Worst advice you've seen on these boards

Options

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    *munches popcorn*

can you please pass the bowl>? I'll share my wine....

Speaking of the bowl...
    *spark* :laugh:
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Women should never lift anything heavier than a 5 pound dumbbell because it will make them 'bulky.' Sigh...
    i questioned the bulky arms thing the other day and some chick tried to tell me that i should be lifting 2 lb weights because 10 lb is way too heavy for me.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Jorra, are you one of those English majors or scientists?

Actually, yes. I am a scientist. If you can't understand the concept of weight and density, which you should have learned in middle school physics, you are obviously not ever going to understand this. If you don't understand the complete similarity between the words weight and heavy, which you should have learned in elementary school English, you are especially not going to get this.

Jorra, you are a scientist and you claim that although two things weigh the same, one can't be heavier than the next.

You can't tell me how come some people can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper and not pick up a 10lb dumbbell.

Do you even lift weights?

Anyone who can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper can also pick up a 10 lb dumbbell.

Both weigh 10 lbs.

Neither one is heavier than the other, as the are both the same weight.

The dumbbell is more dense than the copy paper.

Any questions?
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Oh, God... I can't breathe! :laugh:
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    i am crying in laughter.

hahahahaha. definitely wanting to make popcorn now to watch this...

actually I will probably report this.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Maybe next you can give us your take on net calories. That should be a new thread though because we'll need at least 20 more pages.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

Actually, yes. I am a scientist. If you can't understand the concept of weight and density, which you should have learned in middle school physics, you are obviously not ever going to understand this. If you don't understand the complete similarity between the words weight and heavy, which you should have learned in elementary school English, you are especially not going to get this.

Jorra, you are a scientist and you claim that although two things weigh the same, one can't be heavier than the next.

You can't tell me how come some people can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper and not pick up a 10lb dumbbell.

Owwww Owwww Owwww Owww axe me if i lift those heavy things (Raising hand raising hand)
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

Perhaps Jorra lifts 10 lb bags of feathers and rice? :laugh:

This thread has me crying from laughing so hard. Thanks everyone for a good laugh, I needed it!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Pants

what? lol
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

Yes, I claim that because it's correct. Not even science can tell me why you don't understand that.

The mind over matter hypothesis is absolutely correct. Your own perceptions of the dumbbell and ream of paper affect how you perceive their weight. You know they weigh they same, only the idea that one is a dumbbell makes it harder for you to lift. You perception is that dumbbells are heavy and you can't lift them, therefore you can't. You don't perceive paper to be heavy, so you don't struggle with it.

Yes, I lift weights. I also lift reams of paper. I have no trouble with either, especially when they have the same weight.

THANK YOU!!!! Damn, I KNEW I was smart!
  • Ajbays10
    Ajbays10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Women should never lift anything heavier than a 5 pound dumbbell because it will make them 'bulky.' Sigh...
    i questioned the bulky arms thing the other day and some chick tried to tell me that i should be lifting 2 lb weights because 10 lb is way too heavy for me.

O you can lift a 10 lb dumbell??? Can you also lift a 10lb reem of paper???:laugh:
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

Maybe Jorra lifts 10 lb bags of rice and feathers?!!!:laugh:

This thread has me in tears from laughing so hard. Thanks everyone for a good laugh!
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    *munched on nuts*
  • bry_all01
    Options
    The definition of how heavy something is, is a result of the force of gravity pulling on matter. Weight, on the other hand, is a measure of mass.

Force=(mass) x (acceleration)

So using the 10 lbs or muscle to 10 lbs of fat argument...

Pounds is a measure of mass. Last I checked, we are on Earth. Therefore acceleration is 9.80665 meters/second squared (or gravity). So next: to solve for force (or how heavy an object appears on Earth) we input into our equation.

If you input 10 lbs of muscle into the equation to determine how heavy something is (force), you get this:
    Force=(10) x (9.80665)

If you input 10 lbs of fat into the equation, you get this:
    Force=(10) x (9.80665)

Both equations will yield 98.0665 lb-meters/second squared.

Therefore 10 pounds of muscle is just as heavy as 10 pounds of fat and vice versa. :drinker:

So we can choose to put our trust in Sir Isaac Newton or accept that maybe you have just discovered a new type of physics. I'm not sure...

holy batballs! I felt smart for all of a milisecond, then this made my brain hurt... doh!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Maybe next you can give us your take on net calories. That should be a new thread though because we'll need at least 20 more pages.

Exercise calories are heavier than regular ones. :indifferent:
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Oh, God... I can't breathe! :laugh:

I would give you mouth to mouth but I am too busy eating the popcorn...sorry :tongue:
  • bry_all01
    Options
    *shares popcorn with everyone*

Thanks Heather!!!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    The definition of how heavy something is, is a result of the force of gravity pulling on matter. Weight, on the other hand, is a measure of mass.

Force=(mass) x (acceleration)

So using the 10 lbs or muscle to 10 lbs of fat argument...

Pounds is a measure of mass. Last I checked, we are on Earth. Therefore acceleration is 9.80665 meters/second squared (or gravity). So next: to solve for force (or how heavy an object appears on Earth) we input into our equation.

If you input 10 lbs of muscle into the equation to determine how heavy something is (force), you get this:
    Force=(10) x (9.80665)

If you input 10 lbs of fat into the equation, you get this:
    Force=(10) x (9.80665)

Both equations will yield 98.0665 lb-meters/second squared.

Therefore 10 pounds of muscle is just as heavy as 10 pounds of fat and vice versa. :drinker:

So we can choose to put our trust in Sir Isaac Newton or accept that maybe you have just discovered a new type of physics. I'm not sure...

Finally some physics up in here! <3 YOU!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Bry_all01, I didn't quote you, because I don't cuss or like to see other people cuss.

There's a reason why some people can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper and not a 10lb weight. I will not give the answer away.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    SQUIRREL!