December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Carman’s Women’s Half Marathon 2018.

In my 4th Half Marathon event in 5 weeks today, I did my official HM PB!! 2:08:08.

After the previous Sunday’s beast of a HM (700m elevation), my legs were wrecked for 3 days, so I did an experiment and didn’t run for the whole week to give them proper rest. Success!!!

3whsze5q4zzi.jpeg

4uqryfcsk02i.jpeg

Love doing this event that's all women, in aid of breast cancer. Did the HM in 2016 which stood as my PB, until today.

Congratulations and well. Done!!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Feeling sad and irritated today. Tested my leg on a short run after a whole week off only to find it's even worse than ever and I was forced to stop after 4km. No idea what I've done - when at rest, the calf seems to be the problem - very knotted, but when I'm running it's achilles pain which stops me, although I can use it without any pain doing calf raises and stretches. At the moment, sitting here six hours after my gentle jog, I can feel my calf and hip. Have booked into to see a sports physio on Wednesday and won't be running on it before then!

Noooo hugs! I hope the physio helps. Hopefully a good (painful) deep massage is what you née. Hugs!

PS you have to be better for the 27/28th cause I'm in Auckland, staying in St lukes area and if you are around, available and not completely overwhelmed with Christmas, I wanna go on a run with you!

Thanks @Avidkeo, I better be better by then. However, we’re away until the 29th so we won’t be able to run with you.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Where abouts in UK are you going to be?

Hubby will be doing some work near Lincoln, so I’ll be staying there with him. I’ll get a day of sightseeing in London as well, and I hope to head over to Nottingham too.

Enjoy! The gallerys of justice in Nottingham are great fun!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Carman’s Women’s Half Marathon 2018.

In my 4th Half Marathon event in 5 weeks today, I did my official HM PB!! 2:08:08.

Yay!!! Well done!!
  • zerlinna87
    zerlinna87 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic, @PastorVincent , @Avidkeo thanks for the input. I think we're going to go with the vivosmart. @Avidkeo , I also have the viviactive 3, and I really like it. It's my first smart/fitness watch. I think it does a great job for the price. I would get her that one, but I know she doesn't like how big the watch face is. The vivosmart is waterproof, and it tracks steps and cycling. I think she'll be happy with it, especially since it's her first fitness tracker.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,984 Member
    Options
    @Contrary_MaryM I'm sorry about your leg issues! I hope the doctor can figure out what is going on.

@Orphia Great job on your PB in the HM!!! Excellent time and a great cause.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    RoseAddow wrote: »
    I just started a new running challenge! Today was a short walk at a moderate pace. Starting my treadmill tomorrow and I’m stoked! I miss running like I used to haha. Anyone have suggestions on what incline I should use that’s good for a beginner but also not too easy? I’m thinking 2% but I could be wrong. Also please feel free to add me I just started on here today and could use an extra friend or two! 😁

Sent you a FR. I think TM run with whatever incline suites you. I like a negative incline or none at all. Others here might run 4%+ (@pastorvincent is a hill beast). So you do you and dont give up!
    Welcome to the group!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,983 Member
    Options
    Great job and congrats on your new PB @Orphia !!
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2018
    Options
    And newbies don't forget if you use Strava, come join us there too!

Monthly question number 2
    Next year when you pop in here claiming your
    December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

If you missed the first MQ, it was: who inspires you as a runner? courtesy of @rheddmobile

I have one more question....
    With the cold dry air my face is so dry. I need to use lotion. Which seems to cause a small amount of pimples. I've used Vaseline but it too seem to cause some blemishes. Any go to products, a face friendly favorite?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @amirahdaboss I don't think that sounds vain at all. We should be inspired by our accomplishments. If we weren't inspired or encouraged by them, i dont think we'd keep at it. Running does wonders for self discipline, self confidence and that since of accomplishment. We all need more of that in our lives.

I wouldn't trust US sizes. I think some time ago they were changed. When i was 18, 118 lbs i wore a size 7-8 in pants. Today i wear a 4-6 and about 5 pounds heavier. I remember being shocked as a young adult seeing female weight lifters that weighed the same a i did, but they were huge, er riped. But larger yet smaller it was so shocking to see how different the body looks and weight is the same.

I saw an image of several women the same weight but very different shapes. I cant find it exactly but heres an example.
    https://goo.gl/images/cbxJsH
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Happy birthday @zeesparrow !
    I love hearing everyone's motivation and personal journeys.

Im still thinking on my answer.