Interesting Studies: Probably low carb related in one way or another

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    I didn't link to this here (because it was clearly BS) but it popped up in the forums in the latest outbreak of low-carb-will-kill-you posts so it's worth mentioning the retraction due to "concerns with data integrity and an undisclosed conflict of interest by the lead author". Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Zach Bitter (low carb athlete) set the record for the fastest recorded 100 mile trail run. (12:08:36)

"It kind of starts a week out for a goal race. First 4-5 days of week I go very low carb. 1-2 days out I bring back some carbs; usually in the form of potatoes, raw honey, melons berries. Race day I rely on body fat for fat burning energy and gradually use small amounts of carbs through the race." -Zach Bitter

Source

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Re: Effects of a low carbohydrate diet on energy expenditure during weight loss maintenance: randomized trial

Medium: Major Study Supports Carbohydrate-Insulin Model of Obesity
    by David Ludwig

Source

Related critique by Hall via Freedhoff

Fascinating study. I was going to post it myself.
    Thanks.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Creative study.

I found it interesting because I am one of those people who tend to magically lose weight, or manage weight with ease, when I switch to low carb diets. When I eat 1500 kcal a day, I can lose 2-3 lbs a week which translates into a TDEE of about 2500kcal. If I eat more carbs I gain at 2500 though. This could explain my experiences somewhat... I am someone who had slightly elevated insulin (prediabetic) too and it appears it could apply more to people like me.

I'm looking forward to more studies on this.

And i am the opposite.. when i cut fat, i do so much better, which sucks a but because i love quality cheese and guacamole. It might help that i am insulin sensitive and you are insulin resistant.

Here is a good meta-analysis comparing the two diets.

https://examine.com/nutrition/low-fat-vs-low-carb-for-weight-loss/
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Peer-reviewed case study: Long-term LCHF Diet Impairs Performance and Subjective Well-Being in a World Class Vegetarian Long-Distance Triathlete:

https://journals.humankinetics.com/doi/full/10.1123/ijsnem.2018-0124
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Creative study.

I found it interesting because I am one of those people who tend to magically lose weight, or manage weight with ease, when I switch to low carb diets. When I eat 1500 kcal a day, I can lose 2-3 lbs a week which translates into a TDEE of about 2500kcal. If I eat more carbs I gain at 2500 though. This could explain my experiences somewhat... I am someone who had slightly elevated insulin (prediabetic) too and it appears it could apply more to people like me.

In am truly interested in the study, but in think Kevin Hall pokes a few holes in it. Basically the body burns calories differently after weight loss when shifting fuel sources. I run a moderate carb, 40% range, and the study is true, I do get a slight bump. I just can't go 20% carbs. Volume fills me up, not fat.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Creative study.

I'm not terribly excited about any one study but it's proper science like all of NuSi's studies to date - and that I am excited about because it's so rare in nutrition. It raises good, testable questions and adds to the knowledge base. I know low carb works differently for me than calorie restriction alone and I'm very interested in learning why that is. :)

I agree with you and Ludwig and hope there's follow through.

• AlabasterVerve
    I didn't read the study but agree with the opinion.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    :# Liquid meals.... fun.

I agree. Low carb makes more sense, especially for those who are not overweight or significanty overweight. IF caloric restriction does the same thing but with real food.

I suppose this might suit some but its the afterwards that may be an issue for those people. JMO
  • AlabasterVerve
    The effect of dietary carbohydrate on gastroesophageal reflux disease.

CONCLUSION:

More acid reflux symptoms are found after high carbohydrate diet. High carbohydrate diet could induce more acid reflux in low esophagus and more reflux symptoms in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease.

Source
  • scottwblack
    scottwblack Posts: 26 Member
    Wow. This is a terrific thread! If only all MFP comment threads could be this informative. Thank you, @AlabasterVerve!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Agreed. It's the only MFP thread that I follow (click the little sat near the top of the page just above the page numbers).