November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    A short 5.15 km Sunday morning group run. Out on the Westbrook rd and returned on the bush trails around the bottom of our ski hill - legs are still a little hammered out from the 7 Peaks Challenge and Adult Swim club.

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    I've been asked by a new acquaintance to teach her how to run.

Just tell her the core of if it is to go: left, right, left right, and repeat. Make sure she never does right, left, right left, or it will be a disaster. That is really all you need to know.

So THAT'S my problem. I've been doing left, left, right, right. No wonder I'm so slow...

Well duh! Slow down and focus on the order. If you do not get the basics right, you will cripple your entire career! :wink:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

Just tell her the core of if it is to go: left, right, left right, and repeat. Make sure she never does right, left, right left, or it will be a disaster. That is really all you need to know.

So THAT'S my problem. I've been doing left, left, right, right. No wonder I'm so slow...

There's a couple I've seen at several local 5ks who SKIP the whole distance! So left, left, right, right can work, it's just much, much harder.

show offs :wink:
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,993 Member
    Options
    Great race @noblsheep ! I love the international medal!
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Just checked the weather for my 5 mile turkey trot on Thursday and holy *kitten* it’s gonna be cold. A high of 21 degrees but will most likely be between 10 and 15 degrees so I will most certainly be freezing my *kitten* off! Guess I’m gonna have to invest in a warm running jacket for Thursday and hope I don’t get frostbite.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

Get fitted for decent shoes, sounds like you have two lefts (or two rights)
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep well done on your 10k!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart - I am sorry the attire for the run was annoying but you could look at it as a NSV (looser clothes are awesome!) and an opportunity for some retail therapy (new running gear is awesome!).
    @noblsheep - Congratulations! Great bling!! Also love the Dino costume, it is one of the best I have seen!
    @polskagirl01 - I have been so surprised by the knowledge of English across Europe and in Latin America as well. My SIL learned it in school in Luxembourg along with several other languages and her father and brother were fluent as they used it in their business dealings with American companies. Other than in the French country side pretty much everywhere I went people wanted to speak English with me so they could 'practice' especially (surprisingly) in the small villages.
    @biketheworld - I think it was @polskagirl01 who recently 'trained' a friend with starting to run and may be able to give you some tips. I believe she had her friend use C25k and they ran together to keep her friend accountable.
    @mbaker566 - your pups are too darn cute! Love the foster's face. He would be so hard to resist!
    @amirahdaboss - just keep moving and wear gloves :)
    @midwesterner85 - what is the optional detour? Pictures? Bling?
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Welcome back @dkabambe! As @Scott6255 mentioned we are still a very busy, chatty group. I do think we are now maybe more international with some folks in Europe, Asia and Australia.
    Congratulations on finishing the London Marathon!!

Welcome to the group @kevsangb - we have several who are following C25K too.

@ddmom0811 - yah I couldn't give up lifting, I just love feeling strong and being able to do things people don't expect me to be able to do :lol: We even worked it in when I broke my arm as well as when I had the surgery on my hand. Those times it was all lower body focused and this time more core and upper body!

@Beka3695 - I love having a race to work toward and the feeling of accomplishment afterwards!

@sarahthes - I am right there with you on the retail therapy! I spent a couple of hours yesterday reading up on different shoes to replace my Topo's but have not found any yet. I really want to keep in the 0 drop realm but other than Altra's which I have a love hate relationship with, most of the traditional running shoes the doctor would like me to use, seem to have 10-12 drop.

@youngcaseyr - you might look into doing some exercises while you are resting, to strengthen your hips and glutes. It made a huge difference for me at least in getting rid of a nagging hamstring issue.

@shanaber what kinds of hip and glute exercises did you do? I thought I resolved my hamstring issues over the spring and summer but I might need to try something else since it seems to have resurfaced as a compound hamstring/knee problem.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 - great job on going the extra mile on your marathon ;) ! You are almost in 'ultra' status now!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

@PastorVincent I go right, left, right, left but I'm in the southern hemisphere, so it's back to front here, bit like how water goes down the drain the opposite direction.

I would expect nothing less from people that are upside down their whole life.