What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Kashi cereal is like chewing cardboard. Shredded wheat is like eating hay. Grapenuts are gravel in (barely) edible form.

Golden Grahams all the way! Chex are also acceptable, but not wheat. Corn or rice (or a mix of both). But regular serving sizes of any cereal are pitiful, so I usually don't eat it.

Agreed. Corn Chex are IMHO the best of the plain ones. The cinnamon or chocolate ones in milk with a cup of tea is a great light dessert. Though the flavored ones are expensive for such a small box, so I wait for a sale!
  • JLHuntah
    JLHuntah Posts: 6 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I find avocado disgusting.

*Gasp* ;)
  • lalee115
    lalee115 Posts: 185 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Kashi cereal is like chewing cardboard. Shredded wheat is like eating hay. Grapenuts are gravel in (barely) edible form.

Golden Grahams all the way! Chex are also acceptable, but not wheat. Corn or rice (or a mix of both). But regular serving sizes of any cereal are pitiful, so I usually don't eat it.

Agreed. Corn Chex are IMHO the best of the plain ones. The cinnamon or chocolate ones in milk with a cup of tea is a great light dessert. Though the flavored ones are expensive for such a small box, so I wait for a sale!

I buy the generic Malt-O-Meal bag version of Cinnamon Toast Crunch... yummy! With milk, without milk, it doesn't matter! And it lasts a while.

My dad ate Grape Nuts when I was a kid. I never understood it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    lalee115 wrote: »

I buy the generic Malt-O-Meal bag version of Cinnamon Toast Crunch... yummy! With milk, without milk, it doesn't matter! And it lasts a while.

Yes! I'll sometimes get the store brand version of Cinnamon Life when they have it.

I knew someone who microwaved Grape Nuts in milk and added cinnamon sugar and fruit. Ummm, at that point, why not just make oats or barley or something? Those little boxes of Grape Nuts are expensive too :neutral:
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Honey nut Cheerios is the best cereal.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Honey nut Cheerios is the best cereal.

The stealth kids' cereal; most people seem to think of Cheerios as just across the mythical line that separates "healthy" cereals from sugar bombs.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Honey nut Cheerios and shreddies (especially the banana bread flavour) are the best cereals IMO.

Almond butter is better than peanut butter.

Cashew milk is better then almond.

Avocado toast is overrated. Not bad. Just overrated.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I hate shrimp

I tried shrimp so many different ways trying to like it, but I can't and don't.

I can't comprehend why so many people love it so much. Makes no sense.

Shrimp makes me think of bugs. Disgusting, rubbery bugs. And that's not a 'vein' you're pulling out when preparing it. That's the poop tract. Prettying up the phrasing doesn't change it :sick:

They ARE bugs. I remember once reading that if you were to cook pill bugs (wood lice, and whatever else they call them in other parts of the world), they'd smell and taste just like shrimp.

CASE CLOSED.

Many years ago, when I was in culinary school, we had a chef instructor who had worked in Morocco, where they ate locusts. He told us that they did taste like shrimp. I'm not easily grossed out, so I might try them.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Thanksgiving is like a big party with all the foods I do not like or couldn't care less about.

Least favorite pies? Apple and pumpkin, check
    Worst potatoes? Mashed with tons of butter, check
    Worst sweet potato format? Canned then coated in sugary things and baked, check
    Least favorite poultry? Turkey, check
    Worst casserole/dishes? Green bean casserole & stuffing/dressing, check

Ick. Even in my days long before MFP when I ate all of the things without a care in the world, I remember skipping Thanksgiving dinner and getting a nice chicken wrap from a restaurant that night instead.

I agree with you on the last three. Green bean casserole is gross, stuffing and turkey both suck. Sweet potato casserole with marshmallows and other sweet stuff is an abomination.

however I don't mind mashed potatoes and those are my two favorite types of pie!!
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    lalee115 wrote: »

Yes! I'll sometimes get the store brand version of Cinnamon Life when they have it.

I knew someone who microwaved Grape Nuts in milk and added cinnamon sugar and fruit. Ummm, at that point, why not just make oats or barley or something? Those little boxes of Grape Nuts are expensive too :neutral:

My mom used to make Grape Nuts cereal. Ugh.
    Every time I look at them I think about shredded corrugated cardboard and kitty litter.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Thanksgiving is like a big party with all the foods I do not like or couldn't care less about.

Least favorite pies? Apple and pumpkin, check
    Worst potatoes? Mashed with tons of butter, check
    Worst sweet potato format? Canned then coated in sugary things and baked, check
    Least favorite poultry? Turkey, check
    Worst casserole/dishes? Green bean casserole & stuffing/dressing, check

Ick. Even in my days long before MFP when I ate all of the things without a care in the world, I remember skipping Thanksgiving dinner and getting a nice chicken wrap from a restaurant that night instead.

Yep on the green beans casserole, sweat potatoes, and most stuffings. I didn't grow up with the first two. We'd have green beans amandine and a big salad with homemade dressing with our turkey. I hate stuffing from a box.

Have you tried Cornish game hens for Thanksgiving? Very yummy and no piles of leftovers.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    I can not believe it took me 67 years to realize s'mores can be made with anything other than hershey's chocolate squares. I now feel obligated to try every single combination of everything chocolate-and-something-else, I have a lot of catching up to do.

Also try Dandies Vegan Vanilla Marshmallows. Don't get turned off by the vegan label if you aren't vegan (I'm not). It just means they don't use gelatin. They are really good.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    I can not believe it took me 67 years to realize s'mores can be made with anything other than hershey's chocolate squares. I now feel obligated to try every single combination of everything chocolate-and-something-else, I have a lot of catching up to do.

Also try Dandies Vegan Vanilla Marshmallows. Don't get turned off by the vegan label if you aren't vegan (I'm not). It just means they don't use gelatin. They are really good.

I have some shopping to do...
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Cheez-Its... best cracker. Period.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Cheez-Its... best cracker. Period.

Cheese Nips > Cheez-Its