What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I've discovered, in another thread, that I've got some unpopular views regarding tinned chicken, microwave rice and steam fresh veggies.

IMO, they're great. Convenience is a wonderful thing.

Others aren't as enamoured with them.

I live off of frozen vegetables. The only vegetables I buy fresh are asparagus and peppers (sometimes baby carrots), but honestly I like to have a variety of vegetables so having frozen helps me not have to run through all of them like a mad woman before they go bad.

As for canned chicken... I mean people don’t side eye canned tuna. I personally wouldn’t try it, but doesn’t seem odd. Microwave rice is a no for me because I hate soft
    /mushy sticky rice and that’s what i feel would happen with that lol.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    admaarie wrote: »
    I've discovered, in another thread, that I've got some unpopular views regarding tinned chicken, microwave rice and steam fresh veggies.

I live off of frozen vegetables. The only vegetables I buy fresh are asparagus and peppers (sometimes baby carrots), but honestly I like to have a variety of vegetables so having frozen helps me not have to run through all of them like a mad woman before they go bad.

As for canned chicken... I mean people don’t side eye canned tuna. I personally wouldn’t try it, but doesn’t seem odd. Microwave rice is a no for me because I hate soft
    /mushy sticky rice and that’s what i feel would happen with that lol.

Yes ... I get fresh veggies from time to time, but the frozen are wonderful.

As for canned chicken ... I like the flavour better than tuna and it is lower in calories. I use it in soups, with pastas, with the rice, mixed with a bit of light Caesar salad dressing in sandwiches, and all sorts.

And the rice is actually not bad. The individual ones are quite dry ... possibly slightly too dry, but I mix in the chicken and veg and it's good. That's my usual lunch. :)

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

I thought canned chicken sounded terrible until I tried it. Definitely very much like canned tuna. I feel like people expect something like what Ashens tested in his video (whole canned chicken).

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited November 2018
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Roasted Brussels sprouts are the best vegetable.

Sometimes I think you are my twin, separated at birth. It's not my single favorite, but I get it infrequently enough that I will have some whenever it's available. I like them cut in half, flat side up, lightly sprayed with olive oil and Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning fresh ground over them.

Speaking of Trader Joe's and Brussels sprouts, it's my favorite time of year. They're selling the whole stalks very cheaply right now.

I love the tasty suckers, but they do tend to be expensive.

Hmm, now that I have a new vegetable garden bed, maybe I will grow some Brussels sprouts next year.

/runs off to google something/

Drat, wood chucks love anything in the cabbage family >.<

I have all winter to plan my garden. We really need a garden thread wherever it would fit in.

I'd love that, because I want to learn how to.

I can't dig for one, there's far too many tree roots, but we have sun and I'm sure I could do raised beds. If I only knew how.

There are lots of online sources for how to's on gardening. State universities, their websites will have an .edu address, can help with your particular area based on growing season and such. Raised beds are awesome. I have quite a few and it makes gardening so much easier.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    I don’t like popcorn. I don’t see why people eat it.

I feel similarly. I have always felt like popcorn was a disappointing snack even at the movies. No seasoning/toppings really help it, either, in my opinion. My dad loves those huge tins of holiday popcorn with cheese, caramel & butter (or fancier flavors) and I think they're pretty gross.

There's a food truck near me that sells those flavors, plus chocolate, kettle corn, cheddar jalapeno, and garlic parmesan. I had the garlic and cheddar jalapeno mixed together, sooooo good.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    All this talk about ice cream reminded me that I really don't care for hot fudge on ice cream (or anything hot, really). It becomes a soupy mess. I actually don't like very much on my ice cream at all; maybe some sprinkles or cookie dough.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I don’t like popcorn. I don’t see why people eat it.

I feel similarly. I have always felt like popcorn was a disappointing snack even at the movies. No seasoning/toppings really help it, either, in my opinion. My dad loves those huge tins of holiday popcorn with cheese, caramel & butter (or fancier flavors) and I think they're pretty gross.

There's a food truck near me that sells those flavors, plus chocolate, kettle corn, cheddar jalapeno, and garlic parmesan. I had the garlic and cheddar jalapeno mixed together, sooooo good.

Unlike a prior poster, I do like my popcorn sweet, but unlike you, savory is a "not so much" with me. White cheddar is kind of ok for a couple of handfuls until the powdered cheese after taste starts kicking in. Caramel and chocolate I am good with. Buttered movie popcorn is another "a little goes a long way" snack for me. Yeah, thanks, I will take a handful; no thanks, no more...
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited November 2018
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Trader Joe's is overrated.

There are 3 or 4 things I get there that I can't find anywhere else. One is their brand of a seasoning - Everyday Seasoning - that I could probably find an equivalent for. The others are not explicitly their brand, but items that I can't seem to find anywhere else. But overall, I agree. Out of all of the thousands of things they stock, that's a pretty small amount that I find worthwhile. If I didn't have one that is really convenient to swing by, I would never go.

I also think Whole Foods is over rated with a caveat - I don't think there is a difference in many of their products, especially produce and the difference in many of their products is worth the difference in price. For hard core "natural only" consumers, there are a number of items that you will be hard pressed to find anywhere else. Their food bar is really good, but it is restaurant quality food at restaurant prices and like all food bars if you get there at the wrong time it is far from amazing.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Trader Joe's is overrated.

There are 3 or 4 things I get there that I can't find anywhere else. One is their brand of a seasoning - Everyday Seasoning - that I could probably find an equivalent for. The others are not explicitly their brand, but items that I can't seem to find anywhere else. But overall, I agree. Out of all of the thousands of things they stock, that's a pretty small amount that I find worthwhile. If I didn't have one that is really convenient to swing by, I would never go.

I also think Whole Foods is over rated with a caveat - I don't think there is a difference in many of their products, especially produce and the difference in many of their products is worth the difference in price. For hard core "natural only" consumers, there are a number of items that you will be hard pressed to find anywhere else. Their food bar is really good, but it is restaurant quality food at restaurant prices and like all food bars if you get there at the wrong time it is far from amazing.

They have a salsa that I love, and will go in specifically for that salsa. But it's all I get there. Nothing else is worth it, IMO.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Hot dogs - take a questionable meat source, grind it down into a liquid-like emulsion, and then pack it in a cellulose casing of unknown material - and yet people seem to really love them.
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Avocado is yucky
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited November 2018
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Hot dogs - take a questionable meat source, grind it down into a liquid-like emulsion, and then pack it in a cellulose casing of unknown material - and yet people seem to really love them.

Cellulose...

Was the last hot dog you had wrapped in a cellulose casing made out of cotton linters or wood pulp?
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    edited November 2018
    cottage cheese > skyr > greek yogurt

(picky about my cottage cheese brands tho)
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    I don't like pasta, never eat it when I'm out and if I cook it at home for my family my sauce goes on potatoes instead. I've never met a single other person who agrees!

Cannot STAND pasta (or bread... or cereal... or potatoes... basically any starch). People think I'm crazy! I do like lasagna and manicotti though.