What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited November 2018
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Kashi cereal is like chewing cardboard. Shredded wheat is like eating hay. Grapenuts are gravel in (barely) edible form.

Golden Grahams all the way! Chex are also acceptable, but not wheat. Corn or rice (or a mix of both). But regular serving sizes of any cereal are pitiful, so I usually don't eat it.

That's how I felt about the Fiber One Cereal.

I can eat Fiber One cereal dry, but as soon as it touches something wet (yogurt or milk) it takes on a mushy texture that makes me gag :sick:
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Oatmeal is disgusting no matter how much crap you put in it to try to make it taste better.

I don't think it's quite THAT bad but I don't like it much, either. When people post on MFP about eating their oatmeal plain or with just some sugar/sweetener it makes me want to gag. It reminds me of wet cardboard texture and has very little flavor. I do eat it, usually with a spoonful each of peanut butter and jam. But without at least that much to flavor it...no thanks!

I always can't believe when people say they love it just plain without anything. I agree, and such a waste of calories. I don't think it is that bad cooked up the right way like with lots of blueberries cooked in, sweetener, cinnamon, topped with maple almond butter, but plain.....gag.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited November 2018
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Oatmeal is disgusting no matter how much crap you put in it to try to make it taste better.

I don't think it's quite THAT bad but I don't like it much, either. When people post on MFP about eating their oatmeal plain or with just some sugar/sweetener it makes me want to gag. It reminds me of wet cardboard texture and has very little flavor. I do eat it, usually with a spoonful each of peanut butter and jam. But without at least that much to flavor it...no thanks!

I only like oatmeal with dinosaur eggs in it, when you pour in the hot water they hatch 😁 🦖🦖🦖
    ox3rcblzc0p0.jpeg

They still make these?! I loved these as a kid. I may have to go buy a box.

HAHA! I love this kind and I still buy it because it reminds me of childhood and also tastes fantastic. In fact I have a box in my pantry right now!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    lalee115 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

My dad ate Grape Nuts when I was a kid. I never understood it.

Grape Nuts, yum! I particularly liked to eat it mixed in yogurt.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited November 2018
    Kashi cereal is like chewing cardboard. Shredded wheat is like eating hay. Grapenuts are gravel in (barely) edible form.

Golden Grahams all the way! Chex are also acceptable, but not wheat. Corn or rice (or a mix of both). But regular serving sizes of any cereal are pitiful, so I usually don't eat it.

I can eat Fiber One cereal dry, but as soon as it touches something wet (yogurt or milk) it takes on a mushy texture that makes me gag :sick:

My problem with Fiber One isn't eating it; getting it in is not a problem, but getting it out is something altogether different. Kind of odd as fiber is supposed to "keep things moving" but Fiber One is a road block.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

My problem with Fiber One isn't eating it; getting it in is not a problem, but getting it out is something altogether different. Kind of odd as fiber is supposed to "keep things moving" but Fiber One is a road block.

TBH I've only ever eaten it for the express purpose of fulfilling my fiber goal (something I struggle with since I'm not a volume eater and will tend toward higher fat than extra fruits and veggies if left to my own devices). It seems to do what one typically expects fiber to do, for me though :flushed:
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Processed food is not the devil.

Protein bars are just glorified, overpriced candy bars with no real nutritional value.

Except for, uh, the protein. :)

Some days the only way I get enough protein is by disguising some of it as a carb. The Pure Protein Salted Caramel Chocolate bars are a slightly overpriced (often $1 apiece, which is not bad for 20g of protein from any source) candy bar for me; I really do enjoy that particular flavor of that brand enough to choose it as a snack.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Processed food is not the devil.

Protein bars are just glorified, overpriced candy bars with no real nutritional value.

Except for, uh, the protein. :)

*siiiiiigh* 🙄 I’m aware of that. I guess I shouldn’t have added my sentence. I meant that they’re touted as “healthy” because of their protein content, but a lot of them contain the same amount of sugar and calories as a regular sized snickers bar. I rather just eat a snickers tbh.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    White carbs are not good

I had some turnips with my breakfast, yum!
  • skinnyheather
    skinnyheather Posts: 38 Member
    I hate black pepper
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    White carbs are not good

I had some turnips with my breakfast, yum!

I always forget about turnips because the market I go to regularly doesn't carry them. I have to make a trip over to the one that does. I love them roasted.