November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    Thank you!! I will def take a look. I have been trying to just extend my distance a little each run, but nothing official. I am near Atlanta, so yes - In the USA and the holidays are unfortunately here (I am a Scrooge that doesn’t like the holidays)

I have a scheduled 10k on 12/8 and another in January.

NOT FAST BUT NOT LAST!!! That is my motto 😆

I love Georgia! We lived in Marietta for a few years way back. My dream would be to move to the Savannah area. Love the people and omg the FOOD!

I also am a scrooge for the holidays! I think its because they were never great growing up, and i lack that association most people have. And to buy stuff? Nah. I aint buying stuff. I'm keeping my money.

We work in Marietta and Kennesaw. We live about an hour north, but no one has ever heard of Ellijay 😂. Although, we did make Readers Digest too 10 small towns to live in....
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Well I didn't get out to run today but Kody did. I posted in on our local trail running group FB page and just threw it out there that Kody would love it if someone could take him for a run. Today a guy from our town but whom I've never met before came by and took him out for 6 miles. They both had a great time and he said he'd love to take Kody out again. He and I seemed to click and I suspect I'll be running with him when I'm back in the saddle. Kody is chillin' right now, taking a post run nap.

Hey that is awesome!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    11/1 - 0 km
    11/2 - 12 miles
    11/3 - 0 km
    11/4 - 13.1 km
    11/5 - 0km
    11/6 - 8.5 miles
    11/7 - 12 miles
    11/8 - 10 miles
    11/9 - Escape Room - 0km
    11/10 - 1 hr @ 6.5 mph 3% grade
    11/11 - 11 miles.
    11/12 - Cardologist appoint bah
    11/13 - Blasted Google ruined everything
    11/14 - 11 miles
    11/15 - 0 km
    11/16 - 12.5 miles
    11/17 - 9 miles. Bah.

Upcoming Races:

Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

--More as I find them - need to find a nice trail race

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    Good job @Scott6255 on your half today and your mileage for the year. When are you doing your marathon? Is it in the spring?

Thanks. My marathon is January 20th.
    Looks like you had a nice run, passing by many historical sites.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @PastorVincent is that your only shirt? Would a different shirt give those welts a break and let you continue to run? I'm sure you've already considered it.

@AprilRN10 in what way are you not recovering well?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    Thank you!! I will def take a look. I have been trying to just extend my distance a little each run, but nothing official. I am near Atlanta, so yes - In the USA and the holidays are unfortunately here (I am a Scrooge that doesn’t like the holidays)

I have a scheduled 10k on 12/8 and another in January.

NOT FAST BUT NOT LAST!!! That is my motto 😆

I love Georgia! We lived in Marietta for a few years way back. My dream would be to move to the Savannah area. Love the people and omg the FOOD!

I also am a scrooge for the holidays! I think its because they were never great growing up, and i lack that association most people have. And to buy stuff? Nah. I aint buying stuff. I'm keeping my money.

Just for you too then... Merry Christmas Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve!

I dont get it.

Christmas Eve is the day before Christmas.
    Christmas Eve Eve is the day before the day before Christmas.
    And so on.

Ohhhh... I see. Haha! Thats funny!!!!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Great job on your half @Scott6255 !
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent is that your only shirt? Would a different shirt give those welts a break and let you continue to run? I'm sure you've already considered it.

It is my only cold weather shirt. Possible issues at this point:

1) The shirt is fine, and it was the top layer I had on that was a problem but I have run in that combination last year without issues
    2) The shirt is too big for me. I have lost weight but did not think that much
    3) The shirt is worn out.

But my back right now is an angry red mess. So I need to think of something. Might have to run with summer gear on the dreadmill for a week. Not sure. Once back is better I plan to go for a run with only the one shirt and see how things go. That will at least eliminate #1.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @pastorvincent as someone who ends up with weird contact allergies... have you changed any laundry substances in the last year??

Laundry soaps, deodorants, etc for me can be ok for a while, until they aren’t. It isn’t always a first time use reaction, sometimes it will be a cumulative effect (which long sleeves vs short sleeves.... or layers adding weight, and thus contact, can be the last straw on that cumulatively effect, for me).... and once those things aren’t ok.... it takes a while for skin to be happy again.

I had one a couple years ago... I still don’t know if it was the laundry soap I had while traveling, or the deodorant... or a combo of the two along with heat... but I finally had to get a prescription strength make my skin happy again cream to get rid of the welts, because it didn’t clear up after over a month of very careful product choice.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options

It is my only cold weather shirt. Possible issues at this point:

1) The shirt is fine, and it was the top layer I had on that was a problem but I have run in that combination last year without issues
    2) The shirt is too big for me. I have lost weight but did not think that much
    3) The shirt is worn out.

But my back right now is an angry red mess. So I need to think of something. Might have to run with summer gear on the dreadmill for a week. Not sure. Once back is better I plan to go for a run with only the one shirt and see how things go. That will at least eliminate #1.

That happened to me too with my back pack freaking hurts especially during a shower!!! 🙁
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo Congratulations on your HM! Awesome time and loved the photos.

@ContraryMaryMary Wow, that sounded like a very tough race. Congratulations and well done!

@Scott6255 Congratulations on your sub 2 half! Amazing!

@Elise4270 Those Old Navy fleece-lined tights are warm and cozy. I preferred the more expensive ones I got from the running store only because the Old Navy tights seemed to fall down a bit since they aren't quite long enough for my legs (32" inseam). I'd say they are a great value and would be perfect for anyone with a regular inseam.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November goal. ?

11/1-11/5 preparing for travel. travel. recover from travel. In Arizona visiting MIL
    11/6 8.25 at Rio Vista Park....slow/DRY warm miles
    11/7 played cards. Ate. Played cards. Did chores for MIL. Ate
    11/8 2.0
    11/9 more travel
    11/10 3.24 (plus a whole he!! of a lot of walking in Vegas to get to and from the race site...)
    11/11 6.08 (?short course. There weren't THAT many tangents to cut distance on....)
    11/12 more travel
    11/13 snorkel 4.5 hours
    11/14 screaming glutes
    11/15 3.30
    11/16 2.30
    11/17 3.00 I am having a lot of glute/thigh crease pain both at rest and with activity. The doc in me says it's fine-just overuse, the hypochondriac says it's some horrible impingement syndrome.....the practical me says I'm taking the next few days off....

Total: 28.17
    @Avidkeo @Scott6255 @ContraryMaryMary Great job!
    @7lenny7 what a great thing to have someone run Kody for you
    @Elise4270 I now have a fifth person for our January relay. So only ~6 "easy" miles each....all uphill!

Upcoming races:
    Nov. 10/11, 2018 Las Vegas Rock 'n Roll 5k and10k
    January 4, 2019 Hilo to Volcano Ultra 50k Relay. In memory of @keeprunningfatboy

Ticker is my goal for 2018 and progress to date:

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks @RunRachelleRun ! I cant wait to buy needed running gear! I just have to get to the "need" part of it.. maybe the running part too. :blush: i think my inseam is 30...

I have some cheap target pants that are warm, maybe too hot, and the fit seems all wrong. So i usually run in my nike pants that cost a pretty penny but are worth it. Not fit issues.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    @pastorvincent as someone who ends up with weird contact allergies... have you changed any laundry substances in the last year??

Laundry soaps, deodorants, etc for me can be ok for a while, until they aren’t. It isn’t always a first time use reaction, sometimes it will be a cumulative effect (which long sleeves vs short sleeves.... or layers adding weight, and thus contact, can be the last straw on that cumulatively effect, for me).... and once those things aren’t ok.... it takes a while for skin to be happy again.

I had one a couple years ago... I still don’t know if it was the laundry soap I had while traveling, or the deodorant... or a combo of the two along with heat... but I finally had to get a prescription strength make my skin happy again cream to get rid of the welts, because it didn’t clear up after over a month of very careful product choice.

I did change soaps, a couple months to go. We moved to a new house and have a new HE washer and soft water so none of the old clothes washing practices worked at all. So I did consider this, but why would it ONLY be my back and not my arms and legs too?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent the long term solution is clear. Buy more running gear! More cold weather tops in particular.

High up on my list to try is replace my Cold Gear top, but since I longer work for Dicks Sporting Goods and have to pay full retail now... ugh.