Gym Protocol

Replies

• katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »
    So..

You are at the gym, there are 50 empty treadmills.
    You jump on the one about halfway through. Another person walks over and gets on the one next to you, ignoring the 48 other empty choices.

Annoying? Or am I too much of an introvert?

I wouldn't be annoyed. I am usually flattered because it makes me think I may motivate their routine. I tend to work out near people, machine-wise, for this reason. It helps psych me up and stay focused.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »
    So..

You are at the gym, there are 50 empty treadmills.
    You jump on the one about halfway through. Another person walks over and gets on the one next to you, ignoring the 48 other empty choices.

Annoying? Or am I too much of an introvert?

I have my ONE favorite treadmill out of all the empty treadmills around. If someone is on the treadmill next to my favorite I am working out next to them. They either deal with it or move. Cuz I am not moving!!! LOL!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,717 Member
    The only time it bothers me if someone is on a nearby treadmill (and this doesn't have to be the one next to me) is if someone's footsteps are loud and also a different cadence from mine. Yesterday the combined cadence sounds (hers and mine) made me dizzy so I went to another treadmill in another block of treadmills. Problem solved.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »
    The only time it bothers me if someone is on a nearby treadmill (and this doesn't have to be the one next to me) is if someone's footsteps are loud and also a different cadence from mine. Yesterday the combined cadence sounds (hers and mine) made me dizzy so I went to another treadmill in another block of treadmills. Problem solved.

TBH, I'm probably the person you had to get away from - my feet slap down pretty heavy and I know I make a lot of noise. Frankly, I just had to get over being self-conscious about it - I run how I run. I've seen other posts where people complain about people running too loudly on the treadmill and when I just started I thought I was being rude (even stopped running a couple of times when someone next to me was running faster so I wouldn't disturb them), but I've realized that there's no actual protocol for how loud you're allowed to be on the treadmill :)

I do find it distracting when someone gets on the treadmill next to me and starts talking loudly on their phone while walking. I don't know why this bothers me more than 2 people having a conversation right next to me at the same volume, and clearly this is my problem not theirs, but it's definitely one of my pet peeves.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    There's a simple solution if it bothers you.....buy your own treadmill. No matter what gym you belong to you will find yourself in close proximity to other people, some of them creepy some of them not. I have a favourite bike at my tri club and, if it's available will use it no matter the number of people showing up for that class (may be slightly different in that we tend to get to know each other over time)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "it dont mean I have to be friendly with every single stranger I see in the shop" And, thus, the world goes to hell in a hand basket. There may, or may not, be global warming but, as a society, we sure are getting colder.

Damn dude, she said she has suffered from depression and social anxiety for years. That's a medical condition that is extremely difficult to live with and makes what seem like simple, everyday tasks seem monumental. You don't have to understand what it feels like but you do need to learn some empathy. It can't just be turned off.

YES!
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited November 2018
    I'm an introvert, although not as much as you it seems. It doesn't bother me. Also doesn't bother me if people talk to me at the gym - I'd say the majority of people, at my gym at least, have enough etiquette to not be having 5 minute long conversations. Though I am bad at conversing with people I don't know well, so probably not getting more than a few words from me. I go to a local community style gym, so people saying "hi" or "good morning" to each other is a bit common.