The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566--thanks for that information! I can see myself being too connected with others. I didn't even know it. I am a sensitive type of caring person, but I take on too much a lot. When a person I know has a problem then I have more of a problem than I should etc....Leads to eating and used to be drinking. The eating is almost under control, but it is interesting what you said--that will help my growth. Thank you!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    salleewins wrote: »
    @mbaker566--thanks for that information! I can see myself being too connected with others. I didn't even know it. I am a sensitive type of caring person, but I take on too much a lot. When a person I know has a problem then I have more of a problem than I should etc....Leads to eating and used to be drinking. The eating is almost under control, but it is interesting what you said--that will help my growth. Thank you!

THAT is humility in action!! <3 which is a very good quality!! Especially when we are trying to change deeply ingrained behaviors. It shows that you are teachable! A good example for all of us! Thank YOU ;)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    sister bea is awesome
    i like father tom because he is on both sides of the table.

and scott r, chris r, bob d.
    my husband and i like earl h.
    john laroquette and anthony hopkins have a share on youtube too

if you want to know how crazy the loved ones can get i like Mary Pearl and Larcene. Kathy H i think too
  • salleewins
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I am going out with the drinking girlfriends this Friday to a bar and listening to music. This is a place where I drank many times. I am hoping I can abstain. I know I probably shouldn't be going but I can't stay in my house forever.

So I wrote in my phone all the reasons not to drink and why to stay sober. And told myself to read this list that evening several times. I also can leave early or call my sober friend to talk. I want to go and see if I can do all the fun things I used to do but sober and aware.

Ps i found a great humorous speech by Sister Bea (famous AA speaker) on YouTube. The video is an audio and the screen is a big triangle picture if you search for it. So relatable !

Good for you for having a plan! Is there a sober person that could go?
  • salleewins
    Options
    ElC_76 wrote: »
    Just reaching out,.. I feel I'll stay strong if I shared this. It's my brothers birthday today and I am trying not to give in to a drink.
    I trust I can yell u tomorrow I won victory...

You can do it! Have your plan!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    sister bea is awesome
    i like father tom because he is on both sides of the table.

and scott r, chris r, bob d.
    my husband and i like earl h.
    john laroquette and anthony hopkins have a share on youtube too

if you want to know how crazy the loved ones can get i like Mary Pearl and Larcene. Kathy H i think too

Thanks for noting these speakers; I will check them out. Very inspiring to me to listen to people who know exactly how I am feeling.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Niko... i am an alcoholic with no life... i have 4 kids and no wife as she left a couple of years ago with an italian millionairre. i take my anger out on the kids and I need help. please help me.

@EFT17220531 I'm tagging you because you've had lots of helpful suggestions after you posted, and this way you'll get a notification to come back to this thread.

I'll add that we have a great collection of tips how to do this here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10703931/less-alcohol-november-2018-one-day-at-a-time

Best wishes, and much respect for speaking up about your problem.

I've found that discussion with others has been incredibly valuable and made me so much happier.
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    I am hoping I can abstain. I know I probably shouldn't be going but I can't stay in my house forever.

So I wrote in my phone all the reasons not to drink and why to stay sober. And told myself to read this list that evening several times. I also can leave early or call my sober friend to talk. I want to go and see if I can do all the fun things I used to do but sober and aware.

YOU CAN DO THIS!! It will be interesting to hear your experience from a sober point of view. This may be a bit of an eye-opener for you especially since there are so many memories of a drinking you at this particular venue. I think you are strong enough to test the waters on this cause you have an action plan & you've been sober long enough to put it into action. I'll be thinking about you & cheering you on.

P.S. = Why not set a timer on your phone to go off at increments with a reminder of your goal...or have your sober friend call you a half hour in just to check on you...I'm not sure how vulnerable you are feeling doing this, but you sound somewhat concerned.

• lorrainequiche59
    Options
    Just reaching out,.. I feel I'll stay strong if I shared this. It's my brothers birthday today and I am trying not to give in to a drink.
    I trust I can yell u tomorrow I won victory...

Hey, its 4.52am and i have finished my workout! That i wouldnt have been able to do if i gave in **flex** its 4 weeks AF on sunday :);)

You CAN do this!!
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    I am hoping I can abstain. I know I probably shouldn't be going but I can't stay in my house forever.

YOU CAN DO THIS!! It will be interesting to hear your experience from a sober point of view. This may be a bit of an eye-opener for you especially since there are so many memories of a drinking you at this particular venue. I think you are strong enough to test the waters on this cause you have an action plan & you've been sober long enough to put it into action. I'll be thinking about you & cheering you on.

P.S. = Why not set a timer on your phone to go off at increments with a reminder of your goal...or have your sober friend call you a half hour in just to check on you...I'm not sure how vulnerable you are feeling doing this, but you sound somewhat concerned.

That's such an awesome idea. Thanks!!.. we'll all benefit from this.. :))