November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Ran my 5k turkey trot yesterday and I'm rather annoyed with myself because I could have done better than I did. There were about 650 runners and someone had very sensibly put pacing signs out so that people could seed themselves. Except I was probably the only person who heeded them and ended up stuck behind loads of people who actually only wanted to walk or run a darn sight slower than where they seeded themselves. Totally my own fault; I should have put myself much nearer the front.

After doing a load of dodging and weaving, I thought never mind, I'll be able to overtake a few more people once we get on to Commonwealth Avenue. They don't close the road (that's only done for the marathon) but the cycle path is coned off for the runners and it's pretty wide. Except we've had lots of snow and it was all shoveled into the bike path which meant we were all running in single file and there was no way of overtaking.

And if that wasn't bad enough, my Garmin decided it couldn't find a GPS signal, so I was running by feel and trying to guess my pace. All I knew was that I wasn't as fast I usually am. My time was a good minute slower than I had planned and I came 5th in my age-group. If I had started nearer the front and hit my stride earlier, I'm pretty certain I would have placed and would have been in with a shot of first place.

Ah well, it was still good fun. And I got a very nice finishers' medal.

jmwq041se81g.jpg

It seems like "fun" 5ks which attract a lot of non-runners always have this issue! Why do walkers ignore the announcement to line up at the back? My theory is that walking causes deafness, or maybe low I.Q. I've started just lining up at the front. I have a few truly fast people pass me, but it's easier for them to pass me than some walker who would not pull to the right, etc.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent If you know someone with a Costco card, I've had good luck finding Cold Gear stuff there.

My husband gets weird welts sometimes which turned out to be a stress issue - it's an autoimmune thing. They come and go. It does sound like the laundry swap over is the most likely culprit in your case.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Options
    @zdyb23456 ! Great job on your HM! Congrats on your PR!!! You killed it.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    @ContraryMaryMary - your photos are beautiful!!! I’m still learning folks here. Are you in NZ?

Yes. Waihi gorge is a couple of hours south from Auckland where I live.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 Great race despite the other runners. I have learned to line up with the to runners. I am often only a stride or two behind the starting line. I sprint out with them, and then pull to the far outside, dropping back to race pace. This has gotten me PR after PR and free from the chaos that is the normal popular 5k start. I pretty much tell everyone to line up much closer than you think you should be, because everyone else is doing it. :)

@zdyb23456 PR!!! W00T! THERE IT IS! YAY!!!

@MegaMooseEsq Ugh. Sorry, take some "me" time and recover. Ask your partner to run defense for a little while.

@ContraryMaryMary I would run that! If could only find someone to sponsor me and cover all expense including lost time at work... not likely! :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    No run today, as planned, but glad it was planned. I doubt I could run anyways. I too am dangerously low on spoons. There needs to be a spoon library where you can borrow some in a pinch. :(
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary I would run that! If could only find someone to sponsor me and cover all expense including lost time at work... not likely! :)

You totally should, although you’d have to do the full marathon distance to justify the expense!

If you’re really clever, you’d come for a few weeks and do three or four different events - we have so many awesome ones on at this time of the year.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    After an hour-and-a-half in an Epsom salt bath, some time with the foam roller and 10 hours sleep, I woke this morning feeling tired!! However, I'm happy to report that while my legs are still spent and do not like walking downhill at all, my calf which had me limping horribly at the end of the race yesterday, seems to be perfectly fine.

Child and husband-free, I took a very long (and humid) walk this morning along my regular running route to help loosen my legs. For once, I had my phone with me so I took some snaps (of the prettier parts along the waterfront, the rest is suburbia). I enjoyed a quiet and relaxing day. Chaos has subsequently resumed, but it's bedtime for small girls in an hour so I'll cope.
    1brr09a6kkj1.jpg

6o078j27ehj2.jpg

takdd367hdas.jpg

bvylj7rhjtgp.jpeg
    Got a few photos from the offical event photographers which show some of the beautiful terrain we ran in yesterday. Unsurprisingly, there weren't any photographers at the tops of the hills, so the first photo is from a few kilometres in, and the second (the river ford) about 2km from the end. The third is just after I crossed the finish line - the woman I'm chatting to had twisted her foot about the same time I did mine, a little further down the same descent, and we had limped the final 10km commiserating and checking on each other as we passed every once in a while (she was better downhill, I was better going up).
    nihnfl07dlu7.jpg

rxz0kjxpmdou.jpg

vmtxww3x7vu0.jpg

And no photos of bling as this race is old school and the only ones to get medals were the winners - overall male and female winners in each of the four events. Nobody else. We just got to drive the 2.5 hours home in a state of happy and aching exhaustion!!!

Dude. Check out the blood pouring down the leg of the lady behind you at the river crossing! My ex-Ranger husband's remark: "Those people are doing that and they aren't even in the Army!"

I was so excited to get to see blood and gore... 😞 eh its a boo boo.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    After an hour-and-a-half in an Epsom salt bath, some time with the foam roller and 10 hours sleep, I woke this morning feeling tired!! However, I'm happy to report that while my legs are still spent and do not like walking downhill at all, my calf which had me limping horribly at the end of the race yesterday, seems to be perfectly fine.

Child and husband-free, I took a very long (and humid) walk this morning along my regular running route to help loosen my legs. For once, I had my phone with me so I took some snaps (of the prettier parts along the waterfront, the rest is suburbia). I enjoyed a quiet and relaxing day. Chaos has subsequently resumed, but it's bedtime for small girls in an hour so I'll cope.
    1brr09a6kkj1.jpg

6o078j27ehj2.jpg

takdd367hdas.jpg

bvylj7rhjtgp.jpeg
    Got a few photos from the offical event photographers which show some of the beautiful terrain we ran in yesterday. Unsurprisingly, there weren't any photographers at the tops of the hills, so the first photo is from a few kilometres in, and the second (the river ford) about 2km from the end. The third is just after I crossed the finish line - the woman I'm chatting to had twisted her foot about the same time I did mine, a little further down the same descent, and we had limped the final 10km commiserating and checking on each other as we passed every once in a while (she was better downhill, I was better going up).
    nihnfl07dlu7.jpg

rxz0kjxpmdou.jpg

vmtxww3x7vu0.jpg

And no photos of bling as this race is old school and the only ones to get medals were the winners - overall male and female winners in each of the four events. Nobody else. We just got to drive the 2.5 hours home in a state of happy and aching exhaustion!!!

Dude. Check out the blood pouring down the leg of the lady behind you at the river crossing! My ex-Ranger husband's remark: "Those people are doing that and they aren't even in the Army!"

I was so excited to get to see blood and gore... 😞 eh its a boo boo.

I know, right? I get worse trying to vacuum...