• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited November 2018
    oops, double post, didn't think my edit made it into my previous post :#
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »
    So..

You are at the gym, there are 50 empty treadmills.
    You jump on the one about halfway through. Another person walks over and gets on the one next to you, ignoring the 48 other empty choices.

Annoying? Or am I too much of an introvert?

That happened to me the other night and I wondered why. Turns out some sports event was on TV that the guy next to me wanted to watch and could only do so on the machines by me.
  • ImSoSquishy
    ImSoSquishy Posts: 57 Member
    yeah it's annoying, it's more annoying when you constantly see them looking at your control panel to check your speed so they can try to one-up you or try to start a conversation too.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I used to go to a gym with about 20 completely identical treadmills, all in perfect working order, all the same make and model, all with personal TV screens, all looking out a second-floor window onto a street.

Every. single. morning, when I and one or two other people were the only people using them, someone would come to use the one right next to me, no matter which one I was on. The other ones would remain empty for the duration of my workout since I was there before the morning rush.

It was absolutely infuriating and it was also completely baffling since there was absolutely no reason to select one over another. I used a different one every day to prove this to myself.

I quit the gym and bought my own to use in the winter because I'm an antisocial weirdo and it drove me up the wall to constantly have some rando so close to me when it wasn't necessary.
    That’s when it’s time to start eating a big bowl of chili, some cabbage and a couple hard boiled eggs for dinner the night before the gym. See how dedicated they really are to taking that treadmill next to you.

Bwahahaha!

When I first got serious about lifting I used to work out with these three pro bodybuilders who would crop dust people in the heavy weight room if they were taking up space. Funny stuff to see someone in the heavy room trying to attract a mate and have it really go wrong.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Get your own treadmill in your own space, away from my space. Luckily, all the treadmills at my club have TVs and we have over 50 treadmills, in addition to a lot of other cardio equipment. Every so often I'll see something weird happening, but our members seem to have a decent gym etiquette.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Spadhnik wrote: »
    I was overweight (I am still ow) and I was brisk walking on treadmill when there were many left empty. Two really fit girls (they were friends) came and took treadmill on either side of mine. And they were running while I in middle just walking.... I don’t know if that was on purpose but very uncomfortable for me!!

That’s so weird. One time a couple moms brought their tween sons up to run on the treadmills and put one on either side of me. It was really awkward especially since the moms would be chatting with each other during this. I even asked one of them if they wanted me to switch with their son so they could be next to each other and she said no. :|
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    yeah it's annoying, it's more annoying when you constantly see them looking at your control panel to check your speed so they can try to one-up you or try to start a conversation too.

Yes, I hate when they start peering at my controls...
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I don't understand the problem.
    Spadhnik wrote: »
    I was overweight (I am still ow) and I was brisk walking on treadmill when there were many left empty. Two really fit girls (they were friends) came and took treadmill on either side of mine. And they were running while I in middle just walking.... I don’t know if that was on purpose but very uncomfortable for me!!

The only person against whom you're competing is yourself. I have heard, here, the comparison is the thief of joy. It really makes no difference what anyone else is doing in the gym. The only person with whom you should be concerned is you.

Plug in your ears, and mind your workout. It's not like they are getting onto your dreadmill to share. So what if they are trying to "one up" you? How does that effect your workout? If they try to start a conversation and you are just to antisocial to comply, that's what ear buds are for. Just nod an acknowledgment and continue on your own.

O,P. why is it annoying? Isn't there enough room on your treadmill for you? Do other people really effect your sense of being that much? What they are doing should have no effect on what you do. Go to the gym, get YOUR work in, go home and enjoy life. I don't understand the problem. Now if they had tried to commandeer YOUR treadmill, that would be something annoying.

It annoyed me because:

1) I'm a geeky introvert. (I'm an engineer.) I despise anyone trying to talk to me at the gym.
    2) Before starting her treadmill, she took some time bending over pretending to do something with her shoes, but I could feel her eyes on me looking me over.
    3) She looked my controls over after starting her machine.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I was reading this and enjoying the comments and then I thought--first world problems!
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    when I used to go gym I ALWAYS used the same machine, the one at the very end, nearest the fire exit.
    not so I had a quick get away if there was a fire :D but because there were no machine behind it, just the floor where people doing free weights, squats and some times classes going on.
    I hated the thought of someone being right behind me (thats not just at the gym thats everywhere I go) and I liked watching people on the floor in the mirror. helped me sort my form out on a few things I was not so good at.

once, at 11pm I was the only person on the treadmil and there was a handful of people upstairs on the weight machine and stuff up there when a bloke arrived at the gym, now this bloke was possibly the most good looking fitest bloke Id ever seen.
    so I was not happy when this adonis casually walks over passing 8 empty machines and gets on the one next to me, the short fat girl with a bright red face (it was my last thing to do and had been there almost 2 hours)

he looks at me in the mirror, smiles and says hi. then starts his machine.

Im pretty sure my already red face tured several shades redder! and then felt so awkward as didnt know where to look, in the miorror..looked like I was watching him....which was actually very nice to look at, couldnt see the tv very well from where I was either so I ended up putting my other ear phone in, turned my music up and carried on but looking at my feet in mirror so I didnt make eye contact with him and if I acidentally did he gave me a massive smile
    I cut my session short by 15mins and left (he said see ya as I was getting off the machine)

it was the sort of awkward Id feel if doing weights and Eddie Hall suddenly walked in and started working out next me :D

Oh hon--WHY did you pass up this opportunity?

married :D

LOL Good reason!