11/8: lazy
    11/9: lazy
    11/10: 4 miles
    11/11: lazy
    11/12: planned rest
    11/13: 3 miles
    TOTAL MILES RUN: 25

UPCOMING RACES
    November - 5 mile Bare Bones Turkey Trot (22nd)
    December -

COMPLETED RACES
    January - Frosty 5k
    February - Run for the Chocolate 5k
    March - Penguin in the Park 5k
    April - Lake Sara Dam 5k
    May - Run Through the Jungle 5k
    June - French Fried 5k
    July - Firecracker 5k
    August - Happy Birthday to Me virtual 10k
    September 7th - 5k Glow Run
    October - Illinois Homecoming 5k
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins sorry to hear about your crappy run! One thing that you might try is to put your training plan and your GPS aside and go out and run. Do pace goal, no distance goal. Just run how you feel in the moment. When I've done that I usually get refreshed and running is fun again.

For your temperature dilemma, it sounds like arm sleeves might be just the thing for you. You can pull them down as you warm up and and eventually take them off completely. They're very lightweight and easy to carry. Cheap too, at least over here. About US$7.00

@7lenny7 thanks, with under 4 weeks to go until my half I'm pretty much a slave to that darned plan right now, but this Sunday's long run is actually only 10k and the following weekend I'm really looking forward to, plan says 14km and I found the PERFECT trail for it up near where my mother lives (we'll be staying up there that weekend). So at least a couple of runs I'm looking forward too :-) We walked the trail one way last time we went up there and I was very disappointed we had to come home on the Saturday afternoon so I couldn't do my long run on it the next day.

I've pretty much promised myself a few plan and gps free weeks after that until Christmas (well actually I've promised my daughter we'll do a couple of weeks of C25k together as we're signed up for a fun run for hot chocolate and buns on December 28th). The difficult part will come after that, when I need to decide whether I'm going for another half marathon at the end of March and if so what kind of training plan I'm going to look for for that one. If I do I'll seriously consider adding more hills to my runs and/or looking into self-defence stuff so I can change the scenery at least!

Sleeves.... I'd read about them in passing on here but never really thought about them, not sure I've ever seen them here. Will have to investigate!

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    I am back from our little road trip north. I have to say I feel like a bad *kitten* having run in the cold in Reno and even colder in Boise! My last run in Boise it was 21F, 18F feels like, when we set out. Honestly it was just too cold for me as well as Hobbes who was shivering despite his jacket so we managed just under 3 miles and tried to stay in the sun as much as possible. The other runs on the trip were in the mid to high 20's and somehow felt cold initially and then fine. I think it was just such a treat to run in Boise in the park and along the river with the beautiful scenery! I wore my long tights, a long sleeved tech shirt with a down vest and a warm headband over my ears. It probably wasn't the smartest move with my foot but I figured it wasn't making it worse and Hobbes needed to get out. Walking hurts worse than running and running kept me warm - all good rationalizations right? I see the podiatrist this afternoon so we all see what she says.

Congratulations to everyone who ran this weekend, racing or not and all the PRs for distance and time. Also to anyone injured (@mobycarp, @katharmon, @sarahthes and anyone else I missed) I hope you are back to running soon!

@7lenny7 - I use a waist leash for Hobbes because it allows my arms to move freely and in a more natural position. He also sometimes stops suddenly but the leash is long enough that I notice before either of us gets yanked. I was wondering about the canicross and how that would affect his running at heel and from what the FB group has told me the dogs know the difference. When they have the canicross harness on they know they can pull and when they don't they fall into the normal heel position. The biggest issue is teaching them to pull when they have the harness on. Love the picture of Kody!
    @sarahthes - I have been told that an MRI is better for a suspected stress fracture unless it is a significant break it won't show up on an x-ray. That said my doctor ordered an x-ray too and it was negative but they called it inconclusive. My daughter said the x-ray was 'pointless'...
    @eleanorhawkins - Like @7lenny7, I was going to suggest sleeves as well. I love them for that in-between, might get too warm with long sleeves but too cold without period. They come in all types of fabrics so you can get thin ones or smart wool really warm ones... Also if the boardwalk is only a couple of miles away could you run to it, run along it and then run home? Or maybe have your husband meet you there? I also hate to drive to run... You might also change up your runs to add in a tempo or a HIIT run to change up the focus so it isn't just running for the distance. This could break up the monotony and have the added bonus of building up some speed.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    @Scott6255, @katharmonic, @Tramboman, @workaholic_nurse, @Orphia, @PastorVincent Thanks guys for the kind words! :blush:

@garygse Bravo on your marathon PB!!

I figure it's your PB, as even if you do a PB in an event, that doesn't compare to any other event, as they're all different and each one has different weather anyway, so how long is a piece of string?

You rock!

Say, you did this almost unfueled?

Do you believe in this "fat adaptation" stuff from the LCHF evangelists?

It seems to me you get better at longer distances and running on your fat reserves after glycogen is depleted by running longer distances, not so much by what you eat.

First, I've always believed in balanced diets, so no "high this, low that" or restrictive diets...just sensible portions of foods that for the most part deliver most of the required nutrients (that's not to say that I think these diets don't work...they're just not for me). So in that respect, I don't read up on any kind of diet, and had to look up fat adaptation. I can't say I'm sold on it...especially when the site I read contained lines like "this basic physiology appears to be lost on most doctors and dieticians [sic] worldwide" which just stinks of woo science if you ask me.

Personally, I think your last line is spot on.

edit: missed a name!

It is not "woo" science (as someone up thread said), look at people like @JessicaMcB who do it exclusively. The thing is though humans are a very biologically diverse species, far more than we give credit for, so not all things work as well for all people.

In general, each person needs to learn their body and work with it for best results.

The laws of physics do not work selectively. :smile:

Yes, you feel like crap when your glycogen is depleted. I'm not convinced ketoers don't feel like crap all the time.

The laws of physics are not the issue, biochemistry is. I spent years on LCHF and it was some of my healthiest years. I regained so much lost health and strength that it literally turned my life around medically. Diabetics pretty much have to live that way.

To say that everyone one reacts the same way to food is to turn a blind eye to medical science and common sense. I can eat a potato and register no blood spike on a meter, another person will register a major blood sugar spike. If my wife gets a nut, she chokes and could die, while I eat nuts daily. I am immune to novicane, while others are not. If I eat wheat, I get ill for WEEKS, and yet you probably eat all the bread you want without issue. My father drinks coffee to help him sleep, while others drink it to wake them up. If my wife drink DECAF coffee she cannot sleep right, never mind caffeinated. She has to take 1/2 to 1/3 the normal dose of medicines because she is a "slow metabolizer."

We are biologically and biochemically a diverse species. Medical science is clear on that. So while you personally do not like LCHF, that does not change that for a decent portion of the population it works well and better than the HCLF diet, or the so-called "balanced" diet that is 50% sugar.

Sure, drop us out of a plane without proper equipment and we all die - but give us all nuts and only some die. That is the difference between a law of physics like gravity, and biochemistry. :)

I'm not keeping up with this thread very well, so there may have been more discussion on this... but I eat zero carb (carnivore) and run. I'm not fast, but I'm faster than when I ate lots of carbs... that probably has more to do with weight and cardiovascular growth, though.

ETA:

Also there is this from another thread (thanks @alabasterverve )
    Zach Bitter (low carb athlete) set the record for the fastest recorded 100 mile trail run. (12:08:36)

"It kind of starts a week out for a goal race. First 4-5 days of week I go very low carb. 1-2 days out I bring back some carbs; usually in the form of potatoes, raw honey, melons berries. Race day I rely on body fat for fat burning energy and gradually use small amounts of carbs through the race." -Zach Bitter

Source
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 love that photo of Kody

And I forgot who keeps hitting the Done button inside of post reply I used to do it ALL the time. It really doesn't make a ton of sense since you can always see done but not post reply.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @shanaber speed demon knows walk, get it (go faster), left, right, stop, over. some are more traditional in their commands and use sled dog commands
    i would imagine it's just another command/knowing the harness to them. like "pull" or "out front"
    i can't really claim to know because i used it to harness their pulling tendencies. old gal needed a job before she was old and it was her job to pull me. otherwise she was lunging and barking and being a pain. for casual walks, i still have a head halter on her.
    speed demon is learning heel but isn't great at it because she doesn't want to be close to humans. even her human
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins - Like @7lenny7, I was going to suggest sleeves as well. I love them for that in-between, might get too warm with long sleeves but too cold without period. They come in all types of fabrics so you can get thin ones or smart wool really warm ones... Also if the boardwalk is only a couple of miles away could you run to it, run along it and then run home? Or maybe have your husband meet you there? I also hate to drive to run... You might also change up your runs to add in a tempo or a HIIT run to change up the focus so it isn't just running for the distance. This could break up the monotony and have the added bonus of building up some speed.

The boardwalk is accessible either by motorway or by swimming. Husband wouldn't approve of me running alongside the motorway and I don't like the sea even in the summer. In fact I think he'd probably reckon I'd have a better chance against a prospective racist/murderer than against heavy, high-speed traffic the other side of a tiny crash barrier on a notoriously dangerous stretch of motorway. Aha, maybe I just found the perfect thing to tell him if he tells me to stay away from the river trail! He's either at work or asleep when I run, usually. He came out with me a couple of times back when I was only doing a couple of miles at a time but then decided he would rather spend his time with his Playstation **sigh**
    Talking of which, he told me he had a dream last night that he was out running and I was behind him in a car yelling at him to run faster and then he fell over and broke his leg and I told him he was useless. Methinks he could be feeling a little threatened by my running.......
    I've checked online and it my nearest sports shop does seem to stock one type of sleeve... will have to go try them on though as according to the comments they only come in one size and a lot of people find them too big. If they are I guess I'll just go for the lightest long-sleeved running top they have.

When I see you all talking about running with your dogs (oh that photo @7lenny7 ) it makes me wish I had a four-legged running buddy. Then I remember I live in a small apartment and already complain about my daughter's two pet rabbits. Must look into borrowing someone else's dog to run with.

• mbaker566
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins
    some rescues or shelters look for people to run their high energy dogs. or just to get the dogs out of their kennels.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    @mbaker566 actually taking my animal-crazy daughter to volunteer to walk some at our nearest shelter is on my to-do list for this month, I guess I can always ask them. You don't usually see people running with dogs here, so I'm not sure they would be likely to have any that know how to not make us end up in a tangled heap on the floor but it's definitely something to investigate.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins mine have no idea either when we start. it's been challenging for my accident prone self :wink:
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @Scott6255, @katharmonic, @Tramboman, @workaholic_nurse, @Orphia, @PastorVincent Thanks guys for the kind words! :blush:

I figure it's your PB, as even if you do a PB in an event, that doesn't compare to any other event, as they're all different and each one has different weather anyway, so how long is a piece of string?

You rock!

It seems to me you get better at longer distances and running on your fat reserves after glycogen is depleted by running longer distances, not so much by what you eat.

First, I've always believed in balanced diets, so no "high this, low that" or restrictive diets...just sensible portions of foods that for the most part deliver most of the required nutrients (that's not to say that I think these diets don't work...they're just not for me). So in that respect, I don't read up on any kind of diet, and had to look up fat adaptation. I can't say I'm sold on it...especially when the site I read contained lines like "this basic physiology appears to be lost on most doctors and dieticians [sic] worldwide" which just stinks of woo science if you ask me.

It is not "woo" science (as someone up thread said), look at people like @JessicaMcB who do it exclusively. The thing is though humans are a very biologically diverse species, far more than we give credit for, so not all things work as well for all people.

In general, each person needs to learn their body and work with it for best results.

Yes, you feel like crap when your glycogen is depleted. I'm not convinced ketoers don't feel like crap all the time.

The laws of physics are not the issue, biochemistry is. I spent years on LCHF and it was some of my healthiest years. I regained so much lost health and strength that it literally turned my life around medically. Diabetics pretty much have to live that way.

To say that everyone one reacts the same way to food is to turn a blind eye to medical science and common sense. I can eat a potato and register no blood spike on a meter, another person will register a major blood sugar spike. If my wife gets a nut, she chokes and could die, while I eat nuts daily. I am immune to novicane, while others are not. If I eat wheat, I get ill for WEEKS, and yet you probably eat all the bread you want without issue. My father drinks coffee to help him sleep, while others drink it to wake them up. If my wife drink DECAF coffee she cannot sleep right, never mind caffeinated. She has to take 1/2 to 1/3 the normal dose of medicines because she is a "slow metabolizer."

We are biologically and biochemically a diverse species. Medical science is clear on that. So while you personally do not like LCHF, that does not change that for a decent portion of the population it works well and better than the HCLF diet, or the so-called "balanced" diet that is 50% sugar.

Sure, drop us out of a plane without proper equipment and we all die - but give us all nuts and only some die. That is the difference between a law of physics like gravity, and biochemistry. :)

I'm not keeping up with this thread very well, so there may have been more discussion on this... but I eat zero carb (carnivore) and run. I'm not fast, but I'm faster than when I ate lots of carbs... that probably has more to do with weight and cardiovascular growth, though.

ETA:

Zach Bitter (low carb athlete) set the record for the fastest recorded 100 mile trail run. (12:08:36)

"It kind of starts a week out for a goal race. First 4-5 days of week I go very low carb. 1-2 days out I bring back some carbs; usually in the form of potatoes, raw honey, melons berries. Race day I rely on body fat for fat burning energy and gradually use small amounts of carbs through the race." -Zach Bitter

Source

I'm intrigued by the zero-carb part of your comment! How long has it been since you've had carbs? It's amazing how our bodies work.

Thought/question: from Zach Bitter's quote and other things I've heard on various podcasts, I got the impression that a lot of the LCHF ultra runners add carbs back in for races (which doesn't make sense to me, if it works so great for them). Is it common for people to do that? Are they still a "low-carb runners" if they're doing that? ;)

Of course our bodies and medical issues are all so different, so if you find something that works, by all means go with it!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,804 Member
    Options
    Well done to all of you running and racing on ice and hip-deep mud etc etc. I am vainly trying to catch up with everyone's races, practice runs, injuries et al.

I did full body lifting two days ago. My upper half is fine but my legs have been sore so no running!
    I have been walking though. yesterday I used the arm crank for 20 minutes. Today I will walk to the gym (1.5 miles away) and do upper body lifting.
    And all of you cold weather peeps will hate me - it's 80 out here and 8% humidity.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Another eight *kitten* ugly character building kilometres this morning. I woke up in a funk this morning for some reason, brain came up with a million and one reasons not to go out and run. I think I need to find a new route, running basically the same route with slight changes to make it longer or shorter 3 or 4 times per week for over 2 months has now become pretty boring. Plus, as I'm a total novice and the majority of my runs are just easy runs to get the miles done, that makes it even more boring. And it's reached the point where if I go out in a T-shirt I'm cold for the first half hour or so, but if I take a jacket I get too hot and then having to carry a jacket pisses me off. Guess I need to look for a long-sleeved T-shirt to run in, but finances are really tight atm. Anyway, toyed with staying indoors and running on the treadmill but decided that would be even more boring, toyed with a new route but couldn't think of where to go that husband would approve of (he doesn't want me running on the deserted river trail or quiet streets..... I used to laugh at him but for some reason lately I have started to be wary of doing so too). In the end I gave myself a kick up the backside and a "quit finding excuses and go get it done" talking to and went and did it.
    Seemed to go on forever, and I had to bribe myself with a jelly baby after 20 minutes and another after 40 minutes, but got it done. After 6.5km I decided this was boring and I just wanted to get it over and done with, so my brain came up with the idea that if I ran faster I'd be finished sooner. Did around a kilometre of lamppost intervals.... led to me doing my fastest 5k this month according to Endomondo and shaving about 9 seconds per kilometre of my average pace for the whole run. I think my knees and shins will be telling my brain off for that bright idea later though!
    So I really need to find new places to run to stop the boredom beating me. There's a nice wooden boardwalk along the beach about a 15-20 minute drive away, but I don't think it's more than about 2-3 kilometres long and the thought of getting in the car and driving somewhere to run seems counterproductive to me. I HATE driving.

OMG @eleanorhawkins stop copying me!!! haha. I literally had the same thoughts yesterday (in a funk, didnt want to run) and today did 13k and mused about the fact I'm getting bored with my current routes but sadly i don't have any others available so I just have to suck it up.

Love you doing intervals, well done! Stretch stretch stretch!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @sarahthes - I have been told that an MRI is better for a suspected stress fracture unless it is a significant break it won't show up on an x-ray. That said my doctor ordered an x-ray too and it was negative but they called it inconclusive. My daughter said the x-ray was 'pointless'...

@shanaber yep x-ray is pretty much pointless, MRI is good, or nuclear medicine scan are also good. is your daughter a radiogrpher/radiologist?
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    So i got out and did 13k this morning. I have one more run, 5k on Friday, before my big day. And yes this is MY big day because I've been building to this all year. and I just found out we get medals! Didn't know that. so excited.

Today's run was great, much better than yesterdays, I think I'm starting to prefer longer runs, 8k minimum these days. though 13k before work is a bit of a challenge, I was up at 5 instead of 5:20. and I kept my pace slower. Still not as slow as it should be but slower. oh well. Rest tomorrow, and I will rest, probably go for a gentle walk and stretch/roll in the evening. will see.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

You rock!

ETA:

Source

<snip>

Thought/question: from Zach Bitter's quote and other things I've heard on various podcasts, I got the impression that a lot of the LCHF ultra runners add carbs back in for races (which doesn't make sense to me, if it works so great for them). Is it common for people to do that? Are they still a "low-carb runners" if they're doing that? ;)

</snip>

I don't know what a lot do or don't do but here's some more information about Zach Bitter's nutrition - he's absolutely a low carb runner, IMO. If someone is adding back in carbs they're ensuring their glycogen stores are replenished. It seems like a careful balance for Zach and he's aiming for the best of both worlds - preserving the ability to readily and easily use body fat while utilizing carbs strategically.

He has a four part series, Periodizing Nutrition, on his blog if anyone is genuinely interested.
    "A question a frequently get when discussing nutrition is, "how many carbs do you eat", or "what are your macronutrient ratios?" Much like training volume and intensity it depends. It depends greatly on my current training target. The way I like to preface an answer to this question is by explaining that it reflects my lifestyle at the moment. If I did the exact same workout everyday then the answer would be much more cut and dry, but when peaking for an A race this simply isn't the case for me. Some days I am training very hard and metabolizing 2-3 times my resting metabolic rate, while other days I am in complete recovery and doing very little physical activity. This amount of fluctuation in energy demand requires a variance in nutrition."
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

You rock!

ETA:

Source

I'm intrigued by the zero-carb part of your comment! How long has it been since you've had carbs? It's amazing how our bodies work.

Of course our bodies and medical issues are all so different, so if you find something that works, by all means go with it!

Most LCHF runners that I know (small sample size) do not do this, but I do not know Zach Bitter so can not speak for him.