WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    bjmcq - is that Joyce? If it is, I have been missing you loads. <3 So sorry to hear about your troubles.

Just been out for my jog along the seafront. Lovely sunny day and loads of people out strolling, running, cycling.

KJ - Saying "try not to worry" is worse than useless, but I'm sure you want definitive answers yesterday. These things do have a habit of being nothing in the end, but I'm sure you want to know. :#

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • stltrimom1015
    stltrimom1015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Holiday party tonight. Luckily I already know the menu (one advantage of being on the planning committee :) ), so I have an idea of what I'll be eating and can work that into the calorie count for the day. Friday's are usually the day that I get off track the most. After a long work week, I just don't want to think about dinner so we order out/eat out a lot more than we should. One of my New Year's resolutions - starting a month early - is to take time on the weekends to plan out meals, especially dinners, for the week ahead. I used to do it, but got out of the habit so I need to start doing it again. I also want to find some healthier recipes. We eat a lot of the same meals, which aren't all that bad, but include a lot of processed stuff (easier to make when you're pressed for time). I'd like to switch that over to more natural foods. It's just a matter of finding a way to do that in a limited amount of time.

Have a good weekend all!
    Janet in eastern MO
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    4h56m0zf0fhi.jpeg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Kelly- they have trees you can hang from the ceiling..check that out.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Lll
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Karen, BC—A mental trick I use when I know a food or snack is off limits, is to imagine it's not candy, chips, or cookies, but it's cigarettes. I grew up in a home where everyone smoked but me. It bugged me that my family couldn't give up the addiction, which cost money and health we couldn't afford. So now those peppermint patties I love, are cigarettes. I can't criticize someone for their addictions, and still give in to mine. If you're a smoker, choose another addiction to imagine—alcohol, drugs, shopping.

Machka—I want to thank you for the gratitude calendar. Being new here, it's helped me connect to so many wonderful people, sharing the things we all appreciate. It's great to get a glimpse of similarities we share, or a different perspective.

Heather—I love hearing how you care for all those around you. I caught my breath at the mention of your childhood friend in a nursing home, not knowing who she is. Heartbreaking. Another friend with cancer and a bleak outlook—so sad. 50+ means sometimes saying goodbye and letting go. I'm not ready for that—but who is?

Lisa in AR—I'm sorry you're having trouble keeping good habits in the evening. Maybe the stresses of the day make you let your guard down at night, in the safety of your home? Don't look at this as failure; you're coping with a lot. Maybe it's time to look at your evening routines, and see what is allowing or encouraging you to overindulge? The very same things that help us relax, could also keep us stuck when it comes to losing weight. Wine? Comfort food? Snacking in front of TV? Dessert?

The same intention and accountability that works during the day, can work for the evening. I make sure I finish my food log and total it for the day as soon as I finish dinner. I've found that brushing, flossing, and rinsing my teeth keeps me conscious as well. If I'm really tempted, I'll find something to do that keeps me too occupied to eat. Remind yourself of why you want to lose the weight. Reassess your reasons, and don't give up! You can do this; you're already a Wonder Woman in your career.

KJ—I love the idea of wrapping your pictures like presents. Now I want to try it myself. As to the cysts, I'm praying it's nothing. Worry and panic won't change anything, just breathe.

Penny—I remember an interview with hunky actor, Alexander Skarsgard. He was asked how he felt about doing nude scenes as his “True Blood” character. His response was great: (paraphrasing) “Are you kidding? I'm Scandinavian; we love nudity! We have nights that last for weeks, and nothing better to do than make love.”

It makes me grin, thinking of you outside in the dark, running from polar bears. (No, I don't wish that on you; it's just an image.) Maybe that's how you're a month ahead on your goal. I like to joke that the only way I'll ever be a runner, is if I was being chased. Keep up the good work!

Barbara—I've had Vader for a year and a half. He's had two eye surgeries since then, because Chows sometimes have a condition where their eyelids roll in or out, and can blind them if not treated. They're not supposed to breed them if they have it, but his first owner got him from a puppy mill. Our vet says he's the most unusual dog he's ever seen. He expected him to be aggressive, but Vader just sinks to the floor like a statue when he's stressed. For the safety of the staff, if he growls he muzzles him, but Vader has never even snapped at anyone. He sits still for shots and blood tests. He's the perfect dog for us.

Janet in MO—you can eat out and still watch your intake. We tend to skip places that don't have calorie counts on their menu. Lots of good choices if you look for them. I love Chick-fil-a, since I can get the kids meal with fruit. Wendy's has great chili and salads. We find places that grill, and offer vegetables as sides. It's my goal not to eat salad whenever possible. I don't appreciate rabbit food, and I'm always too tempted to cover it in cheese and dressing—which is worse than a burger.

If you can plan meals for the week, you're better than I am. I've got time, but I'm not good at looking ahead; things are too unpredictable at our house. Nothing worse than cooking a great meal, and hubs telling me he can't eat because his blood sugar's too high—leftovers are my weakness.

Pip—What is that on your puppy's lower eyelid?

I weighed myself this morning, and I've lost four pounds since yesterday. I didn't believe it, so after counting all my appendages, I stepped on the scale again—the same weight. I weigh at the same time, wearing the same thing, and I don't know what happened. Maybe my scale's drunk. I don't know if I should count it or not. Who am I kidding? I'm counting it! I'd count it if it was four pounds gained.

Now I need to navigate the Christmas party tomorrow, and not lose the progress.

Gratitude 30—Talent or skill. This is hard. Like Machka, I think of myself as a jack of all trades. I have a lot of likes and interests, (dance, quilting, sewing, crocheting, cooking, gardening, bicycling, singing, writing, politics, travel, kids, games, and crafts,) but don't really excel at any of them. One thing I have that others don't seem to, is an ability to see both sides of something. I can see the good or bad side, when others see it only one way. I can see both sides of an issue. I can empathize with people others would dismiss. Nothing is ever black or white to me; I see in shades of gray.

Cari in N. Texas
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Tracey ~ I like that ornament!

Carol in GA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    Cari in N Texas - I must have stopped watching True Blood before Skargard's nude scenes. :p Need to check Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Lisa
    - did you ever say why the comment about pajamas and the Christmas Party? I just saw tornado watches in your and Dana's neck of the woods! Stay safe!

Tracey - I agree, that ornament is really cute! Great eye for detail!

Heather - I admire you for opening your home to visitors. Sounds like there's enough to do around you to keep everyone busy and walking if they feel like it. I'm with you on loud music in restaurants. Not a place I want to go to.

Kelly - put me on the list for seeing that playhouse set up for Christmas!

OK, who in this group wear Birkenstocks and likes them? I know Karen in VA LOVES them big time, lol. My Acorn slippers don't have enough support anymore and I read somewhere that Birkenstocks - soft sole - are good for metatarsalgia and other foot problems. Toe taping is making a difference.

Rori - what do you do for slippers? My question would be to those of you who wear them do you wear them and if so do you have an orthotic?- barefoot or with socks and does it make any difference?

I've been thinking about my word(s) for 2019 - trending toward "Peace". Peace is about making peace with what my body is and does and not get down (and eat) because of achy foot and shoulder which hampers my exercise. And walking away from people/situations/anything that disturbs my peace and can trigger trips to the junk food shelf. Also, seeking peace. Being a peacemaker. Not disrupting someone else's peace, etc. o:)

Barbie, I think meditating and finding your "Peace" has helped you so much through your eventful 2018. Glad Jake is OK and no trip to the big city in the near future. Thank you in advance for setting us up for December!

Have a good weekend!

Lanette
    SW WA State

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Vionic is a good brand for orthodic slippers I’ve heard. I wear a slip-on rubber slipper called Sole and they work just great to help me prevent plantar fasciitis.

Crazy crazy crazy day, one thing after another, November for me has gone out with a bang. I hope to calm down and reflect for setting myself up for a successful/positive December.

NYKAREN
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    Options
    🎄🎄🎄
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :) Jake is feeling fine today. He went grocery shopping with me in the morning then to the gas station and out to a long lunch with a friend. A few minutes ago he brought in a bunch of firewood so we can have morning fires as the mornings get colder.

:) Thank you to all of you who have shared your words for this year and some of your ideas for next year. I have a list going to help me think things over before I make a choice.

:) It looks like I'll end the month with an average step count over 13,000. Last month it was over 11,000, the month before around 6,000 and the month before that just under 4,000. That's a good picture of my recovery from my back injury.

:) I'm going to work on the new thread and have it ready to post before I go to bed (2-3 hours from now).

1031910m5uhc2jyfc.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »

Rori - what do you do for slippers? My question would be to those of you who wear them do you wear them and if so do you have an orthotic?- barefoot or with socks and does it make any difference?

Have a good weekend!

Lanette
    SW WA State

Lanette: I wear Crocs around the house.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    :)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    lhscapil wrote: »

Have a good weekend!

Lanette
    SW WA State

Lanette: I wear Crocs around the house.

Thanks Rori, now that you mention it, I think Karen in VA loves her CROCS! Not sure where I got Birkenstocks, sheesh, lol. TGIF!

Lanette

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Lanette: It was a pajama party... whole bunch of business folk in their PJs, in a downtown conference room, middle of Little Rock, Arkansas. :) My boss was in a red plaid union suit, like long underwear, only red plaid (and she's a long, tall drink of water--it was a long stretch of plaid. She turned around, and it said Merry Christmas across her butt. At least I'll be working with people who have a sense of humor.

:)
    Nice change.
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Karen, BC—A mental trick I use when I know a food or snack is off limits, is to imagine it's not candy, chips, or cookies, but it's cigarettes. I grew up in a home where everyone smoked but me. It bugged me that my family couldn't give up the addiction, which cost money and health we couldn't afford. So now those peppermint patties I love, are cigarettes. I can't criticize someone for their addictions, and still give in to mine. If you're a smoker, choose another addiction to imagine—alcohol, drugs, shopping.

Machka—I want to thank you for the gratitude calendar. Being new here, it's helped me connect to so many wonderful people, sharing the things we all appreciate. It's great to get a glimpse of similarities we share, or a different perspective.

Heather—I love hearing how you care for all those around you. I caught my breath at the mention of your childhood friend in a nursing home, not knowing who she is. Heartbreaking. Another friend with cancer and a bleak outlook—so sad. 50+ means sometimes saying goodbye and letting go. I'm not ready for that—but who is?

Lisa in AR—I'm sorry you're having trouble keeping good habits in the evening. Maybe the stresses of the day make you let your guard down at night, in the safety of your home? Don't look at this as failure; you're coping with a lot. Maybe it's time to look at your evening routines, and see what is allowing or encouraging you to overindulge? The very same things that help us relax, could also keep us stuck when it comes to losing weight. Wine? Comfort food? Snacking in front of TV? Dessert?

The same intention and accountability that works during the day, can work for the evening. I make sure I finish my food log and total it for the day as soon as I finish dinner. I've found that brushing, flossing, and rinsing my teeth keeps me conscious as well. If I'm really tempted, I'll find something to do that keeps me too occupied to eat. Remind yourself of why you want to lose the weight. Reassess your reasons, and don't give up! You can do this; you're already a Wonder Woman in your career.

KJ—I love the idea of wrapping your pictures like presents. Now I want to try it myself. As to the cysts, I'm praying it's nothing. Worry and panic won't change anything, just breathe.

Penny—I remember an interview with hunky actor, Alexander Skarsgard. He was asked how he felt about doing nude scenes as his “True Blood” character. His response was great: (paraphrasing) “Are you kidding? I'm Scandinavian; we love nudity! We have nights that last for weeks, and nothing better to do than make love.”

It makes me grin, thinking of you outside in the dark, running from polar bears. (No, I don't wish that on you; it's just an image.) Maybe that's how you're a month ahead on your goal. I like to joke that the only way I'll ever be a runner, is if I was being chased. Keep up the good work!

Barbara—I've had Vader for a year and a half. He's had two eye surgeries since then, because Chows sometimes have a condition where their eyelids roll in or out, and can blind them if not treated. They're not supposed to breed them if they have it, but his first owner got him from a puppy mill. Our vet says he's the most unusual dog he's ever seen. He expected him to be aggressive, but Vader just sinks to the floor like a statue when he's stressed. For the safety of the staff, if he growls he muzzles him, but Vader has never even snapped at anyone. He sits still for shots and blood tests. He's the perfect dog for us.

Janet in MO—you can eat out and still watch your intake. We tend to skip places that don't have calorie counts on their menu. Lots of good choices if you look for them. I love Chick-fil-a, since I can get the kids meal with fruit. Wendy's has great chili and salads. We find places that grill, and offer vegetables as sides. It's my goal not to eat salad whenever possible. I don't appreciate rabbit food, and I'm always too tempted to cover it in cheese and dressing—which is worse than a burger.

If you can plan meals for the week, you're better than I am. I've got time, but I'm not good at looking ahead; things are too unpredictable at our house. Nothing worse than cooking a great meal, and hubs telling me he can't eat because his blood sugar's too high—leftovers are my weakness.

Pip—What is that on your puppy's lower eyelid?

I weighed myself this morning, and I've lost four pounds since yesterday. I didn't believe it, so after counting all my appendages, I stepped on the scale again—the same weight. I weigh at the same time, wearing the same thing, and I don't know what happened. Maybe my scale's drunk. I don't know if I should count it or not. Who am I kidding? I'm counting it! I'd count it if it was four pounds gained.

Now I need to navigate the Christmas party tomorrow, and not lose the progress.

Gratitude 30—Talent or skill. This is hard. Like Machka, I think of myself as a jack of all trades. I have a lot of likes and interests, (dance, quilting, sewing, crocheting, cooking, gardening, bicycling, singing, writing, politics, travel, kids, games, and crafts,) but don't really excel at any of them. One thing I have that others don't seem to, is an ability to see both sides of something. I can see the good or bad side, when others see it only one way. I can see both sides of an issue. I can empathize with people others would dismiss. Nothing is ever black or white to me; I see in shades of gray.

Cari in N. Texas

A bump, she’s had that for years, she’s too old I don’t wan to put her through surgery to remove it, hasn’t grown , doesn’t bother her, so it’s there
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Machka ... thanks for encouraging us to spend November in gratefulness. It was good to reflect on what I have and I very much enjoyed reading others' responses.

30 Skill/Talent ... the ability to keep on keeping on in any circumstance. Even when things seem hopeless, I do not quit. Call it perseverance or call it bullheaded ... it's an integral part of who I am.

Lanette ... I wear Crocs around the house too ... an old pair of sandal style ... with socks. Looks ridiculous but my feet (and back) thank me.

I am hoping to do some Christmas decorating this weekend. I used to go all out with multiple trees. There's a part of me that still wants to do that, but I don't get much help anymore with things like that so will probably scale things down.

Will check in with my November results and December goals tomorrow.

Beth near Buffalo

• pipcd34
    Options
    hya1ug14m3n1.jpeg