December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I already posted this to the Facebook group, but look what I get to run in today! I'm definitely running in my Goretex trail shoes! (The new ones.)

Gonna try to push distance a bit.

0yr47a27w9lh.jpg

It looks beautiful out there

It's gorgeous. That pic was just after sunrise. Temperature is nice right now but it will drop by the time I get out. Supposed to be around -9C by the time I get home from work.

The roads, however, are appalling. I'm glad I work close to home.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    12.2: 4.5 @ 9:10/M (4.5) Easy Run

Goal is 120.5M. 117 to go. :)

Apparently I was too tired this morning after my flight to Germany to do math.

12.2: 4.5 @ 9:10/M (4.5) Easy Run
    12.3: 4.0 @ 9:05/M (8.5) Easy Run

8.5 of 120.5 complete.

Was supposed to do some speed work but I’m getting a lot of discomfort on my right hip bone that extends up my side, especially when I lean or twist left. I can’t massage it our stretch it out so I ran an easy run today. Could a tight IT band give me pain above my hip bone? I feel it’s inflamed and it feels like little knots around my hip bone. Weight doesn’t bother it but it stiffens up even after a few minutes of sitting.

Could be IT band. But I'd focus on the TFL and medial glute. Maybe even massage out/stretch the psoas too.
  • Butterchop
    Butterchop Posts: 203 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Run the Year team

Yay! Let's do this! Looks like we sign up as individuals, choose an awesome team name and go from there.

Embrace The Suckers

gets my vote, not that I am going to be on the team... :)

Jeez. No way am i embracing any sucker.

Lets get signed up. Then i suppose we could guess at our miles, add an additional person and perhaps even compete against each mfp team.

So after we get signed up.. start with 2-3 team captains? (I hate picking teams, last kid picked- sorry to whomever gets me. I'll try hard).

Unless someone had an easier way to go about it???

I would definitely be part of a team too.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    I am so excited other people are excited about the Run the Year Challenge! lol

Maybe we can post our roughly estimated yearly 2019 mileage and team up based on those estimates?

I estimate 1,500 miles in 2019 (barring serious injuries-god forbid).
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Dang, at 55 years old this lady is killing it:

http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a25361595/four-american-records-in-four-months

She would crush me in any race that is for sure!

Pretty much the same age as me, and started running at the same age as me as well. And that's where the similarities end. I can only dream of those race times. I hope she continues to smash those records.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited December 2018
    @Elise4270
    I have one more question....
    With the cold dry air my face is so dry. I need to use lotion. Which seems to cause a small amount of pimples. I've used Vaseline but it too seem to cause some blemishes. Any go to products, a face friendly favorite?

I missed this question. I also have super sensitive skin. Clinique is great but expensive. The Benefit brand also works for me - but is expensive.

Cheap things that work: Oil of Olay lotion - the old fashion kind without sunscreens or fancy anti-aging (aka - rash inducing) agents. The St. Ives Oatmeal based soap products also work well. Carmex for a really chapped lips or nose.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    12/1 - 7mph for 1 hour @ 4% grade
    12/2 - 7 miles
    12/3 - 7mph for 1 hour @ 4% grade

Upcoming Races
    Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • Elise4270
    noblsheep wrote: »
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Air quality has been funky lately, and it doesn't look like it's getting any better for December. Plus *kitten* has hit the fan at work - people have been quitting left and right, and we are a small department so that's a lot of slack to pull. But meh, excuses. Going for 60km this month, with hopefully more lifting.

Monthly question 1: inspirations
    Y'all. What everybody else said.

Monthly question 2: 2019 goals
    Run more consistently. Averaging out at 25km a week would be nice. Oh and I'd really like to do a 50k trail race.

That must be going around. I swear we're on the verge of mutiny. I bought headphones for work so i don't have to listen to it all day long.

Good luck in 2019 for a 50k. I think the one in Hawaii is still open for registration, if you wanna/need to get away and join us! :smiley:

End of year blues I guess. Can't pull a 50k out of my hat just yet, but hmmm, you've got me thinking! :|

Its a relay.... Still counts, right?
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2018
    Yay! I'm so excited to do groups and compete against other groups -for motivation!

So... @amymoreorless wasnt this your idea? You wanna head it up? We could start a separate thread. Post anticipated 2019 miles and see how many groups we'd have?

Everyone get registered and think on those awesome team names... So far i got: red, blue, green....Ravenclaw, Slytherin, Hufflepuff... and the golden snitch! Catch me! Hahaha!

ETA duh me. There's no real hurry to sign up. I'm sure you can join well in to the year, like march. So if December's "running/entertainment" fund is spend/earmarked, join when possible. I haven't been running, hence my running fund is nearing a Merrill Lynch contribution and I forget yall gots other stuffs and are not eagerly awaiting a running registration. Haha!

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    @Elise4270
    I have one more question....
    With the cold dry air my face is so dry. I need to use lotion. Which seems to cause a small amount of pimples. I've used Vaseline but it too seem to cause some blemishes. Any go to products, a face friendly favorite?

I missed this question. I also have super sensitive skin. Clinique is great but expensive. The Benefit brand also works for me - but is expensive.

Cheap things that work: Oil of Olay lotion - the old fashion kind without sunscreens or fancy anti-aging (aka - rash inducing) agents. The St. Ives Oatmeal based soap products also work well. Carmex for a really chapped lips or nose.

I put Burt's bees on my nose and the corners of my mouth when it's below freezing.