What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    akrynski wrote: »
    I won't eat anything that is billed as a salad that isn't an actual salad: i.e. pasta salad, fruit salad, potato salad...

Technically the word "salad" comes from salt, and the traditional commonalty of different things called salad is that they had dressing (although that is not how we use it with "fruit salad" today).

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodsalads.html

I don't usually like fruit salad, because I see it in the winter with the cheapest possible fruits, and usually kind of tasteless. I love melon in the summer, in season and local, but winter melon in fruit salad, eh. Same with strawberries when they appear, grapes (although I don't care about grapes at any time of year), etc. I always like pineapple, though.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I like kale.

So do I, though I tend to buy collards more because I think they're easier to prep.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I really like Hawaiian pizza :grimace: I don't care how inauthentic that makes me.

Same! We were ordering Hawaiian pizza before Hawaiian pizza was Hawaiian pizza! I remember my mom, back in the 80's calling Pizza Hut and requesting a Canadian bacon pizza with pineapple added. I still love it to this day! If I'm feeling "healthy" I'll add green peppers!

Canadian bacon! What a joke! What a pointless pizza topping. I don't know why it even exists.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    kam26001 wrote: »
    Eating ice cream during the winter months is weird.
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    Yep. And eating soup is the Summer is weird. Can't do it.

Agreed!

("Soup" to me = "hot" unless specified otherwise.)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kam26001 wrote: »
    Eating ice cream during the winter months is weird.
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    Yep. And eating soup is the Summer is weird. Can't do it.

Agreed!

("Soup" to me = "hot" unless specified otherwise.)

Add me to the list of people who can't eat ice cream in winter or soup in summer.

And it's odd about the soup, because I'm always cold year round, but it's a mental thing. I'm also not very big on meal salads in winter, unless they are hot salads made from roasted veggies.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »
    I like kale.

Then you will like the mac n cheese on this menu
    http://www.psontap.com/menus/ca/ps310/
    :p

Oh yeah!

CHORIZO MAC & CHEESE 10
    mornay sauce, kale
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Oatmeal is disgusting no matter how much crap you put in it to try to make it taste better.

I don't think it's quite THAT bad but I don't like it much, either. When people post on MFP about eating their oatmeal plain or with just some sugar/sweetener it makes me want to gag. It reminds me of wet cardboard texture and has very little flavor. I do eat it, usually with a spoonful each of peanut butter and jam. But without at least that much to flavor it...no thanks!

I only like oatmeal with dinosaur eggs in it, when you pour in the hot water they hatch 😁 🦖🦖🦖

That is... awesome. I do eat old fashioned oats with peanut butter and banana almost every day, but that right there would be a nice little treat :blush:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Oatmeal is disgusting no matter how much crap you put in it to try to make it taste better.

I don't think it's quite THAT bad but I don't like it much, either. When people post on MFP about eating their oatmeal plain or with just some sugar/sweetener it makes me want to gag. It reminds me of wet cardboard texture and has very little flavor. I do eat it, usually with a spoonful each of peanut butter and jam. But without at least that much to flavor it...no thanks!

I only like oatmeal with dinosaur eggs in it, when you pour in the hot water they hatch 😁 🦖🦖🦖

My son LOVES those! :lol:
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    I really like Hawaiian pizza :grimace: I don't care how inauthentic that makes me.

I do too. I think the two flavors of pineapple and canadian bacon (pepperoni is good too) offset each other nicely.

Another person who knows Hawaiian pizza!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member

ox3rcblzc0p0.jpeg

that is the only Oatmeal I gag down- I have a box in my office in case I forget my lunch!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

I do too. I think the two flavors of pineapple and canadian bacon (pepperoni is good too) offset each other nicely.

Another person who knows Hawaiian pizza!

'Hawaiian' pizza is neither (ducks and runs).
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member

ox3rcblzc0p0.jpeg

They still make these?! I loved these as a kid. I may have to go buy a box.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I like kale.

So do I, though I tend to buy collards more because I think they're easier to prep.

I like collards more, actually (love!), but I like a varied of leafy greens.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

ox3rcblzc0p0.jpeg

They still make these?! I loved these as a kid. I may have to go buy a box.

I had never heard of this oatmeal 'til this thread. I'm dying laughing now. I should buy some for my husband to get a laugh out of.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

My son LOVES those! :lol:

Mine, too!
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    admaarie wrote: »
    Sweet potato fries are better than regular. Especially with chipotle sauce.

Lettuce wrapped burgers are just so pointless to me.

Oatmeal is top 5 best breakfast food.

Cookies are overrated.

Is this unpopular opinions o_O They all seem blatantly obvious to me. I prefer truffle mayo on my sweet potato fries though
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    smolmaus wrote: »

-Parsnips taste like dirt. They're carrots with no soul left. Carrot-ghouls that hide in soup pretending to be potato.

This wonderfully descriptive quote has almost made me spit out my yummy yummy starbucks laughing so hard... visions of carrot ghosts 🥕👻😂😂😂

I think parsnips are like more delicius carrots rather than the opposite
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Kashi cereal is like chewing cardboard. Shredded wheat is like eating hay. Grapenuts are gravel in (barely) edible form.

Golden Grahams all the way! Chex are also acceptable, but not wheat. Corn or rice (or a mix of both). But regular serving sizes of any cereal are pitiful, so I usually don't eat it.

That's how I felt about the Fiber One Cereal.