • inhisgrace
    Options
    Question to the writer: if one has loose skin from previous weight loss, would a fat-measurer/the clamp thing work, or no?
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    It can alter the results yes, this is part of the reason why caliper measurements are not totally accurate. It would depend entirely on the amount of loose skin of course, and the location of said loose skin. There are many places you can measure bodyfat from so usually as long as you are getting 4 decent landmarks you can get a close approximation of bodyfat. Here is the link I use to get an approximate bodyfat %. http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/BodyComp.html The main thing is to see the inches coming off and strength going up. If you are stalling in the strength department then you may need to evaluate your diet and caloric intake.
  • dolphin21
    dolphin21 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This is a awesome post!!!!!! Thank you it's so true........now I got to figure out why I'm on a plateau for a month!!!!! Can you help me out? I workout 6 days a week for bout 1hour, I do cardio, boot camp, ketle bell, some jogging and insanity. Myfitness pal says I got to stay at 1300 calories a day. Is this too low! I weigh at 132 and I want to be at 125. My height is 5'4. What am I doing wrong? Sorry if I'm venting!!!!!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Number 1 thing is to switch your way of thinking in terms of "weight loss" you need to switch that to I want to shed fat, these are 2 very different goals, shedding weight can actually meaning shedding muscle which depending on how lean you are can happen very easily if you cut cals to drastically. This means that you need to focus on biofeedback, not the scale weight. If your strength is going up then you are adding muscle despite what the scale says. I have said time and again that steady state cardio is probably the worst thing for fat loss, it has numerous problems for both men and women including promoting stress hormone release causing the body to hang onto fat. If you do cardio do HIIT, steady state is a waste of time for fat loss unless you are obese. What you want to pay attention to is:
    1) Do I feel tighter/slimmer in the mornings
    2) Are you feeding your body to refuel post workout, post weight workouts you want simple carbs not complex carbs for best results.
    3) Eat enough to allow your body to fuel the need to to grow muscle, you need cals to build muscle and to shed fat. Think about it, to fuel the body will give it reason to shed the fat, not fueling it will give it reason to hold onto the fat.
    4) How are your energy levels? Feeling sluggish? Do not go low fat, you need to eat healthy fats to shed fat, low fat diets are not good for you on any level.
    5) Carbs can be your worst enemy or your best friend depending on application. Use them towards your goal.
    6) Ditch the diet myths, real science is what you want to pay attention to, leangains.com is a good place to start. Many diet mantras and must do's have no scientific background or studies to prove them right, you need to cut the diet hokum and get to the bones of what really works and what does not.
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    that's why i set my goal to loose only 1/2 a pound per week.
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This was timely for me to read. I feel so much better overall, feel better in my clothes, have a lot of energy, etc and am just starting out - 3 lbs. down. Thanks for the advice. I'm learning to fuel my body with "good' foods and I know it will make a big difference.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    BUMP!
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks a lot. I will be sharing this with a few of my friends who could also use this advice! :)
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow. I really needed this today. This popped up out of nowhere and I see that the original post was in March of 2011. This came up at the perfect time for me. :)
  • candacedon
    candacedon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm just discouraged. For the past week, I've been recording every morsal I eat, staying within my calorie guidelines, eating healthier, exercising every day but after an initial loss of about 3 lbs, I seem to be gaining about a half a pound a day to the point that I'm just about back where I started. I don't want to give up,but I don't see the positive benefits. My job doesn't allow me to exercise more than about 30 minutes of walking per day so my only option is to further reduce the amount of food I'm eating each day. I'm 5'7" and started at 150 lbs. I'm trying to lose about 10-15 lbs but not having much success. I'm not sure what to do from here.
  • ShannanLaNae
    ShannanLaNae Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    thanks for this:flowerforyou: