WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Love all the art work ladies. I am definitely not talented that way. <3

Vicki - sorry to hear times are hard. Sometimes life just piles one thing on another. HUGS. <3

Back home after a lovely visit. It was so nice to be able to leave after fish and chips and catch the bus home. Enjoyed picking them up from school. Did lots of walking.

I managed to put a few boxes of photos in the upstairs wardrobe. Everything else, like old manuscripts, letters etc, will have to go into the eaves space. My spare published books are going under the stairs. I wish I could get rid of more stuff, but I can't bring myself to. Sentimental me. I live in hope that the Bodlean Library will want it all. :laugh:

Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Vicki GI (((Hugs)))

Hi, Lenora!

Karen in Virginia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you Lenora...sorry to hear things are a bit wonky...we missed you 😀
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Good to see you back Lenora. I am in the middle of a house hunt for son, so in skim mode for now.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,822 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,546 Member
    Options
    11emdawix3fr.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,546 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.49min, 139mhr, 12.1amph, 1.5mi= 92c
    ski machine- 42min, lvl17, resist 17, 132mhr, 1.75mi= 269c
    ride gym 2 dome- 5.57min, 134mhr, 14.8amph, 1.4mi= 75c
    ride puy 2 sumn station- 14.44min, 145mhr, 12.3amph, 3mi= 152c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.40min, 10.52min mi, 149mhr, .5mi= 67c
    jog wk 2 sumn sta- 4.19min, 9.27min mi, 153mhr, .4mi= 86c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 20.37min, 7.5amph, 138mhr, 2.5mi= 193c

total cal 934
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did one segment of 10MS Butt Lift DVD, held plank for 3 minutes, took the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jeanette Jenkins Bikini Boot Camp DVD.

Sue in TX – I’m really grateful that I had to take typing in high school. When I look at my daughter today on her keyboard, hunting and pecking – going quickly but having to look at the keys, I am so grateful that I learned touch type.

Lisa in AR – you made me smile when you said how you broke the only belt the teacher had for the treadle machine.

Allarounddice – congrats!

Barbara – I’m with you, I miss seeing people off on their flights. The other thing is, if you are waiting at an airport for someone, most of the food places are beyond security. I would think that the airports would WANT people to spend money.

Karen – great pics

Rita – alien Santa – love it! One question, how did you get to post a pic? When I went to post a pic, only the small thing on the bottom showed up. I always used to be able to post the pic. What did you click on?

Hi Lenora! Would love to see more of you

Michele in NC

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    26 Form of expression ... like many of you the written word is what I thought of first. But cooking/food has actually been a language I've received and one of given ... expressing love ...

Spent several hours outside in the pouring rain today finally getting things ready for winter outside. The early snow prevented me from taking down lawn furniture and securing the pool fence that is deteriorating in places (held up through the summer with overgrown vines/weeds), among other things. Anyways, every muscle is speaking loudly to me tonight ...

We're expecting anywhere between 10-20 inches of snow over the next 48 hours ... the midwest's blizzard heading this way. At least now I don't have summer and fall things scattered about.

Beth near Buffalo
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    One question, how did you get to post a pic? When I went to post a pic, only the small thing on the bottom showed up. I always used to be able to post the pic. What did you click on?

Michele in NC

There is an icon above the reply box that looks like a picture of a mountain with the moon above. Click on that and it will ask you to choose file. Find what you want on your computer, click "open" and it will post as a picture. That's what I did to post this picture of Bernie.

23i7bih56i8w.jpg

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Dr Katie: My memories of teaching “rules” are similar to yours. I “called in sick” if I was sick. I did walk out of parent conferences when my daughter went into labor in the middle of the evening. My student teacher took over & I headed home, packed & left for Colorado.. We drove most of the night, slept a few hours in a motel in E Idaho and were at the hospital in Colorado the next day. It was a difficult birth for my daughter and the baby, but they are both doing great now. :heart:

Michele: You’re way ahead of us on decorations. I envy your efficiency. :flowerforyou:

Kim (& Lisa): Kim, your advice to Lisa is excellent and full of good sense. :star:Lisa: I hope things go well for you, and remember you can skip the meeting for medical reasons if that is best. :flowerforyou:

(((Vicki)))

Lenora: I hope the doctors get your situation sorted out so that you can enjoy life again. I'm glad you stopped by. :flowerforyou:

We went shopping for a new dishwasher today and have probably found the right one. It isn’t a “done deal” yet. Our current dishwasher is still running after many years, but it is clearly old and tired. The dishracks are starting to rust in places where the plastic coatings have worn. DH is eager for a change.

DD would like me to get her daughter a toy sewing machine for Christmas. I found one at Joann's Fabrics, and the clerk said to avoid it. They don’t work well & break easily. I would rather get her a decent machine when she’s several years older, at least at Junior High level. She’s only 7 now. Advice and recommendations welcome.

Katla in OR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: It has been a long while since I had a hot flash, and I am so grateful for the absence of them. My doctor gave me “the pill” for birth control when I was a young woman. It was hideous and caused many hotflashes, quarrels and sleepless nights. DH threw my pills in the toilet and I flushed it. We found another form of birth control. As menopause came along it was the same song, second verse. I threw those pills away, too. Exercise & Vitamin D3 helped then & I still take D3. :flowerforyou:

[/b]

I have a genetic mutation: MTHFR combined with a predisposition toward high homocysteine levels. Because of this, I get blood clots, and had DVT in my left leg in 2009. I was in hospital 2 weeks with that ... my left leg was full of clots from above the knee all the way down. Then I was on Warfarin for a year.

Apparently it also means I have a lot of difficulty carrying a child to term ... which might explain a thing or two.

But what it also means is that HRT could kill me. HRT + all that would very likely result in clots. Last time they clogged up my left leg and left me with a few ongoing issues. Next time they could turn up anywhere. So I've got to go through this without HRT.

However, I am on a Serotonin-based medication which does help with the hot flashes a little bit. They used to be BIG and very frequent. They're smaller now and somewhat less frequent.

I'm also on Evening Primrose Oil, D3, Ginkgo Biloba, Valerian, all the B vitamins, and a few others.

M in Oz
  • prisoner2food
    prisoner2food Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hello
    New here but not to MFP. Had success a few years ago then blew it all by going back to work and having way too much stress. I am 62 now and need to get my shite together or I will die. Trying one day at a time really checking to see if I am hungry before I fill my yap.
    Daughter expecting twins by dec 3 so I will be spending half of dec and all of jan helping with those and her 20 mo old. Her husband is off for dec but I think it will take all hands on deck!!
    Beth- no snow here! Just rainstorm warnings.
    Cheers

Karen in BC
  • exermom
    Options
    qelyg4z71sn5.jpg

Thanks barbie

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    Options
    Karen in BC - welcome! Where does your daughter live in relation to you? Will you have to stay at her place or can you come home?

Michele in NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    Karen BC - Good luck with the twins. <3 You are so right about the "all hands on deck"!!! Have a few strategies in place for when you are tired and hungry, which will be all the time I guess! Protein bars, easy to heat soup, bananas, protein snacks like cottage cheese. You are so good to be going to help. My DMIL came to help me with my second baby. For ever grateful.

Up early, but I have had 6 hours sleep. Going to do more tidying away today. Bake the Christmas cake. Have my first bath, now that my new bath plug has arrived :D and do a bit of shopping for my coeliac friend who is visiting tomorrow. I've bought some gluten free seed bread. Unfortunately it looks like it will be raining, so it may be a bus expedition instead of a walk on the prom!

We have a rash of visitors coming, as expected with a new house. My friends, my elder son staying two nights, DH 's two daughters on separate days. Lots of catering for me! I'm going to make it easy on myself though.
    DON’T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx, who is hoping to jog today if it isn't raining.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    KarenBC Going to be busy with all those babies! Be sure to take what you need for self-care so you can be at your best for your happily stressed family. Welcome. We can be a very supportive oasis while you are at your daughter's house...and afterward!

Katla My advice: buy her a refurbished Singer Featherweight when she is a little older. She'll keep it forever. She'll probably get a fancier machine at some point, but nothing will replace that little Featherweight for simple straightforward sewing. Love, love, love my Featherweight.

NYKAREN I was thinking about the sadness in your daughter & how you are treading lightly right now. For some reason, it reminded me of my cousin Holly. I'm not sure what my aunt & uncle were thinking, but they allowed her to go to Detroit in the summer of 1967 on a church mission. She was 17. Fortunately, she came home safe & sound, but it was such a profound experience for her that she was atypically angry for a while. Right after she returned home, they came to visit us, and after a while, I asked her what was wrong (I was 13). She said it was hard to be in a safe cushy house with us, in such stark contrast to what she had left behind in Detroit. She told me just taking a hot shower made her feel incredibly guilty & profoundly grateful at the same time. It was transformative for her. It was enlightening for me. We were safe, and we had everything we needed, and I did take it for granted. I learned something important from my cousin that summer.

Karen in Virginia