Done: 26/40

21/11/18 Run 7 km
    20/11/18 Run 7 km
    19/11/18 Run 6 km
    16/11/18 Run 6 km
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    @dewit - Welcome! I think you will find there are several here who run and bike or bike and run and some track both. You can certainly set goals for both if you want. There are also several moms and dads trying to fit running around their family time. Some run before the kids are up or after they are in bed or even take the kids with them. Also there are runners of all levels and abilities, fast, slow in-between and some run really far or just a mile or so.
    I think you will find lots of motivation, encouragement and ideas here!
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    11/1 15.13 miles, 185 days on the run
    11/2 17.38 miles
    11/3 15.3 miles
    11/4 22.17 miles
    11/5 16.23 miles
    11/6 15.35 miles, 190 days on the run
    11/7 16.49 miles, back went out while working with my elephants
    11/8 3.42 miles, keeping the streak alive, back spasms
    11/9 7.4 miles, back spasms
    11/10 7.56 miles, back spasms
    11/11 8.5 miles, 195 days on the run, spasms easing up
    11/12 7.49 miles, still have back spasms
    11/13 7.55 miles
    11/14 8.49 miles, ugh, still have back spasms
    11/15 10.3 miles, only two spasms during run!
    11/16 13.41 miles, 200 days on the run only two spasms during run!
    11/17 13.35 miles, no spasms during run, had some while sitting
    11/18 14.22 miles, no spasms during run, had some while sitting
    11/19 13.44 miles, no spasms during run, just while sitting
    11/20 13.54 miles, one twinge, one spasm during run
    11/21 14.69 miles, 205 days on the run, no spasms during run

I don't know HOW you manage to run with back spasms. I can barely walk for a few days when mine goes out. Major kudos!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls -do you work at the Elephant sanctuary??? We follow the elecams from time to time!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Got my race packet and bought two long sleeved running shirts for ten bucks. And I got the LAST PACKAGE OF LETTUCE in Cordova! Seriously, there was one giant package of baby spinach and a small box of arugula and that was it. Everything else has been removed from the shelves or was sold out.

In other news, I noticed while I was out that my chest felt tight and had a noticeable catch in it. Worried that I was coming down with something. Got home, suddenly chest feels fine. Looked up the news, and oh... it's the smoke from California.
    dgoiq5spf2by.png
    Look at that pathway, it goes right through Memphis!

I have mild asthma which is fine as long as I avoid allergens and sleep with an air filter running. It's been so long since I had an issue that I had forgotten what it felt like. Outside the horizon is visibly hazy. If it's bad enough here for me to feel it within an hour in a car, not exercising, I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for the poor people nearer to the fires, much less those in the fire zone. It's just terrifying to think what it must be like to have asthma in California right now.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Got my race packet and bought two long sleeved running shirts for ten bucks. And I got the LAST PACKAGE OF LETTUCE in Cordova! Seriously, there was one giant package of baby spinach and a small box of arugula and that was it. Everything else has been removed from the shelves or was sold out.

In other news, I noticed while I was out that my chest felt tight and had a noticeable catch in it. Worried that I was coming down with something. Got home, suddenly chest feels fine. Looked up the news, and oh... it's the smoke from California.
    dgoiq5spf2by.png
    Look at that pathway, it goes right through Memphis!

I have mild asthma which is fine as long as I avoid allergens and sleep with an air filter running. It's been so long since I had an issue that I had forgotten what it felt like. Outside the horizon is visibly hazy. If it's bad enough here for me to feel it within an hour in a car, not exercising, I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for the poor people nearer to the fires, much less those in the fire zone. It's just terrifying to think what it must be like to have asthma in California right now.
    @rheddmobile - Congrats on actually getting some lettuce!
    The smoke drift is pretty incredible. I know we get a lot here (So CA) and that @RunsOnEspresso does too but never thought about where it went beyond AZ. My husband has really bad allergies and asthma and has been wheezing and coughing for weeks between the dust from the winds and the smoke. His meds help some but there really isn't much we can do besides running the electronic air cleaner and keeping the house closed up which he hates!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Family arriving so no run today... not sure on next run. Le Sigh.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    In February, I bought a waist belt to keep my phone in on my runs. Loved it - used it to travel as well. When I got up to Wisconsin, the clasp broke! I bought a cheap Walmart arm band that is actually not bad, but not what I really want.

I know with longer mileage comes the need to hydrate, especially in warmer weather. What are the differences/benefits in the waist belts vs hand held ones? I did speak a bit to the guy @ the LRS (in cycling LBS is Little Bike Shop, so...Little Run Shop?) when I picked up my race packet to the Turkey Trot tomorrow & he did advise me of the added weight of the water. I do like having hands free, but I don't want to have a bunch of weight again around my waist! I do still like to have my phone with (music and safety).

There was a hand held bottle there that seemed decent, but wasn't 100% sure which was "better". (waist or hand)
    http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/bottles-handhelds/handhelds/hydraform-ergo-lite-ultra-16oz

• AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,905 Member
    Options
    @Beka3695 wrote: »
    @AlphaHowls -do you work at the Elephant sanctuary??? We follow the elecams from time to time!

No, my elephants are ears (plants). They are very heavy and I just call them my elephants. I do A LOT of yard work around my home.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    In February, I bought a waist belt to keep my phone in on my runs. Loved it - used it to travel as well. When I got up to Wisconsin, the clasp broke! I bought a cheap Walmart arm band that is actually not bad, but not what I really want.

I know with longer mileage comes the need to hydrate, especially in warmer weather. What are the differences/benefits in the waist belts vs hand held ones? I did speak a bit to the guy @ the LRS (in cycling LBS is Little Bike Shop, so...Little Run Shop?) when I picked up my race packet to the Turkey Trot tomorrow & he did advise me of the added weight of the water. I do like having hands free, but I don't want to have a bunch of weight again around my waist! I do still like to have my phone with (music and safety).

There was a hand held bottle there that seemed decent, but wasn't 100% sure which was "better". (waist or hand)
    http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/bottles-handhelds/handhelds/hydraform-ergo-lite-ultra-16oz

So if you are only talking about 1 small or medium sized bottle then waist verse hand is going to be personal preference. I like having my hand free to catch myself if I happen to trip over the thin air or have to fight a dog or whatever.

If you want to carry MORE than a waist belt, or backpack is required. So it comes to down to your personal tastes and how much water you need.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @dreamer12151 - I don't like having things in my hands or on my arms (took me a bit to get used to my watch for running) so I had one of the Fitletics belts for water bottles and my phone and anything else I needed to carry. You can modify how many bottles you want to carry which is nice. For me the only downside was that the bottles only come in one size. I would like to be able to have larger ones for longer runs but have managed ok with 2, one on each side of the pack. On the plus side they aren't super expensive and don't bounce.