Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    November goal.

11/1-11/5 preparing for travel. travel. recover
    11/17 3.00 I am having a lot of glute/thigh crease pain both at rest and with activity. The doc in me says it's fine-just overuse, the hypochondriac says it's some horrible impingement syndrome.....the practical me says I'm taking the next few days off....

@Elise4270 I now have a fifth person for our January relay. So only ~6 "easy" miles each....all uphill!

Upcoming races:
    Nov. 10/11, 2018 Las Vegas Rock 'n Roll 5k and10k
    January 4, 2019 Hilo to Volcano Ultra 50k Relay. In memory of @keeprunningfatboy

Yay!!! I'll take easy! I'm sooo happy about that! I just gotta keep Eric from hurting himself on his first marathon mid December! I still need to get us registered. I'll get that done tomorrow.

I think we are leaning towards getting a room the whole week there. Eric pointed out that with both of our aches and pains (he has arthritis in his mid spine and neck) camping maybe more than our older bones can can take. I agreed. I think hes supposed get something booked this week.

I think your butt pain is likely high hamstring tendenosis. Or the beginning of. Yes. Overuse. I had it on show up on my MRI, butt it wasnt addressed... So seems best to rest it. Mine seems to flare up, but then everything flares up nowadays - look at me. I'm 85. Get a good hiney massage and pamper that tush :blush:
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I am doing alright. I just feel a bit worn out still. Short recovery runs are not really enjoyable to me. I prefer longer distances. Therefore since I am not feeling it while running, I feel in a funk. Does that make sense? It's more mental than physical.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - I’ve had it be only my armpits, only my hip, only my shins, only my back- and at least one time one time the only the armpits was detergent, and not deodorant... All makes “free” or “clear”..don’t remember what they call their fragrance and dye free version...HE washer pods... current house has an he washer, which I have also been trying to figure out... but so far *fingers crossed* the all pods have treated me like the regular detergent.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - can you get DREFT up there. White bottle with a pink label that has a baby on it. It is hypoallergenic and made for babies. Considering how your pores open when you run, dermatitis could be the culprit.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Didn't you report an irritated back from a running clothing mishap a few days ago? Could it be that same irritation, not healing and being re-irritated when it would have been fine if the skin started healthy?

I get a small irritation where my HRM buckles, sometimes. Usually it happens with rain or heavy sweat and wearing the HRM for over an hour. But once it's irritated, the HRM re-irritates it under more benign conditions. I end up putting a band aid on that spot under the HRM until it heals up.

I understand what's going on with your back is probably bigger than a band aid; but you might try vaseline on the irritated areas before putting a shirt on. Then put a known non-irritating warm weather shirt as the bottom layer.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Didn't you report an irritated back from a running clothing mishap a few days ago? Could it be that same irritation, not healing and being re-irritated when it would have been fine if the skin started healthy?

I get a small irritation where my HRM buckles, sometimes. Usually it happens with rain or heavy sweat and wearing the HRM for over an hour. But once it's irritated, the HRM re-irritates it under more benign conditions. I end up putting a band aid on that spot under the HRM until it heals up.

I understand what's going on with your back is probably bigger than a band aid; but you might try vaseline on the irritated areas before putting a shirt on. Then put a known non-irritating warm weather shirt as the bottom layer.

Yes, I did, and that is healing, but this is the entire rest of my back. Also, I am wondering if that really was a clothing mishap and not just an early indicator of bigger issues. I am not posting a picture, but if I did you might think I had been whipped.

Coating the back in vaseline might work but is that safe for open wounds?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - I’ve had it be only my armpits, only my hip, only my shins, only my back- and at least one time one time the only the armpits was detergent, and not deodorant... All makes “free” or “clear”..don’t remember what they call their fragrance and dye free version...HE washer pods... current house has an he washer, which I have also been trying to figure out... but so far *fingers crossed* the all pods have treated me like the regular detergent.

That is really stinking odd. Hrm. I have never had any skin allergies before, but that can change. Bah.
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - can you get DREFT up there. White bottle with a pink label that has a baby on it. It is hypoallergenic and made for babies. Considering how your pores open when you run, dermatitis could be the culprit.

Yes, we can get Dreft. I think all major grocery stores in the US carry it. I could get that, but need to make sure it is rated for HE washers and soft water first. Currently, I am using Seventh Generation laundry detergent, their free and clear variety. I got it because it was highly rated for dealing with gym clothes.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent With your long hair, you may want to also consider if you have changed your shampoo/conditioner recently. One or both could be causing irritation to your back.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @mobycarp - I have the same issue with my HRM where the adjustment clip is. Instead of bandaids on me I ended up wrapping a piece of moleskin over the metal. It has stayed put for months now and I don't have to irritate my skin pulling the bandaids off.

Costco also makes a 'free and clear' HE laundry detergent.

@HonuNui and @Elise4270 - the only way I got rid of my high hamstring soreness was rest, not doing hamstring stretches and doing hip and glute strengthening exercises (glute bridges, side planks and dog leg raises, etc.)
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary - your photos are beautiful!!! I’m still learning folks here. Are you in NZ?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary gosh what a great looking place to run!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent With your long hair, you may want to also consider if you have changed your shampoo/conditioner recently. One or both could be causing irritation to your back.

My hair is nowhere near as long as it used to be. It bearly touches my shoulders now, and it has gotten thinner for some reason :rolleyes: - but I have not changed hair products at all recently.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

@HonuNui and @Elise4270 - the only way I got rid of my high hamstring soreness was rest, not doing hamstring stretches and doing hip and glute strengthening exercises (glute bridges, side planks and dog leg raises, etc.)

I definitely agree with that. It seemed the more aggressive i got with hamstring stretching, the worse it got. I think mine is definitely linked to hip strength and gait from well, probably lazy posture.