WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    Options
    Carol - it is a window in what was once the side of the house, but now gives onto the utility room. We have two similar windows in our bedroom. I will have to get blackout roller blinds for them before the spring light arrives. Our front door and its two side windows also have stained glass. The house dates from the 1920s.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    A teensy bit more on disaster preparedness.... after the 2001 earthquake, our county put together a CEMP - Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan which is updated on a regular basis. I'm guessing most jurisdictions in the US have similar - ours was neat in that it had flow charts and overlays.... if Fire Dept #2 is not functional, Fire Dept #3 a few miles away will take over, etc. Your local utilities should also have something set up.... if your water goes out, what's the protocol - will they bring in tankers? Have they even thought about it? Hope so!

The CEMP a huge undertaking and is constantly being revised. I don't see the document on our county website, but I'll bet there's a copy available. Those of you who live in areas that might experience earthquakes, floods, fires and even chemical explosions/hazmat situations, might want to see if you can get access to yours.

It's nice they advise us to have several days of food and water and bugout bags, but I'm the type that wants to know plan B and plan C in case the worst happens. I don't trust the media's version, and to be fair, in a big event they are also inundated with requests for information and up against deadlines and the PIO - Public Info Officer is trying hard to verify information and that just takes time.

Lanette
    SW WA State within shaking distance of Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Cari: Belated Happy Birthday. Your goal of living a longer and healthier life than your grandparents' is a great motivator.

Barbie: The wonderful world of home renovations is full of surprises. Glad yours was handled swiftly, and you're on your way to getting the stove and oven of your dreams.

Heather: Sounds like your new home is shaping up. It takes time. I can relate to your DH feeling the financial pinch, but hopefully there is a great bottle in your wine collection that is helping to alleviate some of the sting.

Viv: Adding my voice to the chorus welcoming you back. You've been through alot. Hugs.

Lisa: Photo-bombed by Egg!! If I was the hiring manager, that would be a plus in my book.

Margaret: Sounds like a great house with tremendous potential. Any photos?

Mary from Ontario: Sorry you have the flu and have to miss your pool workout. Get well soon.

Dana: You had me at 'attached greenhouse'. That sounds like an awesome thing to have.

Lanette: Thanks for the info on disaster preparedness. I've survived earthquakes in California, blizzards in Colorado, a hurricane in Hawaii and 9/11 in NYC, so you've got me thinking I need to dedicate a corner of our garage to preparedness. What are bugout bags?

Loving the 30 Days of Gratitude. I think I will send to a few friends inside of Thanksgiving cards.
    1 - Smell. Fresh, cool mountain air.
    2 - Technology. Digital photography
    3 - Color. The turquoise of swimming pools
    4 - Food. Chewing gum. Keeps me from noshing after dinner.
    5 - Sound. My cat's rumbling purr on my pillow every morning
    6 - Nature. Wildflowers
    7 - Memory. Saying my wedding vows outside in a meadow on O'ahu 30 years ago.. The sky opened up with a gentle drizzle, which is considered a "Hawaiian blessing", and I felt a clear spiriital message affirming I was doing the right thing.
    8 - Book. Auntie Mame! I still want to be her.
    9 - Place. The condo gym where I have time alone to consider my health and work on my fitness.
    10 - Taste. Tart, but sweet. Think rhubarb or cranberry dishes.
    11 - Holiday. New Years Day
    12 - Texture. My alpaca socks
    13 - Abilities. Balance, physical and emotional.

Thankful to all of you for all you do to keep this community vibrant, supportive and interesting. Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Rori - sounds like you've lived through some exciting events!

I found a link for a "go bag" (I call it a bugout bag) on AARP's website: https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2017/packing-your-emergency-preparedness-kit-fd.html

I like the idea of scanning important documents and putting them on a thumb drive as well. I keep meaning to store my computer backups offsite maybe in DH's shop or in my car. It's on my list. B)

Lanette
    SW WA State where we're getting some smoke filtering in from the CA fires. Weatherman says rain tonight will clear it up for us.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did the Extreme Makeover the Workout DVD today. The plan for tomorrow since we have a Newcomer general meeting is to do the Prevention Get Moving DVD.

Kim – I’m so relieved that you’re OK. I can’t get over that FEMA can’t help the victims of the fires

Karen in VA – what a sweet story about Alex and how everyone stopped for him to take a nap.

Viv – my heart breaks for you. I can’t imagine what you’re feeling.

Penny – so glad to “see” you. Those raspberries look heavenly. Thanks for sharing those photos. I’m always so fascinated by your life up there. I don’t know that I could do it, but it’s fascinating.

Heather – it seems like just yesterday that you visited Penny. Two and a half years ago!!!!!!

Margaret – sounds like things are moving right along with the home. Can’t wait until you get it and we get pics

Heather – have you ever thought about going into interior decorating?

I’m just going to say it here to get it off my chest. Really, this is stupid. Adra sent Vince a list of the people who have sent a check for the holiday party. She also sent it to the president (probably so that the president knows how many people are coming). Well, that’s not an accurate count of how many people have paid. I got a check last night, Adra doesn’t know anything about it. The president is basically just biding her time until her term of office is over. She’s very willing to let anyone else do the work. Adra likes to get in the middle of things, even tho there are things that she never gets to that she says she’s going to do (like giving me updates, she said she wants to make a new application with me but that’s never been done.). Here’s just another example of how she feels she has all the most current information, only she doesn’t. I’m just laughing to myself, how foolish people are to believe she has the most current information when she doesn’t. Hopefully, the next president will get things back on track

Barbara – that was the first time ever I’d seen a tsunami evacuation route sign!

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    ######
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,236 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    144 new messages, and no time to read or comment. Lol!

Short bio
    I'm 72, and live in Northern Ireland. Married 52 years, and have 2 daughters and 3 grand'kids'.

I'm retired, but work as a volunteer Group leader for a lifelong learning charity. I lead 5 groups, and belong to another 10, so am kept pretty busy. I love the Challenges on MFP as the keep me accountable. I'm assistant coach in charge of an optional strength Challenge for a small walking group.

Pre 2015, when I joined MFP, I had hip problems whichnimpacted my mobility, and gained a lot of weight, which I had to shed to qualify for hip surgery. Lost 40lbs, got a new hip and have lost another 20. Trying to get down to a maintenance weight that gives me wriggle room for high days and holidays. 10 more lbs to go.

I love all things arts and crafts, and am studying Shakespeare, Latin and art history, to name a few.

November Daily Goals Doing fine on the goals, with very little movement on the scale.
    Food
    ~ Pre-log; stay under goal; balance macros/micros; Hydrate adequately
    Cardio:
    ~ 9,500+ Steps daily
    ~ 30+ minutes interval walking
    Strength:
    ~ 15+ mins lower body physio daily or ~ 15+ minutes arms/core/abs
    Flexibility:
    ~ 5 mins stretch before/after workouts
    ~ 10+ mins yoga or tai chi
    Daily Mindfulness Practice/meditation
    15 mins Daily Declutter session

30 days of Gratitude in November
    1) Smell: I Love the smell of my Cocoa Butter Therapy treatment Oil. It reminds me of summer days.
    2) Technology: My Seniors Travel Pass, which allows me to travel free of charge anywhere in Ireland. Including state owned ferries and flights to various offshore islands, such as Rathlin and Aran.
    3) Colour: The clear deep blue of the autumn sky peeping through the rain clouds.
    4) Food: 🍫 What else needs to be said!
    5) Sound - the sound of hubby snoring in the middle of the night. Very reassuring
    6) In Nature - walking along the coastline which is just a mile from my home.
    7) Memory - nursing my 11 day old granddaughter at 6 am on her first Christmas morning.
    8) Book: The book which means the most to me is my Journal. I have been writing Journals for over 20 years. I started in hard-backed notebooks, and they have gone through many reincarnations. There are so many volumes they have their own shelves in my study. At present I am using a bullet Journal format. I also love all things sci-fi and art books.
    6zo9w1lf2tzc.jpeg
    9) Favourite place: My favourite place is my garden. It's quiet and peaceful. It's taken us almost 40 years to create, and we have many mature trees which block out the houses around us. When we started, it was a flat field, with the countryside beyond, and a field of cows directly behind us. Now the town has washed past us, and we are in a leafy suburb.
    28t84zqhv8ns.jpg
    10) Taste: Today, I am grateful for the taste of the cup of tea Hubster just brought me. It reminds me of how fortunate I am to have him in my life.
    11) The annual family holiday we have with our elder daughter and her 'children'. I am amazed that they still want to have holidays with their grandparents.
    12) I like the crunchy texture of a fresh crisp apple.
    13) I have a knack of zoning things out, which comes in very handy at times. I was always a dreamy child, and I have never given up the habit.

Irish Terri

f2ob3tkby1dx.jpg

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.20min, 146mhr, 13.1amph, 1.5mi= 80c
    Fl. exercises- 41..35min, 3sets of 10ea, 25different exercises= 228c
    arm dip/pullup machine- 10.34min, 4sets of 10ea, 4 diff. exercises= 77c
    ride gym 2 dome- 5.23min, 16.7amph, 1.4mi= 59c
    ride puy 2 sumn station- 15.40min, 11.6amph, 3mi= 155c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.12min, 9.47min mi, 153mhr, .5mi= 65c
    jog wk 2 sumn sta- 4.05min, 154mhr, 9.03min mi, .4mi= 62c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 20.15min, 7.7amph, 147mhr, 2.2.6mi= 190c

total cal 916
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I’ve been knitting today & enjoying the task. I’m making a baby blanket for my grandniece’s first baby. We went to a shower for her yesterday. She lives in Illinois & we had her gift shipped to her home. I’ve made baby blankets for each of my grandchildren & deciced to make one for her baby, too. She wants blue.❤️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Hi all

It's been a whirlwind of activity lately - again.

My husband and I were on the mainland (northern Norway) for a while. We were supposed to fly north again on Thursday but dense fog at the airport scuttled those plans. Our flight originated in Oslo and we had friends on it who were also headed for Svalbard. The plane couldn't land in Tromsø, so after circling for an hour, they landed at another airport. The passengers who were only going as far as Tromsø were bussed to their destination. The alternative airport is only 100 miles to the south as the bird (or airplane) flies, but Norwegian roads are so crooked it takes 4 hours by bus. The Svalbard-bound passengers got back on the plane and it took off ... but flew back to Oslo! Our poor friends spent the entire day on a plane and ended up back where they started. The next day SAS arranged a nonstop flight for them, and an extra flight for us.

I was supposed to give a lecture about 15 minutes after the extra flight's scheduled arrival time. I contacted the organizers and they kindly postponed my lecture for one hour. Still, after we landed, it was a rush to get our luggage, zip home and pick up a couple things I needed for the lecture (which went well despite the stress). Later the same day, we attended the release party for a book written by one of those friends who had spent the previous day flying back and forth to Oslo.

On Saturday we attended an interesting lecture by a local historian, another book release party, and a long farewell dinner for a friend who is leaving Svalbard after 12 years. :cry:

Sunday was my middle sister's birthday. She lives in Seattle -- 9 hours time difference from us -- and I couldn't call until late our time. She didn't answer so I left a message on her cell phone. Then I called my parents in New Hampshire to arrange a Skype session, as we knew that my youngest sister and her husband would be visiting. When my father answered the phone, I heard my middle sister's voice in the background. She was already Skyping with them, which is why she didn't answer my call. She patched me into the Skype conversation, and suddenly my childhood family was reunited: Mom, Dad, and all three girls. There's a technology to be grateful for!

More gratitude:

Nature - Lots of things, but today I'm grateful for the beautiful veils of drifting snow that dance over the frozen ground here in Svalbard.

Memory - This is a tough one! I choose the memory of walking out the back door of the cottage my mother's parents had in upstate New York, smelling the thyme my grandmother planted in the 1940's and that had spread everywhere, and climbing the cypress tree up onto the gently sloping roof of the cottage. I loved it up there!

Book - The Hobbit (and by extention, The Lord of the Rings). When I was 12, my family spent half a year driving around East Africa (for my father's research work). We lived in our car and had little space for anything but bare necessities. Every night I read my only book, The Hobbit. I must have read it 20 times in a row. I can still recite long passages from memory.

Place - This has to be the mountain slope above our holiday home in northern Norway. In spring there are flowers; in autumn there are chanterelles; there's always a view. It is the site of some of my most contented moments.
    3pnow6c7mf2l.jpg

Taste - Mmmmm... those incredible raspberries from last summer.
    3c69m7myugi1.jpg

Holiday - The first Sunday of Advent. More specifically, singing in the choir at St Jacob's Church in Stockholm on the first Sunday of Advent. The candles are lit, the music is joyful, and the church is always packed.

Texture - I'm currently enjoying the firmness of my own thigh muscles. :lol:

Abilities - My sense of direction. I don't easily get lost.

Yesterday, November 12, was the last day this year with "civil twilight", which means the sun is below the horizon but there's enough light to do stuff outdoors without artificial lighting. From here on out there's even less light. Until January 29, I'll have to run in places where there are streetlights, and use a headlamp for the stretches where they are too far apart to provide adequate illumination. I'm still completely on track for my goal of 1500 km for the year from July 1 to June 30. At present I'm at 652 km (405 miles).

I took this photo at around noon today. The camera compensates for low light conditions. It's a lot darker in reality.
    rkdw7dcv0rot.jpg

Time to go out jogging!
    /Penny at the t07190.gif

Beautiful photos! :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My sister-in-law posted this and I thought it was good ...

lkzkyg4kxd5w.png

Nov 1 - my roses. :)
    Nov 2 - social media and staying connected with family and friends.
    Nov 3 - blue. The blue of the mouth of the river/bay/start of the ocean out my window. The blue of the sky. My new blue sleeping top that was nice and comfy last night.
    Nov 4 - food ... cheese. I ate a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches when my husband was in hospital. They were my comfort food. Also cheese has calcium which I think I need. Unfortunately, cheese does tend to be a bit high in calories so I shouldn't eat too much of it. But anything cheese-y is comforting. :)
    Nov 5 - sound. I like listening to the waves and the birds, but I think the sound I'm most grateful for today is my husband's voice. Just the fact that we can talk to each other again. :)
    Nov 6 - "What in nature are you grateful for?" ... That's hard to narrow down to one thing. Oxford dictionary describes nature as "the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth". I am grateful for all of it. I find that getting out into any sort of nature helps to relieve stress.
    Nov 7 - "What memory are you grateful for?" ... Another one with so many choices!!! Recently, I've been grateful for two memories. 1) June 2017 ... my husband and I had a wonderful visit to Canada and did several things to make great memories ... hiking, cycling, visiting my family. I clung onto those memories during the months he was in hospital. 2) When I was 9 years old, my family moved away from where my grandmother lived. One of of the last days there, my grandmother took me to her window and showed me a full moon outside. She told me that on every full moon, we could both look at it and know that even though we were far apart, we were both looking at the same moon. That's a memory which has stuck with me all these years, and every time I see a full moon, I think of my grandmother. She's 97 years old ... but not doing so well ... so I've been thinking of her a lot. And I've also been very glad that my husband and I were able to see her when we visited Canada in June 2017.
    Nov 8 - "What book are you most grateful for?" That's easy ... The Bible. :)

I've enjoyed reading all your memories. :)
    Love the discussion about books! :)

Nov 9 - "What place are you most grateful for?" This is not an easy one for me because I don't have the sense of "home" that many people have. I've moved too much for that.
    So ... I've had to give this one some thought.
    What place?
    Well ...
    I'm grateful for our current house. It's comfortable enough. It's not very big so it's fairly easy to manage. And it has a great garden which my husband has been able to work in since returning home from his accident. It is also close to a couple beaches, which is nice. :)

Nov 10 - Taste! Hmmm ... salt. In the "Do you crave sweet or salty" discussion, I fall on the "salty" side.
    As it happens, I have a diminished sense of taste and smell for whatever reason, so I divide foods into the basic tastes: sweet, salty, sour or bitter, and from there it's harder to distinguish precise flavours. Although, I do seem to have some odd tastes like, for example, meat and tomato taste metallic to me, and I don't like that. If I salt them well, the metallic taste goes away and they taste salty, which is OK.
    Then, one of the side effects of my husband's accident is that he has lost most of his sense of taste and smell. He has regained a little bit, and they say it should return very gradually. But he'll comment that dinner has no flavour, and I'll think, "It just tastes salty to me. Is there supposed to be more flavour than that?"

Nov 11 - What holiday are you grateful for? Christmas!!! :)
    I've always loved Christmas. I even picked up 3 Christmas CDs yesterday. I like having a decent amount of time off ... not just one day ... so I can get things done. I like all the decorations. I like the music. I like the services and celebrations.

Nov 12 - Texture. Smooth. Very, very smooth. Clothing with no texture. Textured clothing is unwearable. Smooth clothing is good.

Nov 13 - Abilities. Right now, it would have to be organisation. While I feel like I'm in the midst of a chaotic whirlwind (and have been for the past 8 months) and I don't feel very organised, surprisingly enough, stuff is getting done.

Maybe I should include things like endurance and tenacity ... "skills" I've honed from my long distance cycling carrying over to "real life".

Nov 14 - Sight. What sight am I grateful for? The ever-changing view out the window of our house looking over the bay and the surrounding hills. Right now it's all grey and misty but it still looks good.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Had to share my morning funny... Had my first-ever video interview this morning (for a totally separate, local company, not a non-profit). They're massive, and it would be a step back into the corporate world, but they pay well. Was pleased to get to this stage - it's always an ego-boost. Well, I practiced all my answers, was completely ready for the interview, and turns out I had practiced all the wrong ones. But I recovered, gathered all my aplomb (love that word) and did great with the first three questions. You get two tries - if you don't like your answer, you can re-record another. The first three, I submitted my first answer.

The fourth one, as I started answering, Egg (my cat) walked in behind me in the camera range, then jumped up on the table behind me and was peering at what I was doing. Got so distracted, I petered out on my answer, which I didn't like anyway, and said so on the video. But I was so distracted, I hit "submit" instead of retry. During the 5th answer, I was grinning throughout (might as well laugh, it's not worth crying over), and it was about my best qualities. I began with, "Well, as you can see by my last answer, I'm not perfect. But then, if I was, I'd just be annoying." And then went on with the legit answer.

It's possible that Egg does not want me to work for this company, as I'd be working at an office, instead of at home. :smiley:

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

You reminded me of the process I went through to get a job in Tasmania.

I sent out application after application ... and here in Australia, a job application consists of a 2-3 page document listing qualifications (education, employment, etc.) + a 10-page or so document addressing the Key Selection Criteria. There are often 6-10 Key Selection Criteria each of which require several paragraphs detailing how we meet the particular criteria and providing some concrete examples + a good coversheet. And sometimes some additional information if required. So each one is a small book. I sent out 27 of these small books in total!!

And then the interviews started.

Some were telephone interviews.
    Some were Skype interviews.

One particular Skype interview stands out in my mind because we got all set up. I was at my table with my laptop in front of me.

And they informed me that the only room they could get was the one with a full wall-sized screen on it. There were three of them sitting at a table with an image of my head and torso about 12 feet tall on the wall!!!!

It was disconcerting for everyone ... for me, knowing that my head was nearly the size of a small car. For them ... being looked at with a head that was nearly the size of a small car! I didn't dare do anything like brush my hair back from my face with a hand or anything for fear it would a) look hideous and b) scare them half to death.

I didn't get that job.

But I did get one of the ones through a telephone interview. :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: I definitely live in a Fahrenheit world. Having freezing = 0 makes sense, but changing systems is a huge challenge. :ohwell:

I went through that change in Grade 4, right in the middle of learning volume. To this day, volume has me confused.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Today I walked ... 5 km round trip to my dental surgeon and back. My CT scan and MRI showed that my jaw is in pretty good condition, however I will get botox injections to relax the muscles on the sides of my head and thus relax the TMJ issues.

I've also got a mouth guard which I need to try one day soon ... to keep from grinding my teeth. And I need to make another dental appointment for a cleaning and to have the one broken tooth fixed.

My dental surgeon told me something else ... the MRI showed a cyst on my brain. It's not clear because MRIs focus on whatever area they are for. So this one focused on my jaw, but they noticed it in the background. I'm going for another MRI next week.

Machka in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    morning! Another busy work day, but I get to deliver some happy news to some of my students that made it to our County orchestra (by a very competitive audition) fun! (ok, more work for me, but FUN). I have my ultrasound-mamo today, yay me.

Sight: Just having sight is something I'm profoundly grateful for. To see nature in all its forms is something I am grateful for and will stop and wonder at it, and breathe it in.

NYKAREN
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Penny: The photos are gorgeous. :heart:

Machka: November 14: What sight are you grateful for: I’m grateful for the wild birds that winter in the river right where I can see them. The first to arrive have been Gadwalls, and yesterday there were two. It is still too dark to see them this morning. :ohwell:

My dog got me up at 3 am so he could go potty. Color me grumpy. I’m headed back to bed & he better not get me up again before daylight. :grumble:

Katla the Grouch