11/4: 8 miles
    11/6: 4.2 miles
    11/7: 4.6 miles
    11/8: 3.1 miles
    11/10: 3.2 miles Wags & Whiskers 5K - 1st place female/3rd overall
    11/13: 4.1 miles
    11/14: 3.6 miles

34.9/75 miles completed

I ran 3.6 miles at lunch today. It was still pretty cold for me, but 47F feels like 47F is not too bad. I wore a t-shirt with a jacket and took the jacket off about the last 1.5 miles. I really need to look into getting some sleeves. My ears were fine without the strong winds. Overall it was a good run. I always feel rushed when I run at lunch and like I have to cut it short though. I planned to run at lunch today since I have handbell choir practice on Wednesday afternoon's, but then they cancelled the bell chior so I could have run after work. I think tomorrow I'll run after work. It was kind of fun yesterday running home from the office.

@shanaber I'm so sorry about the foot. I hope it heals quickly.

@amirahdaboss I'm with you. If it is windy and feels like 21 then I'm not going outside to run.

@mbaker566 Speed demon looks so happy!

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    10/6/18: Old Rip 5K Run - PR 29:43.5, 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K - 30.05 official time - 1st place female/3rd overall
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @7lenny7 Wow, those pictures were neat. I had trouble figuring out just what I was looking at. The body is amazing. I hope you are healing well. Is it itchy? Driving you mad? Good job getting those upper body workouts in while you're not allowed to run.
    Thanks for being sweet @katharmonic. Enjoy your trip!
    @avidkeo Your healthcare system sounds very efficient. Ours is close, but we only have a private option for a few things.
    @shanaber Aw, hugs. That stinks. Wishing you speedy healing. Hope you can find some good alternatives that you enjoy.
    @sarahthes Oh no! Hope you get some good news soon.
    @debrakgoogins That's awesome that you don't want to stop for the walk!
    Congratulations on all the excellent races (and wins!) and thanks for the reports!
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    I went away for the weekend and did my long run on Friday (80 mins). I overindulged, so I found yesterday's intervals quite difficult after the three-day break, but my pace seemed pretty good (for slow me) despite how I felt.

I bought two pairs of fleece-lined, water-resistant bottoms to help keep me going now that it's constantly raining and hovering around/below freezing. Old Navy had some on sale for $18, and I tried them out in -2C yesterday. Very cozy and comfy. They're called Go-Warm. The other ones were $120 from Running Room, and they have a nice outer shell so should be better for wind/rain. Pretty big price difference though. I hope I prefer the Old Navy ones!

The rest of my week is easy (free Garmin 10K plan). I believe it's called a cutback week, which I've never had before. I'm on track to meet my monthly goal. Do y'all plan cutback weeks regularly into your schedules?

Nov 1 - lower strength
    Nov 2 - 1.67 mi hills (30 mins) and upper strength
    Nov 3 - 4.38 mi long (70 mins)
    Nov 5 - 1.99 mi recovery (30 mins) and lower strength
    Nov 6 - 3.24 mi intervals (50 mins) and upper strength
    Nov 8 - 2.33 mi intervals (35 mins) and lower strength
    Nov 9 - 5.16 mi long (80 mins)
    Nov 11 - upper strength
    Nov 13 - 3.22 mi intervals (47 mins) and lower strength
    Nov 14 - upper strength

MTD: 22 mi / 45 mi
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Y’all I’m back for some advice. Since it’s starting to get really cold, does anyone have any recommendations for good running jackets and warm running leggings/tights? Hopefully something that won’t break the bank too 😂
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So i got out and did 13k this morning. I have one more run, 5k on Friday, before my big day. And yes this is MY big day because I've been building to this all year. and I just found out we get medals! Didn't know that. so excited.

Today's run was great, much better than yesterdays, I think I'm starting to prefer longer runs, 8k minimum these days. though 13k before work is a bit of a challenge, I was up at 5 instead of 5:20. and I kept my pace slower. Still not as slow as it should be but slower. oh well. Rest tomorrow, and I will rest, probably go for a gentle walk and stretch/roll in the evening. will see.

Hang on a minute..... you mean the medal wasn't the whole reason you signed up for it? lol
    I even agreed to pay an extra € or so to have my time lasered onto my medal. The idea being it will always be cherished as my very first real live race medal (I have a couple from virtual races) and in yeras to come I will be able to look at the time on it and laugh my head off at how slow I was (or cry over how fast I used to be.....)

So excited for you, can't wait to hear how it goes, I know you're going to rock it!

Thanks, nope didn't know till today bahaha. I may be wrong but I think medals. Are fairly new here... @ContraryMaryMary? I know when I did my first half, in 2011, there wasn't medals then.

Well damn! Extra motivation then :-)
    The half at the end of March that I keep having to make myself wait to sign up for, not only do you get a medal, you get a mug too, the design on which apparently changes every year. How can one resist that? T-shirt, mug AND medal?

Wednesday is short run day for me so only 5km (mind still boggles over that only!). Decided what husband doesn't know won't hurt him and took the road round behind the industrial estate, which is short but has nice flat, wide pavements in a good state of repair and not too many walkers or other runners on them, so is a nice easy option. Don't know what he worries about either, on week days there's a constant stream of traffic on that road so it's not like I'd get kidnapped and nobody would notice.
    Anyway, came round a corner on my way there and OMG almost became a jogger. There was a guy, looked to be in his 20s, stretched out out cold in the middle of the pavement. I was saved from becoming a jogger because A.) I don't THINK he was dead (though he was very still and very pale) and B.) there were a couple of police officers there so I wasn't actually the one to find him. They'd put their jackets over him, but not over his head so I'm assuming he was just unconscious. (Do they cover their faces in real life if they're dead or is that just on the TV?) Wondering what had happened to him kept my brain busy during my run, and the few rain drops kept me feeling fresh.

2/11: 7km
    4/11: 11km
    6/11: 7km
    7/11: 5km
    9/11: 7km
    11/11: 13km
    13/11: 8km
    14/11: 5km
    November goal: 125km. Completed so far: 63km

Hah, way to dodge the jogging bullet! I wonder if you might not be able to make some compromise with your husband that would make him comfortable with you expanding your running routes. Maybe if you tell him you'll always run in well-lit, well-trafficked areas and text him before and after you leave the house? And maybe get a whistle? Regular exercise is such an important thing for your health and well being, while stranger rape/abduction is extremely rare in most parts of the world. The news will spend weeks talking about the rare woman abducted while running because it makes a much sexier headline than "710 women died of heart disease today, and yesterday, and the day before..." ad nauseam.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    Thanks for that info @ContraryMaryMary. I am on a cutback week and was just wondering about the best way to time them around my period. Very useful to know!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Finally, and ladies, you will get this, my freaking period is about to start, at this point day 1 will be Saturday, and day 1 is always my WORST day. Gee thanks body. oh well, running anyway, maybe Ill get lucky and it will just start today instead, or wait until Sunday. At least running helps with the cramps.

Inconvenience and cramps aside, getting your period is actually a good thing (and I credit it for playing a significant part in my half marathon PBs). Fingers crossed you get the worst of it over before Sunday.

From Runners World: "This is the Follicular Phase [Days 1-14], and a time when estrogen levels are low and when our bodies more easily break down Glycogen for quick energy, making high intensity workouts more efficient [energy-wise]. You may find during the first two weeks of your cycle you are able to run faster, with lower heart rates [easier] and leap tall buildings in a single bound. This is a great time to push harder runs and races.

"Then we ovulate [Day 15] and move into the Luteal Phase [Days 16-28] where estrogen levels are stable, but high. This is what I refer to as the "When Is This Run Going To Be Over" Phase. Although hard and fast runs will seem nearly impossible during this phase, your long runs may seem just fine due to the high levels of estrogen and it's preference of fat-burning for fuel [low intensity exercise]."

Oh thats really interesting and might be why the 20k I did 3 weeks ago felt a lot easier than the 13k I did last week bahaha.

Ill keep that in mind for Saturday then! I'm mostly hoping that I don't leak anywhere. thank god for black pants haha. Ill be doubling up, tampon and pad, but this will only be the second time I ever wear a tampon since I was a teenager (about 20 years ago lol)
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,658 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Finally, and ladies, you will get this, my freaking period is about to start, at this point day 1 will be Saturday, and day 1 is always my WORST day. Gee thanks body. oh well, running anyway, maybe Ill get lucky and it will just start today instead, or wait until Sunday. At least running helps with the cramps.

Inconvenience and cramps aside, getting your period is actually a good thing (and I credit it for playing a significant part in my half marathon PBs). Fingers crossed you get the worst of it over before Sunday.

From Runners World: "This is the Follicular Phase [Days 1-14], and a time when estrogen levels are low and when our bodies more easily break down Glycogen for quick energy, making high intensity workouts more efficient [energy-wise]. You may find during the first two weeks of your cycle you are able to run faster, with lower heart rates [easier] and leap tall buildings in a single bound. This is a great time to push harder runs and races.

"Then we ovulate [Day 15] and move into the Luteal Phase [Days 16-28] where estrogen levels are stable, but high. This is what I refer to as the "When Is This Run Going To Be Over" Phase. Although hard and fast runs will seem nearly impossible during this phase, your long runs may seem just fine due to the high levels of estrogen and it's preference of fat-burning for fuel [low intensity exercise]."

Oh thats really interesting and might be why the 20k I did 3 weeks ago felt a lot easier than the 13k I did last week bahaha.

Ill keep that in mind for Saturday then! I'm mostly hoping that I don't leak anywhere. thank god for black pants haha. Ill be doubling up, tampon and pad, but this will only be the second time I ever wear a tampon since I was a teenager (about 20 years ago lol)

Remember too, that you'll only be running for about 2 hours, so a pit stop 15 minutes before (this is totally doable at Kerikeri) and another just after you're done, and you should be fine, unless you have a super heavy flow.

And if you're not a tampon wearer, check out these knickers (my friend Michelle's new venture). Could be ideal if you have concerns that your pad may come unstuck!! https://iameva.co
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

don't forget to body glide the area. i chafed from a string. or from the edges of the pad.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

don't forget to body glide the area. i chafed from a string. or from the edges of the pad.

would never have thought of the string! I have definitely learned about the pad though.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins I think things have moved on from using chalk around the body lying in the road, as you don’t see that these days, but yes, almost certainly they calmly close the eyes then cover the face with a jacket. Then that shabby detective with a funny eye walks in saying ‘just one more thing’. ;)

@ContraryMaryMary I don’t care if getting a period is a ‘good thing’. I’ve had an implant for several years and it’s caused stoppage of my monthly bleed. I think that is the BEST THING EVER. the amount of money I’ve saved, the activities I can do, the trips I can take without getting caught out. Oh yes, bring it ON!!!

I had the implant, I lasted 11 months before I got it taken out. I was getting my period every 2 weeks - granted lighter and less pain, but that was driving me nuts. I also had increased appetite, like uncontrollable raging appetite every 2 weeks, and I completely lost my sex drive. Even just getting a hug from DH made my skin crawl. Took the implant out and it IMMEDIATELY got better. so yep its great for contraception but just wasn't right for me.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Y’all I’m back for some advice. Since it’s starting to get really cold, does anyone have any recommendations for good running jackets and warm running leggings/tights? Hopefully something that won’t break the bank too 😂

From my limited but rapidly expanding experience running in the cold, I would actually not recommend a running jacket at all. One of my very first running purchases was a very nice Brooks jacket and I almost never use it to run in, although I do use it as my primary winter coat, so it wasn't a wasted purchase, and I'm considering the vest version as my next big purchase. I've been much more comfortable with layers, though it's been an ongoing trial and error and sadly not cheap even though I buy stuff on sale as much as possible. I'd say the single best purchase I've made was a very lightweight windbreaker - if wind is a factor where you are, you can layer it on top of lots of other items in a lot of different temperatures and that can make a huge difference. I also definitely recommend experimenting with sleeves. I got a super cheap pair on Amazon that are actually sold as "cooling sleeves" but I guess they're also warmers? I don't even know. I love them, though.

One thing I've been struggling with that I've heard makes a big difference are base layers - I've been using the long-sleeve tech shirts I already have and have found that they're hit or miss for breathability. Leggings I'm struggling with as well - the ones that I've seen well reviewed are all in the $75-150 range and it's my butt that gets cold, not my legs. The one pair of insulated leggings I found on sale still left me with cold butt, sadly. Today I ran in my usual capris with wool leg warmers and was perfectly fine. Except my butt. Thankfully, I found a butt-coat on sale which should be delivered today so I'll definitely be reviewing that in the next few days!

ETA: Wow, I wrote the word "butt" a lot. Butt butt butt.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited November 2018
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins I think things have moved on from using chalk around the body lying in the road, as you don’t see that these days, but yes, almost certainly they calmly close the eyes then cover the face with a jacket. Then that shabby detective with a funny eye walks in saying ‘just one more thing’. ;)

My mom's roommate died in the bath and not only did the EMTs not cover her face, they were going to take her out of the apartment naked until my mom tossed a towel over her. :(